Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 08-13-2017, 02:22 AM   #1
El Duderino
#hilakleiner
El Duderino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura (2013)
Is there an idiots guide to updating Nickel with KSM8?

Greetings!

Having successfully installed KSM8 & KOReader, I'm confused as to proper protocol for updating Nickel. I'm on 4.5x now and like to be on the bleeding edge, bugs and all.

I use Pocket frequently, so need the internet, but want to make sure a pesky auto update doesn't wipe KSM or KOReader.

What I've seen regarding updating Nickel with KSM is too difficult for me to comprehend. I've tried to connect to wifi with KSM and it spat an error code at me...I think? All I know is I'm supposed to click "Partial Update" in a menu I've never been able to find.

Hopefully someone will tell me OTA updates in Nickel are fine and won't wipe anything or brick the device. Please?
El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
I use Pocket frequently, so need the internet, but want to make sure a pesky auto update doesn't wipe KSM or KOReader.
Unless things have changed lately, your device should not download a FW update package as long as you do not sync with the kobo server. Synchronizing with Pocket, does not cause the device to download a FW update file.
Even when a FW update package is downloaded, it is not supposed to be installed by nickel. The next time you go to the KSM main menu, you should see an entry "handle update files" (or something to that effect). Then you can (1) "install update" (this will install the full update and thereby disable KSM), or (2) "install partial update" (this will install the update and preserve those files that are needed by KSM), or (3) "delete update files."
I remember two people reporting that a spontaneous FW update happened and disabled KSM. If memory serves correctly, in both cases the update happened over night with nickel sleeping. The reports were not so detailed that I was able to figure out what happened.

Quote:
What I've seen regarding updating Nickel with KSM is too difficult for me to comprehend. I've tried to connect to wifi with KSM and it spat an error code at me...I think?
How exactly did you try to connect? Since you are using Pocket, I guess the network you want to use is already known to the device. Try therefore "wifi" > "wifi aneble dhcp.sh." You should then see a message to the effect that libraries have been loaded, or when it did not work, that they have not been loaded.
Updating the FW in KSM consist of several steps (this is because I like to have control of each step). I have to look whether, I in the KSM thread there is a description of how to do it and the different options.

I would rather recommend that you let nickle download the update package, or you side load it.

Quote:
All I know is I'm supposed to click "Partial Update" in a menu I've never been able to find.
The menu entry "handle update" appears only when there is an update package already copied/downloaded to the device.

A better place for this question would have been the KSM 08 thread. In the first post of this thread, you will also find some information that might be useful.

As to KOReader, it is not wiped by a FW update (KSM is also not wiped). But with KSM being disabled you cannot start KOReader (at least not with KSM).

Last edited by tshering; 08-13-2017 at 07:52 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #3
El Duderino
#hilakleiner

Thanks for the wonderfully detailed reply, and apologies for not posting in the KSM thread.

Just to confirm I've got this correctly:

1. Sync as per usual in Nickel (Kobo Software)
2. When the pop-up dialogue asks to install downloaded updates, choose no.
3. Reboot the device
4. In KSM, enable wifi by simply choosing "wifi" > "wifi aneble dhcp.sh"
5. Libraries will say they've been loaded
6. Back on the main menu, choose "handle update files" > "install partial update"
7. Follow whatever prompts appear in KSM

Is that about right? If so, sounds like an easy, hassle-free experience.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:46 AM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
1. Sync as per usual in Nickel (Kobo Software)
2. When the pop-up dialogue asks to install downloaded updates, choose no.
3. Exit to nickel or reboot the device
4. Back on the main menu, choose "handle update files" > "install partial update"
5. KSM will install the update and reboot the device. The update may take some time (feels like you are waiting an eternity when you stare at the screen), do not panic, do not try to interfere in any way.

Last edited by tshering; 08-15-2017 at 07:31 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
El Duderino
#hilakleiner

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.