Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Paperwhite 4 news

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...rtlight-system

I'm curious to see what Amazon's take on ComfortLight is going to be. My guess is the new Paperwhite will also be waterproof and have a flush screen.

Good call by Amazon to offer a 32 GB version. That should alleviate the issue of no SD card storage.

I've resisted buying a Kindle for ages as I own all epubs but if they hit a home run with the Paperwhite 4, I'll be forced to take a long hard look at the Kindle.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I probably won't buy a V4 until my V2 bites the dust. All that stuff sounds, 'nice' (though I've never had problems with the color of the light!), but another 6 inch screen means that as I age I'll be looking at 3 or 4 letters per screen! It will be exhausting from the page turns alone to get through an easy read like "War and Peace", or the mythical last volume of GOT.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I wish the source were something other than GoodEreader. They have a habit of leaping to conclusions and reporting speculation as fact.

Quote:
I'm curious to see what Amazon's take on ComfortLight is going to be. My guess is the new Paperwhite will also be waterproof and have a flush screen.

Good call by Amazon to offer a 32 GB version. That should alleviate the issue of no SD card storage.

I've resisted buying a Kindle for ages as I own all epubs but if they hit a home run with the Paperwhite 4, I'll be forced to take a long hard look at the Kindle.
Like you, a Paperwhite with a high resolution screen, color changing light, waterproofing, flush screen and 32GB of storage would likely prompt me to try a Kindle (depending on what Kobo's Clara winds up being). But do remember, this is all based on an unsubstantiated blog post.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
No source is cited in Goodereader's report. Just guesses that have a good likelihood of being true. Of course Amazon is coming out with a Paperwhite 4! Of course they've probably observed pressure to incorporate a popular feature that other readers have.

Personally, I don't want the gimmicky comfortlight nonsense. Just tune the color correctly and I'm good. No need to fiddle to fix a overly blue or orange light.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Personally, I don't want the gimmicky comfortlight nonsense. Just tune the color correctly and I'm good. No need to fiddle to fix a overly blue or orange light.
I thought the same thing until I got an ereader with color changing light (not sure why folks refer to it as comfortlight. Comfortlight is what Kobo uses for all its lighted readers since the first Glo). When my better half and I read in a completely darkened room just before bed, the whitish screen on my Aura appears blazing compared to the amber/orange glow of the Glowlight 3.

I don't know if there's any 'there' there as far as the white/blue light keeping people awake. but I can tell you that the amber light is a lot more pleasant to be around if you at trying to go to sleep while your partner is reading.
Advert
Old 04-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I thought the same thing until I got an ereader with color changing light (not sure why folks refer to it as comfortlight. Comfortlight is what Kobo uses for all its lighted readers since the first Glo).
Comfortlight is one of the items I wondered about in that article. As near as I can tell, Kobo were the original users of ComfortLight and ComfortLight Pro (the colour changing version) for frontlit eInk screens and I really can't see Amazon using the same name.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #7
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
No source is cited in Goodereader's report. Just guesses that have a good likelihood of being true. Of course Amazon is coming out with a Paperwhite 4! Of course they've probably observed pressure to incorporate a popular feature that other readers have.

As the owner of a Kobo Aura ONE with comfort light, there's nothing at all finicky about it. Mine is set on auto and I've never adjusted the color manually at all, it's a pleasing mellow tone that goes a bit yellow orange late night, but nothing harsh looking. Just right.

I thought it wasn't a feature I'd care about, but I ended up loving it. Much harder now to read at night on a reader that doesn't have the feature....

However, I'd be quite surprised if they introduced the feature on the Paperwhite having left it off their premium Oasis 7" reader...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:56 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Sounds like this blog post from last june: https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...-out-this-fall

Sure, eventually Michael Kozlowski will be right about a new Paperwhite coming out. Add some extra specs this time and Amazon will include some of it by pure accident.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
As the owner of a Kobo Aura ONE with comfort light, there's nothing at all finicky about it. Mine is set on auto and I've never adjusted the color manually at all, it's a pleasing mellow tone that goes a bit yellow orange late night, but nothing harsh looking. Just right.
My only experience with color changing frontlight is my Glowlight 3 which has a very pleasing amber/orange color. I don't know if I just got lucky. I'd read that Aura Ones have issues with green blobs on the screen or the screen being red. But I haven't heard the same issues with the H2O2 or Glowlight 3.

Do color-changing frontlights have known issues (aside from the Aura One)?
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 PM   #10
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
The only issue I know of is in the concept itself. Amber/orange color? Meh. Colors reduce contrast. Give me a device that has the warm white color of a trade paperback. At night, I can dial down the brightness and it's plenty comfortable.

You certainly won't see Amazon marketing an all new PaperWHITE with pictures showing off an orange-colored display. They've built an entire brand around the "like paper" look of the display, even if they've not nailed it perfectly every time.

I do recognize I'm in the minority here, but I'm an old-school fan of the original concept of e-readers: They are like books and primarily use ambient light. The frontlight system helps brighten it a bit, since the tech isn't perfect. But no thanks to the orange!
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Good-E-Reader? I thought this was news.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:55 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I probably won't buy a V4 until my V2 bites the dust. All that stuff sounds, 'nice' (though I've never had problems with the color of the light!), but another 6 inch screen means that as I age I'll be looking at 3 or 4 letters per screen! It will be exhausting from the page turns alone to get through an easy read like "War and Peace", or the mythical last volume of GOT.
I still have the Paperwhite that I won in the winter contest a few yrs back. I've had no problems with it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I wouldn't be surprised if a Paperwhite 4 appeared, with some of the predicted features, but not all.

But he's also predicting the end of the Voyage, with no replacement. That seems less likely.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:37 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
azayn, don't believe BadEReader until there is reputable proof of what they are reporting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have to agree that the source of this makes it dubious. Still it is fun to speculate. And who knows, maybe Goodereader actually got it right for once.

I googled for a Paperwhite 4 but that's the only current web page that mentions it. Some older pages ask if there'll be a Paperwhite 4.

As for the light, I don't miss the color change on my Kindles. On my Nook Glowlight 3 I did play with it and I found adding just a little warmth to the light was kind of nice. Nothing automatic. I just warmed up the white light and left it there and I like it. But I read more on my Kindles which don't have that and I don't miss it.

I just got a new Paperwhite in their last sale. I have a couple of old ones as well as a Voyage. I start getting nervous when my ereaders get older because if I end up in a nursing home I want it to be fresh and last a long time. I'm in a retirement home now living on social security which I manage myself. In the assisted living and nursing homes they get your social security and give a small allowance which isn't enough for an ereader. I'm pretty healthy at the moment but at 77 that has to be part of my planning.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote