Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 11:08 AM   #1
DaveV
DaveV began at the beginning.

Device: none
NOOK Glowlight Plus Question

Hi all - I have been using an Amazon Paperwhite for years, and am considering a Glight PLus for a second reader. My question is about library books via OVERDRIVE - can you get them over WiFi like Amazon delivers them, or do you have to download them onto a computer and then transfer via USB Cable? Also, can you put it in "Airplane Mode" so as to keep the borrow from expiring until you finish it, like the Kindle? Thanks!
DaveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:01 AM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
The Glowlight Plus is now discontinued I got the new Glowlight 3 and love it. It is less buggy. I do not know how to use overdrive for I buy all my books. I use both kindle and a nook. I would email B&N customer service or search the internet. I do recommend you get the new nook if you can, its on sale for $99.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #3
GeorgeYellow
Enthusiast
GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!GeorgeYellow is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook, Kindle
Installing overdrive on the Nook is technically possible; but may require significant effort.

There is a current thread on xda-developers (nook-touch/general) which asks exactly this ("Nook Glowlight Plus").

In essence you sideload the necessary components to the Nook's Android OS, and install your own launcher.
GeorgeYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:42 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
Hi all - I have been using an Amazon Paperwhite for years, and am considering a Glight PLus for a second reader. My question is about library books via OVERDRIVE - can you get them over WiFi like Amazon delivers them, or do you have to download them onto a computer and then transfer via USB Cable? Also, can you put it in "Airplane Mode" so as to keep the borrow from expiring until you finish it, like the Kindle? Thanks!
No. I'm almost certain that you can not – not with a stock GlowLight Plus at any rate. The way Kindle handles Overdrive is nice. I can download Overdrive ePub books to my Sony PRS-T2 using the built-in web browser, but it's kind of a clunky way of doing it. The Overdrive app that came with the Sony no longer seems to work at all, however.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I just rented my first book via overdrive. on my library website its kindle only so I am guessing you have to go the hard way with the nook still.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I just rented my first book via overdrive. on my library website its kindle only so I am guessing you have to go the hard way with the nook still.
Most of the books at the Fort Worth library seem to be either Kindle or ePub, but I don't think there is any way to down directly to the Nook (without "jailbreaking"). I think you have to download to a PC and then use ADE to load the book on to the Nook. With my Sony PRS-T2 I can use the built-in browser to log in to my library's Overdrive page and download an ePub from the browser. There's an Overdrive app on the T2 but I don't think it works any more.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote