Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
How many pages does your PP really last?

Hi, I just wanna get an idea of what is normal with regards to the battery life...

So a few days ago, I posted in one of the threads that with just 1000 pages (at most) turned, my PP got down one bar. When I'm not reading it, I put it on key lock. This means that it wouldn't last the 8000 pages as claimed. As many reflected, the 8000 pages is the amount the battery last when the pages are turned as fast as they can, which in actual fact is not how it works. So reaching 8000 is impossible.

Anyway, I haven't used my PP for any more reading since that post few days ago, and it has been put on key lock since. So today, I went to unlock it, and there were 2 bars left. And then suddenly, the 2 bars disappeared and the battery went empty. I'm pretty shock because I thought that key lock / leaving the PP on a particular page, doesn't eat up any battery. But the battery just suddenly consumed itself. So now I'm currently charging it.

I wonder if that's normal.. And.. what's the normal number of page turns for you guys?
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I have made it a practice to turn it all the way off when I am not reading. The one night I left it on, not keyboard locked, but just on, the next morning the battery was dead. However, I am still in my cycling proceedures. That was my first total drain. After a few weeks or months, and several recharges the determination of battery life would probably be more accurate.

AJ

Last edited by AJ Starr; 09-27-2009 at 12:06 PM.
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
This is a common misconception -- Keyboard Lock does not mean that the device is using no power. All you're doing is locking the keyboard!

Now, either at the same time or as a separate function (eg based on time), any given reader may enter some sort of sleep mode in which it uses only a trickle of power to reduce startup time when next called upon. Similar idea as any standby mode in your computer, tv, etc. Power consumption in standby mode varies, but it's non-zero.

Where the e-ink-based reader does not need to use power is in maintaining the image of what's on the screen already. Since that's hugely different from the displays we are used to, and since displays tend to be big power-consumers, that's the feature that sticks in our minds.

All that said, I'm still not sure how good or bad the Pocket Pro's power consumption in standby mode really is, even compared to the EZ Reader 6". I believe some folks who had both were saying it felt like the PP was draining faster?
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I never turn mine off I lock the keybrd when I am not reading. I have the Ezreader basic and I read a lot I do not know how many pages I really do not keep up with it any more. I mostly read tech docs that are pdfs. I charge my ezreader every 2 weeks or so.

chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #5
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I have made it a practice to turn it all the way off when I am not reading. The one night I left it on, not keyboard locked, but just on, the next morning the battery was dead. However, I am still in my cycling proceedures. That was my first total drain. After a few weeks or months, and several recharges the determination of battery life would probably be more accurate.

AJ
It's very possivble that when your screen went blank, your battery wasn't truly dead. Only your PEZ thought there was no charge and shut off.
Could it be that your battery still had 3/4 charge?

It's my understanding that cycling the battery isn't meant to maximize or fill the battery with charge, but to sync the battery charge with the sensor.

If the sensor is off, and thinks that the charge has depleted, will it shut off the device, even with a full battery?
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Li-ion batteries have a fairly high self discharge rate (compared to common Alkaline cells). A fully charged battery sitting disconnected will lose 15% or more just sitting there, per week.
I learned the hard way to charge the Li-ion batteries (and spares) for my Digital Camera the night before use.

So, while the battery might be actually good for 8000 page flips, normal speed reading probably will not see any where near that number due to self discharge and other use factors.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
It's very possivble that when your screen went blank, your battery wasn't truly dead. Only your PEZ thought there was no charge and shut off.
Could it be that your battery still had 3/4 charge?

It's my understanding that cycling the battery isn't meant to maximize or fill the battery with charge, but to sync the battery charge with the sensor.

If the sensor is off, and thinks that the charge has depleted, will it shut off the device, even with a full battery?

Anything is possible. When I've been turning it off, no problem, when I left it on (with the cover on top) it had a blank screen the next day. When I tried to revive it, I got the 4 beeps, so I plugged it in. In about 10 minutes, the charging ICON appeared and it showed fully charged (or sync'd or whatever it ends up being) in about 6 - 8 hours. No problems since. Like I said, that was my first full discharge, I had only recharged a few times with the battery indicator still showing the 4 bars.

Personal for Griff,
I love my PEZ, and I'm going to do what you suggested and provide my own custom cover. I've been removing my wrinkles and I'll replace it with something when I'm done. Sorry you decided to send your's back.
My thoughts are it is the leather cover causing the reaction to the paint, and until they reformulate the blue, it might happen to all. In My Personal Opinion only.

AJ
Old 09-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Personal for Griff,
I love my PEZ, and I'm going to do what you suggested and provide my own custom cover. I've been removing my wrinkles and I'll replace it with something when I'm done. Sorry you decided to send your's back.
My thoughts are it is the leather cover causing the reaction to the paint, and until they reformulate the blue, it might happen to all. In My Personal Opinion only.

AJ
I still plan on creating a custom cover for mine. However, I want to make sure that the case can be opened, and that all of the pieces can be removed without damaging the eInk screen before I begin. Once I can determine that, then I will take it apart and scrape/paint/etc a new custom design.

But in the event that the screen is affixed to the top, and peeling it away would cause any damage or cracking of the screen, I would much rather benefit from the free shipping and a wrinkle-free device now. Otherwise, If I wait a couple more months, I would most likely lose out.

Also, this will give me a few months to decide what kind of look that I want for my PEZ.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #9
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Quote:

AJ
I am 99% sure this is not the case based on my own experience.

I took my blue PPro out of the leather case within the first day of owning it. At that point, there were a few dark splotches on the back but nothing I could describe as wrinkles.

For the next several days I had the PPro in a whole separate room from the case, either in my hand during use or sitting safely atop a stack of papers when not in use. I was slightly worried about the interaction possibilities with the cover and also just wanted to get as much air flow as possible around it in case the coating did need more drying/curing time.

Nevertheless, by day 3 the coating along the front (not the back) was starting to visibly crack. Each day subsequent, that cracking turned into more and more wrinkling. Finally, after almost a week, I just ended up putting it back in the case to take it with me when I went places. That doesn't seem to have affected the slow decline of the coating one way or the other. I'll be sending it back for exchange shortly.

So unless it's an issue of "the leather cover starts an irreversible slow decay after even a brief initial exposure" I feel pretty comfortable saying that it's not the cover!
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I have read around 600-700 pages, and it went from 4 to 3 bars
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlac View Post
I am 99% sure this is not the case based on my own experience.

I took my blue PPro out of the leather case within the first day of owning it. At that point, there were a few dark splotches on the back but nothing I could describe as wrinkles.

For the next several days I had the PPro in a whole separate room from the case, either in my hand during use or sitting safely atop a stack of papers when not in use. I was slightly worried about the interaction possibilities with the cover and also just wanted to get as much air flow as possible around it in case the coating did need more drying/curing time.

Nevertheless, by day 3 the coating along the front (not the back) was starting to visibly crack. Each day subsequent, that cracking turned into more and more wrinkling. Finally, after almost a week, I just ended up putting it back in the case to take it with me when I went places. That doesn't seem to have affected the slow decline of the coating one way or the other. I'll be sending it back for exchange shortly.

So unless it's an issue of "the leather cover starts an irreversible slow decay after even a brief initial exposure" I feel pretty comfortable saying that it's not the cover!

Well, that eliminated one possible cause. thanks.

AJ
Old 09-28-2009, 07:03 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I can't see how long it will last at this point... I've had it for a week now and I've lost one bar (of the four). But I've connected it to my pc several times, and am switching books constantly (trying to find a "perfect" epub layout).

I haven't turned it off since I found out I could just lock the keyboard...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I can't see how long it will last at this point... I've had it for a week now and I've lost one bar (of the four). But I've connected it to my pc several times, and am switching books constantly (trying to find a "perfect" epub layout).

I haven't turned it off since I found out I could just lock the keyboard...
Ditto, now im around 950-1000 pages, i have turned it ON and OFF around 4 times, (one to upgrade the FW) and still showing 3/4 bars.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote