Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #16
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Yes. Their theezreader.com also shows it at $199. Do you suppose that will be reflected on our "already made at $229" pre-orders?
Yes. I just got an email promising a rebate when the Pocket Pro ships.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #17
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The thing about linux, is that it is highly modular. It doesn't have to be all open source. It only needs to be, if it uses or compiles against GPL'ed code.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
The thing about linux, is that it is highly modular. It doesn't have to be all open source. It only needs to be, if it uses or compiles against GPL'ed code.
The core of Linux itself is written and distributed under GPL. If it uses Linux, there MUST be some kind of sources distributed somewhere to comply with GPL.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Epson Controller and 400 MHz processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
This looks like a slick rig, it has many of the advantages of my jetBook, and few of the disadvantages.

One of the things I like about the jetBook is the hierarchical file folder structure and appearing as a removable drive to my PC making it possible to maintain folders ad directories without resorting to dedicated library software. Does the Astak have these capabilities? How about the eInk slow/flash page turning? Has that been adequately addressed?

Hmmmm, the Astak is Linux, I wonder if the Astak firmware … Naw, prolly not, the device drivers for the screen and buttons is probably all different. But then again if the source is …
Dear wodin:

The Pocket PRO has the Epson Controller and 400 MHz processor for bringing up a book and doing page turns far faster. The problem in the past was not that of E-Ink. It was in having to use a 5 year old controller design developed NOT by a controller company but by a panel manufacturer (nothing else was available way back then). People mistakenly blame E-Ink and it is not their fault. I think you will love the new Epson controller!

I'll ask about the heirarchical file folder structure! That is beyond me.

Great questions and thank you!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #20
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
We (the moderators) have closed the other thread because of this double posting. Please go on discussing here.

Adobe ePub DRM is, of course, supported by those devices, same as on nearly all the readers coming out with the ADEPT engine and on the market right now.
Actually, Robertb has asserted on the other thread that the ADE on the PocketPro does *not* support DRM-ePub.

Which is not disclosed anywhere on the website, and it seems he only let it drop here by accident.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #21
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ALL who pre-ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Yes. I just got an email promising a rebate when the Pocket Pro ships.
Dear ALL:

Yes, we are sending out refund notifications today to ALL who pre-ordered.

Astak is very honest, we believe in good customer relations, and we THANK those who jumped to order!!

Besides, IF it did not happen I would be hanged in effigy on MobileRead Forum!
Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #22
Robertb

Let us get this strasight, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Actually, Robertb has asserted on the other thread that the ADE on the PocketPro does *not* support DRM-ePub.

Which is not disclosed anywhere on the website, and it seems he only let it drop here by accident.

The Adobe Digital Editions that Astak has is the same Adobe Digital Editions that Sony has. There are not different versions of it. I am not an ADE expert but Adobe IS. Please call Adobe, Kate, and ask them. We do not sell ADE... we only license it.

Once and for all... it is identical to all other Adobe Digital Editions and does the same thing as Sony's ADE does!!

I sense a little frustration here, Kate. Don't you like a great device that is full featured selling at a low price? I would think you would be signing up to buy.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #23
jankovicgood
Connoisseur
jankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enoughjankovicgood will become famous soon enough

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear wodin:

The Pocket PRO has the Epson Controller and 400 MHz processor for bringing up a book and doing page turns far faster. The problem in the past was not that of E-Ink. It was in having to use a 5 year old controller design developed NOT by a controller company but by a panel manufacturer (nothing else was available way back then). People mistakenly blame E-Ink and it is not their fault. I think you will love the new Epson controller!

I'll ask about the heirarchical file folder structure! That is beyond me.

Great questions and thank you!!
Hi, I was looking for a youtube video about the Pocket PRO showing the page turn mode but couldn't find it.
jankovicgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #24
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
The core of Linux itself is written and distributed under GPL. If it uses Linux, there MUST be some kind of sources distributed somewhere to comply with GPL.
Incorrect. If you link against GPL'ed code, your code must also be GPL, and thus source made available. If you directly use GPL code (meaning, you actually use the code, and not just link against it at compile time), then it must remain GPL and source has to be furnished. However, simply using GPL'ed code does not mean that all source is furnished, just the afflicted portions. For most embedded devices, which includes all ebook readers, generally only the linux kernel is used, and thus the only portion released. The actual software from the readers, such as the ADEPT framework in this instance, is usually made in a manner that does not link against the GPLed code. The end result is that it is linux software, that requires linux, but is not open source. This is nothing new for the linux community. Many hardware drivers are this way, especially when it comes to wireless and graphics. Really upsets a lot of linux users, because really it goes against the spirit of what most of us try to do, especially the stuff like the drivers, that basically become part of the system. But really what can we do about it? If everyone was forced to GPL everything that runs on the linux kernel, so many people would not use it, because it would take away so much of the freedom that we have.

Long story short, likely the only source you'll find is the kernel, which is nigh on useless for doing what they wanted, since that'll have none of the interesting bits.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
The Adobe Digital Editions that Astak has is the same Adobe Digital Editions that Sony has. There are not different versions of it. I am not an ADE expert but Adobe IS. Please call Adobe, Kate, and ask them. We do not sell ADE... we only license it.
Robert can you verify that the EZ Reader Pocket Pro's (OEM of the same unit the BeBook Mini will be) ADE firmware will infact support Adobe ADEPT DRM for both PDF and EPUB files as it does on the Sony, which as you say has the exact same software on it?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
However, simply using GPL'ed code does not mean that all source is furnished, just the afflicted portions.
Where did I say that "all source" needs to be released? All I said is that if this device is Linux-powered, then *some kind of sources* needs to be released.

Quote:
Long story short, likely the only source you'll find is the kernel,...
I visited Astak's website, and I did not find the source.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #27
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
I just took at look at the main page - THREE stories on the Sony's New 5", which is virtually the same story three times.

Nothing yet on the Pocket Pro.....
Since the moderators seem to only "close" Pocket Pro threads and refuse to give it front page notice, maybe we all should start new Pocket Pro threads as a protest to unfair and biased treatment.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #28
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

Once and for all... it is identical to all other Adobe Digital Editions and does the same thing as Sony's ADE does!!

I sense a little frustration here, Kate. Don't you like a great device that is full featured selling at a low price? I would think you would be signing up to buy.
Robertb, *you're* the one who said it didn't, not me. I asked for clarification. If it does support Adobe DRM-ePub, then great! That's awesome! But YOU are the one who said we'd have to wait for a firmware update to get DRM-ePub.

Why should I call Adobe and ask them what formats your device supports? How would they know if you don't?

ePUb is becoming the ebook standard, and Adobe's DRM seems to be becoming the secure standard for ePub. If you don't support it when the expectations are that you will, then your customers will be unhappy, I'm just saying.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #29
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
FYI, I just got an email that my paypal account will be refunded for the difference of the new promotional price $199 price and original $229 price.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Still no word on Adobe Epub support? Makes a difference to a lot of people.
I tried a PDF and an ePub both with Adobe DRM on my EZ Reader. Registering the EZ Reader via Windows Adobe Digital Editions was simple, and both the PDF and ePub work on my EZ Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote