Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #1
gjjh25
gjjh25 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Screen Burn

Can i leave my device on all the time, i believe it doesn't use much power if it is left on, or do they suffer from screen burn?
gjjh25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Hi,

no, it doesn't- some eink devices even have images to signal that the device is off (like the icon with the latest Opus firmware) or "screensavers" you can choose (like with Pocketbooks). Don't worry- it just polarised the eink sheet the time you went to that particular page and it shouldn't, theoretically, consume (unless you leave the wireless on- if your model is the one with the wifi).
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 07:21 AM   #3
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
If screen burn is an issue, I wonder why iRiver implemented the (totally undocumented!) random classical artwork feature that kicks in after a period of inactivity? (I baulk at calling it a screen-saver, because the images are much more screen-intensive than any regular page of text.)

Unless I simply fall asleep while reading (oh so frequent!), I tend to shut my Story down after a session. Two reasons: since I'm not certain, I'm cautious about burning the screen; but mostly it's because I've found that when I let the Story just fall asleep because I have, when it wakes up it never quite remembers exactly where it left off, and usually re-opens the file to a spot three or four pages earlier. (I'm not sure why - maybe it's a flaw in the Story's OS - maybe it doesn't write its temporary bookmark correctly on going into sleep mode - but it could also be a flaw in the ePub format or in the file not being 100% compliant; either way, it tends to happen fairly often when I let the Story "sleep", but not when I return to the menu and intentionally shut it down.) It's not a big deal, I guess. (And if the screen gets burn-in and I can't use it, I'll just have to buy the new model with the higher-spec display!)
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Juliette,
Wow, what a collection of devices!

Do you own all of those at the moment, or are they the ones you've had over your ebook-reading history?

I know there are people who have multiple devices simultaneously, and I'm curious why. (Not critical, genuinely curious.)
Old 08-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
Bigape
Bigape began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story
Hi guys - I know it's my first post here, but I felt I had to jump in and comment.

Like MacEachaidh, I also tend to let my Story put itself to sleep (or at least I used to), but I've never noticed the 'forgettening the page' issue. The only time I've seen something similar is when using the quick browse function - holding down the page turn button which gives a bar across the bottom of the screen. You can then scroll quickly backwards and forwards through your book. If I cancel that function, it frequently starts the book 2 or 3 pages back.

I've also noticed that when letting the Story go to sleep on its own, the battery life takes a major nosedive. 5 days from fully charged to empty when I let it go to sleep (no shutting down at all) and nearly 3 weeks when shutting down at the end of each session. I'm reading a book every 2 - 3 days, so the 'page turn' usage has been fairly constant.

Finally, I'm just glas that I've found a community who use the Story, I thought I must have been the only one in the UK who had one
Bigape is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
MacEachaidh
Browser

Welcome to the Circle of the Wise, Bigape!
(Story users, I mean!)
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #7
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome also Bigape.
MacE, I also wondered about multiple eBook owners, I suppose they could be collected like some people collect firearms or cameras. To be used in different conditions or circumstances, or, for the sheer love of them.
sceadugenga is offline   Reply With Quote