Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
"Back to Library" autoselected...

Sometimes when I press "enter" followed by "up" when reading a book the "Back to Library" is autoselected (I wanted to change the font size). It was hard to detect this since I thought that I pressed "enter" by mistake. But it does not happen always. I use firmware 802.

I have just reported it to Bookeen but I am curious if anybody else have the same problem and have some more information about when it happens and how to work around it?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
Never had this problem with 796 or previous versions of the firmware.

Is 802 an official release from Bookeen, does it have any differences from previous versions (besides the new back to library feature), and - where can I get it?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
802 is just an "internal release". No new features from 796.

Tommy, I'm a little confused - if you press "Enter" then "Up" you'd expect "Back to Library" to be selected, since it's the bottom item on the menu. Or do you mean that it's actually activating, as if you'd pressed "Enter" a second time? I've never encountered that myself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:59 AM   #4
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Sometimes when I press "enter" followed by "up" when reading a book the "Back to Library" is autoselected (I wanted to change the font size). It was hard to detect this since I thought that I pressed "enter" by mistake. But it does not happen always. I use firmware 802.

I have just reported it to Bookeen but I am curious if anybody else have the same problem and have some more information about when it happens and how to work around it?
Tommy,

What do you expect to get? For me (latest firmware 7-something) it is standard. When you push enter (you do mean the big middle-button on the front don't you??) you get the eBook-popup and your cursor is situated at Start Reading. When you go up 1 time you end up at the bottom of the popup where Back to Library is (this is of course in the mobi-reader).
When you mean 'that it's actually activating, as if you'd pressed "Enter" a second time?' like Harry suggested, maybe the button is so new it gets kind of stuck and you really get a kind of double-click... Perhaps the button works better after a couple of days...

Harry: two guys one thougt and one person who types a lot fater than the other

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 11-11-2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: beated by Harry in my response
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
802 is just an "internal release". No new features from 796.

Tommy, I'm a little confused - if you press "Enter" then "Up" you'd expect "Back to Library" to be selected, since it's the bottom item on the menu. Or do you mean that it's actually activating, as if you'd pressed "Enter" a second time? I've never encountered that myself.
Yes, I meant that. "activated" was maybe a better word then "selected" in this case...
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the clarification. It's never happened to me; I'm on firmware 796. I wonder if perhaps you might be inadvertently pressing "up" and "enter" together, or something like that?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
When you mean 'that it's actually activating, as if you'd pressed "Enter" a second time?' like Harry suggested, maybe the button is so new it gets kind of stuck and you really get a kind of double-click... Perhaps the button works better after a couple of days...
When it happened last I tested a bit and I do not think it is double-click since it happened every time and I was really careful to press the buttons to avoid double-click.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Firmware 796 here, and that never happened.

What happens is what one expects:
Enter opens the "options" menu;
Up "rolls" the selection in the menu from top first to down last and the option that gets selected is “back to library”.
To actually go back to the library I have to one more enter.

It looks that, strangely, it’s what you are getting automatically.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #9
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
When it happened last I tested a bit and I do not think it is double-click since it happened every time and I was really careful to press the buttons to avoid double-click.
Sounds like a defective button to me.
Hopefully it'll get better after some use.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Sounds like a defective button to me.
Hopefully it'll get better after some use.

No. It's not a defective button. Not unless all four of my most recent Cybooks (the two originally returned and the two newer versions I got back) are suffering from the same damn thing.

I've noticed that this happens to me most often when I've had the Cybook on and active for a while. To "cure" it, I start waiting between presses of the buttons. "Enter", wait until the LED goes out. "Up", wait until the LED goes out. "Up" again... repeat the waiting ad-nauseum until I get to the menu I want. Same thing happens to me if I do an "Enter", "Up", "Enter" combo to get back to the Library. Sure, it goes to the Library - and then *IMMEDIATELY* goes back into the ebook!

This has been happening on the 64MB (build 796) *and* the 512MB (build 802) Cybooks.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
ErwinOtten
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
No. It's not a defective button. Not unless all four of my most recent Cybooks (the two originally returned and the two newer versions I got back) are suffering from the same damn thing.

I've noticed that this happens to me most often when I've had the Cybook on and active for a while. To "cure" it, I start waiting between presses of the buttons. "Enter", wait until the LED goes out. "Up", wait until the LED goes out. "Up" again... repeat the waiting ad-nauseum until I get to the menu I want. Same thing happens to me if I do an "Enter", "Up", "Enter" combo to get back to the Library. Sure, it goes to the Library - and then *IMMEDIATELY* goes back into the ebook!

This has been happening on the 64MB (build 796) *and* the 512MB (build 802) Cybooks.
Hmmm, I really can't reproduce that kind of behavior at the moment, but then again I just turned my CyBook on. I'll look tomorow morning after I've been reading for more than an hour if I can reproduce it, but I doubt it.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:16 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Strange - I've never had this happen!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Strange - I've never had this happen!
Strange... I've had this occur with every single one of my Netronix-based devices that have been upgraded to build 796 or later. (That includes four different Cybooks and one Netronix EB-100.) Of course, in my *typical* reading day, I do about 1,200 page-turns. (Yes, I average an ebook per day.)

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This may sound like a stupid question, but do you think we could be pressing the button in different ways? Could you, perhaps, be accidentally "catching" the centre button as you're pressing the direction buttons? That's honestly the only explanation I can think of which could account for this! I'm not kidding when I say that it's literally never happened to me, and although the time I spend reading isn't at your level, I do spend a couple of hours a day reading, so my Gen3 gets a good "workout".
Old 11-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This may sound like a stupid question, but do you think we could be pressing the button in different ways? Could you, perhaps, be accidentally "catching" the centre button as you're pressing the direction buttons?
I explicitly tested this when it happened for me and that was not the case. That was what I first suspected but experiments disproved that.