Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #61
808Tom
808Tom
808Tom began at the beginning.

Device: Astak
Astak "hairline cracks" & Charger light ....

1. I received my new Blue Astak eReader and there are "hairline" cracks emanating from the light signifying status of charging ... and the light for charging does not actually indicate what the status of charging or non charging is ....
2. Since I'm in the first 15 days of having the unit ...
a. Does reality others have experienced ... suggest returning the unit and hoping Astak will send a new unit rather than refurbishing the unit I send them or
b. Ask for a refund and wait for another type of eReader to become available in the next few months?

Suggestions & observations will be welcome.

808Tom
808Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #62
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If someone takes some photos of the battery, maybe someone else can figure out what battery it is.
Edit: There is an excellent PEZ battery photo in thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=56841&page=6

I took a look, and then went to Fry's.
It is not a common arrangement. It appears to be a cross of a "Cordless phone", (3-wire) connection style with a modern Li-ion cell battery that has contact points (My LG phone has a battery with the same ELECTRICAL specs: 3.7 V, 1000mAh).

Also, there is a part number that starts with "V5"
custom ? I guess they did not have the board space for the complete battery tray used in cell phones.

Last edited by theducks; 09-19-2009 at 10:58 AM.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #63
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
We have plenty of perfect Slate Blue ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808Tom View Post
1. I received my new Blue Astak eReader and there are "hairline" cracks emanating from the light signifying status of charging ... and the light for charging does not actually indicate what the status of charging or non charging is ....
2. Since I'm in the first 15 days of having the unit ...
a. Does reality others have experienced ... suggest returning the unit and hoping Astak will send a new unit rather than refurbishing the unit I send them or
b. Ask for a refund and wait for another type of eReader to become available in the next few months?

Suggestions & observations will be welcome.

808Tom
Dear Tom:

We know now that the final coating was not set when they rushed to ship.

We have about forty slate blue being monitored daily here at the company.

I read all the posts and I take all of this to heart. I am anything but unfeeling.

I cannot tell you whether to go for the refund or not. I can tell you that you can look long and hard and not find a better device. I strongly suggest a simple email to Ruby: support@astak.com.

I can tell you I have monitored the ones we have here and the finish is now set and they are gorgeous. We are paying the freight so why not make an exchange and get it right and be pleased with your purchase?

And, yes, normally the problem shows up around the status light!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #64
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Tom:

We know now that the final coating was not set when they rushed to ship.

We have about forty slate blue being monitored daily here at the company.

I read all the posts and I take all of this to heart. I am anything but unfeeling.

I cannot tell you whether to go for the refund or not. I can tell you that you can look long and hard and not find a better device. I strongly suggest a simple email to Ruby: support@astak.com.

I can tell you I have monitored the ones we have here and the finish is now set and they are gorgeous. We are paying the freight so why not make an exchange and get it right and be pleased with your purchase?

And, yes, normally the problem shows up around the status light!
Robert,
Are you paying freight both ways? Is that the same for other issues?
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #65
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
My slate blue has what looks like a crack from the corner to the light but IMHO it is only a slight flaw that is cosmetic. I'm keeping mine. In a year it will undoubtedly have some other cosmetic scratches on it that my handling of it put there.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #66
rling
Connoisseur
rling began at the beginning.

Device: Mentor Lite, Nook Color, Pocket Pro
Quote:
We are ordering numerous additional batteries and we can make any exchanges needed quickly.
Any chance of adding the batteries as accessories for sale on the website? This would save me a lot of hunting around for spare batteries.Thanks.
rling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #67
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Precisely the idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rling View Post
Any chance of adding the batteries as accessories for sale on the website? This would save me a lot of hunting around for spare batteries.Thanks.
Dear rling:

That is my post of the day:

We have 30 spare batteries that arrived in our warehouse from the factory. There wasn't an invoice so we are trying to find out what the charge is.

Once we can figure out our own cost we will sell the spare batteries (saving a few if replacement under warranty is needed) on our website. Look for it to be up very soon now. Our aim is to sell them near our true and fully-burdened cost.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #68
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Dear rling:

That is my post of the day:

We have 30 spare batteries that arrived in our warehouse from the factory. There wasn't an invoice so we are trying to find out what the charge is.

Once we can figure out our own cost we will sell the spare batteries (saving a few if replacement under warranty is needed) on our website. Look for it to be up very soon now. Our aim is to sell them near our true and fully-burdened cost.
any chance you can post the model number for the battery?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #69
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Seems they got those batteries from the factory and that means is the same as your PP have, still i would like to buy one from a "more serious" brand.
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #70
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiron View Post
Seems they got those batteries from the factory and that means is the same as your PP have, still i would like to buy one from a "more serious" brand.
the problem is really finding a compatible battery first. I remember when Robert said it could be found easily online for less than 10 bucks...
Old 09-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #71
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
This thread here has me scared to take the plunge. O_o
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #72
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Well, then ask How many have Pocket Pros that are working as expected?

I know mine did.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #73
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
I'm one of the people who reported a problem nearly a week ago on the first page of this thread. My Pro's battery had gone dead twice since I'd received it. Thought I'd give an update in case I'd contributed to scaring anybody considering a purchase.

Since my post, my Pocket Pro has been behaving very well. It's still running on the same charge I gave it on September 17th, when I made the aformentioned post. The only thing I'm doing differently since then is that I've stopped leaving the Pocket Pro turned on all the time. This was (and still is) my standard operating procedure when using my 6" EZReader, but with the Pocket Pro it resulted in a drained battery for some reason.

Perhaps now that my Pro's battery has cycled a couple of times its controller is handling the charge better. I don't know. I'm afraid to experiment by letting it drain down all the way again due to the difficulty I had in recovering functionality the last time this happened. if anybody leaves their Pro on all the time, I'm curious as to how that's working out for you.

Anyway, I'm happy with it now. As far as I'm concerned everything's OK and I have no plans to send it back. I do not regret my purchase, and would do it again. The problems I had can probably be attributed to my own asshattery.

I got the black case, and it's flawless, eighteen days after receipt, so no problems there. It's actually more of a matte dark charcoal. Very attractive shade, I think.
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #74
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Thanks. I needed a reason to spend $200. :/

lol - after all my research this just seems like the one. We'll the Sony Daily Reader would be most awesome a inch smaller, and $100 cheaper.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #75
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsquash View Post
I'm one of the people who reported a problem nearly a week ago on the first page of this thread. My Pro's battery had gone dead twice since I'd received it. Thought I'd give an update in case I'd contributed to scaring anybody considering a purchase.

Since my post, my Pocket Pro has been behaving very well. It's still running on the same charge I gave it on September 17th, when I made the aformentioned post. The only thing I'm doing differently since then is that I've stopped leaving the Pocket Pro turned on all the time. This was (and still is) my standard operating procedure when using my 6" EZReader, but with the Pocket Pro it resulted in a drained battery for some reason.

Perhaps now that my Pro's battery has cycled a couple of times its controller is handling the charge better. I don't know. I'm afraid to experiment by letting it drain down all the way again due to the difficulty I had in recovering functionality the last time this happened. if anybody leaves their Pro on all the time, I'm curious as to how that's working out for you.

Anyway, I'm happy with it now. As far as I'm concerned everything's OK and I have no plans to send it back. I do not regret my purchase, and would do it again. The problems I had can probably be attributed to my own asshattery.

I got the black case, and it's flawless, eighteen days after receipt, so no problems there. It's actually more of a matte dark charcoal. Very attractive shade, I think.
I've yet to get mine, but after reading the documentation etc could the mp3 player be running in the background?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote