Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-13-2020, 01:44 PM   #1
Cecell
Cecell began at the beginning.

Device: MS Surface (PC)
Feature Request/Modification

I had posted this in Patreon but I noticed that that isn't where this type of request should be posted. Here's the message again.

Oftentimes I have a PDF open to get info from it to enter into Calibre.
Sometimes when I enter the info it won't let me proceed because the PDF is open in my preferred PDF viewer (SumatraPDF). It shows the error/warning dialogue "Could not change the on disk location of this book. Is it open in another program?" When I acknowledge that dialogue it reverts the stored value to the original. Would you please add a button to this dialogue with the caption "Try Again". Then the user could alt + tab to the viewer, close the document, come back to Calibre and click Try Again. Sometimes I've entered 5 authors or a long Title and then when I make this mistake I have to enter it all again and this makes me very sad lol. I would really really appreciate it.

Again, you're awesome and thank you for all your hard work!
Cecell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do it via the edit metadata dialog instead of the book list, and you wont have that issue, I believe it lets you try again, though I could be misremembering.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
Cecell
Cecell began at the beginning.

Device: MS Surface (PC)
I see. That way is much much slower when making one edit each on multiple items. Editing this way when making a large number of edits since I can just press F2 to edit then move around for each edit quickly with the arrow keys. Especially when working with a multi-volume set like an encyclopedia. There was one where all data was the same except that the editors were different for each volume...first one I've seen like that but the differences vary of course from various publications to others. Anyway, it would be nice but no worries. It may sound as though I'm complaining and if so please allow me to apologize. This program is awesome for real.
Cecell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Related to this, could it be possible to add a "try again" when attempting to apply from the metadata review window? I forgot to close the PDF file a few times and lost the changes.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecell View Post
I see. That way is much much slower when making one edit each on multiple items. Editing this way when making a large number of edits since I can just press F2 to edit then move around for each edit quickly with the arrow keys. Especially when working with a multi-volume set like an encyclopedia. There was one where all data was the same except that the editors were different for each volume...first one I've seen like that but the differences vary of course from various publications to others. Anyway, it would be nice but no worries. It may sound as though I'm complaining and if so please allow me to apologize. This program is awesome for real.
No worries. This whole issue with PDF files getting locked is windows and pdf reader secific, as such am not highly motivated to implement retries for it, especially for editing a single cell which is typicaly a short and simple operation.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
data entry, entry, feature request, suggestion, suggestions