Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #76
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I just called my BN. They have it for $199. Not on sale so I think I will wait to read some reviews. I am very interested.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #77
OrangeFlavored
Enthusiast
OrangeFlavored doesn't litterOrangeFlavored doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mars
Yeah my store knew of no such discount either, guy seemed somewhat surprised I would even suggest such a thing since it's a new product they just launched. Anyway since it's not discounted I guess I'll just wait for reviews, though I am still pretty interested in this to replace my old H2O that died on me yesterday (pretty sure the screen got busted somehow)
OrangeFlavored is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2019, 05:40 PM   #78
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I found the User's Guide online. It has sideloading instructions but no info about available memory for sideloaded content. I can't find any specifications.

https://dispatch.barnesandnoble.com/...User_Guide.pdf
And even in the user guide no picture or illustration of the device. But I see it does have Bluetooth and a headphone jack. Curious if the screen is inset or flush and whether it uses IR or a "capacitive" (is that a word?) screen.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #79
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFlavored View Post
Yeah my store knew of no such discount either, guy seemed somewhat surprised I would even suggest such a thing since it's a new product they just launched. Anyway since it's not discounted I guess I'll just wait for reviews, though I am still pretty interested in this to replace my old H2O that died on me yesterday (pretty sure the screen got busted somehow)
It looks like they applied the 20% discount that they weren't supposed to apply at that one store.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 PM   #80
wjhill
wjhill began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
As someone who bought one this AM let me try to answer a few comments:

I think the discount confusion is because there's an 20% off most stuff at B&N that isn't supposed to count for Nook items -- but sounds like in-house staff are confused. From the B&N coupon page:

Quote:
NOOK devices, NOOK Books, All LEGO® items in the Toys & Games Department & Gift Cards Excluded
Saw a couple comments about Sideloading, as I said before, works for me -- shows up as 6 gigs available. I updated to latest version of Nook's OS before trying.

I've not tried the headphone jack or Bluetooth yet; didn't buy it for those functions and can't see me using this for audiobooks over my phone.

Screen is inset so I'd expect it's using IR, as well. (Neither of these are dealbreakers for my use case/needs, to be clear.)
wjhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #81
wjhill
wjhill began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Oh -- the discount that does apply is a B&N membership; I renewed my long-expired one for $25 which knocked $20 off the price of this Nook.

That said, if you don't already have the membership, it's not worth it unless you buy a goodly number of paper books from them, as the membership discount doesn't apply to Nook books.
wjhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #82
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Before you leave the store, make sure yours doesn't have a dead pixel.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #83
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
I went into the new B&N near me and bought one today. There was a sign by the front entrance that said "Introducing the new Glowlight Plus" or something like that. They didn't have it set up with the other display devices yet. But when I asked, they had one I could see at the cashier desk. It was nice to be able to handle it without being tethered to a security cable. The two employees who helped me out were very enthusiastic mentioning that how they had a demonstration of it on Friday. (Nice change from when I asked about the Glowlight 3 during its first week and the reaction was "We have a new Nook?") Mine was the first one they sold. One of them also said they had heard a rumor that B&N was about to start an audiobook subscription service and that was the reason for the bluetooth and headphone jack.

Very pleased so far. Feels wonderful to hold. Screen is crisp. Happy with the page turn buttons. Just got some books sideloaded. Off to read...

ETA: $179.99 with member discount

Last edited by lkmiller; 05-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #84
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

I went and checked one out. Very impressive screen. Sharp and dark fonts. Looked good with the light turned completely off. (No dead pixels on the demo unit.) Nice feel, I liked the page turn buttons. Checked out the light, it has automatic or manual settings for night light. Feel, screen and buttons all very good. But I think it has inherited the slow interface from its little brother. I'm hoping it hasn't inherited the other issues from the 3, but it looks like they're treating both as the same unit in support, so I'm not that hopeful on that count. Still, I liked it and I spend most of my time reading, not jumping around in the interface. There may be one of these in my (or my father's) future. The screen is impressive. I'm guessing, since all the other specs are close to the 3, that this one has an IR touch screen as well. (One odd thing, the hand-out sheet they had on these doesn't mention anything at all about Bluetooth.) But I've never seen such a low-key introduction of a brand-new product. What's the deal with that?

Last edited by rcentros; 05-27-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:02 PM   #85
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
it's almost like someone wants B&N to fail

EDIT: Someone in charge of b&n I mean
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:32 PM   #86
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post

I picked up on your meaning without the edit. It IS a very weird product roll-out.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:45 PM   #87
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
I got my old Simple Touch out today and charged it up just to see if it still worked. I had forgotten how comfortable it is to hold. Much better than my new Paperwhite. I really miss the page turn buttons I lost when my Voyage died. The only problem I had with the ST is the memory got full and I couldn’t remove anything except by archiving. That is a very tedious process on the ST. I really hope this new Nook has good specs. Can’t wait to go check it out.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:59 AM   #88
orl2222
orl2222 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I bought one, but for 199.00. I also was told that B&N was trying to develop a audible app as well. Right now the Bluetooth and headphone jack can be used for B&N podcasts(reads for authors for their new book, not like a regular podcast app). I do like the screen better than my paperwhite, brighter as I have OMPD, Ocular muscular dystrophy, which I had eye lid surgery for, as well as cataracts. The higher resolution and brighter screen are a welcome change. I was able to load epub books directly into the Nook folder, no problem. I don't see any voice over, but in a way I'm glad. Alexa just doesn't sound to good as a reader. I prefer using my ipad with Siri voice over. I'm glad this Nook has the buttons, like the old ones used to. I didn't buy a cover yet, the store only had 5 available, nothing in sold black.
orl2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 AM   #89
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhill View Post
I've got one as well, not getting recognized by Calibre 3.42. For now I've just sideloaded files and stopped the Nook from auto-syncing.
Run the "Debug device detection" in the Miscellaneous page of the preferences and post the result in the calibre forum. That way it can be added to the next release.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #90
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post

I'm starting to agree with you!

And I just checked this morning AND STILL NOTHING on their website. I wouldn't even know this exists if it weren't for the Mobileread people. Are BN trying to see how it sells before ramping up production or something? I am just completely kerflummoxed at how this is being (not) handled.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote