Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-27-2018, 12:24 AM   #106
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Hey, look! There they are! And if you look at the graphic, you can plainly see the difference. How many times can I say "Thank you!"
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #107
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThought View Post
How many times can I say "Thank you!"
I'll be perfectly honest: sincere expressions of appreciation never do really get old.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 10:41 AM   #108
wyvern
Small friendly dragon
wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I wondered if anyone else is having the same problem since upgrading to 0.9.10? I have been formatting subsequent versions of a large book without a problem before the upgrade. I split the document into chapter files within Sigil but since the upgrade the program is so slow with blue circle spinning (Windows 10) and 'cleaning' messages that I was having to copy/paste the split code rather than apply it via the menus. I have tried on the latest to split the file around the half way point and then do some more splits and it gradually improves so I can use the menus to put the rest in, but it always coped fine before so I wondered why this was happening?
wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #109
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No idea. What do you mean by "cleaning" messages? From what? The best and fastest way to split a single large file into separate pieces is to use regular expressions to insert Sigil split markers into the file and then split it all at once.

Alternatively, going to the end of the file and manually splitting each chapter off the very end results in the least number of file rewrites.

No changes to file splitting have been made recently at all so if something changed, it is because of changes on your machine, not Sigil. Perhaps some virus checker or system function is playing with Sigil's temp files? If so, you should set your own temp file directory via Sigil preferences or temporarily disable scanning of temp files by your virus checker.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #110
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe the Cleaning progress dialog comes up whenever Mend has a considerable amount of work to contend with. I used to see it occasionally, but I just don't tend work with source material anymore that's in such a state where I have to endure it. The files are typically huge where the dialog is visible.

Can you downgrade to Sigil 0.9.9 (or whatever version you were previously working with) and verify that the issue goes away when performing the exact same steps with the exact same source?
Advert
Old 09-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #111
wyvern
Small friendly dragon
wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyvern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 'Cleaning' messages were coming up briefly in the Sigil window. They go away as the file is gradually split into smaller ones.

The path for the temp directory is <SIGIL_DEFAULT_TEMP_HOME> - I don't know where that is and am reluctant to change it in case any more problems result.

Sigil is extremely slow to respond to any menu command etc until the splitting is done now. That wasn't the case before the upgrade - it had reasonable response to any command. Now the 'unresponsive' message appears at the top when anything is tried and the blue windows spinning cursor appears. Once the file has been split, this problem goes away. This problem appeared immediately on upgrading to 0.9.10. The file is large - a book of over 164,000 words - but the program coped fine with it before.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:54 AM   #112
wyvern
Small friendly dragon

Cross posted. I will try downgrading as you suggest, thank you.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:56 AM   #113
wyvern
Small friendly dragon

for info, the file is 1056 KB in actual file size. And it has been extensively cleaned up in a HTML editor before opening in Sigil.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #114
wyvern
Small friendly dragon

OK downgraded to 0.9.9 and tried it with this version of the file and it is as far as I can tell just as bad. Once a few splits are put in, those files can be instantly accessed but double-clicking the large file remnant again produces a spinning blue circle. So it does seem to be objecting to the file size despite the fact that it has only had mostly minor text changes to the Word original, the whole thing has been regenerated from scratch and an extensive clean up performed which is identical to every previous version when all was OK. (Said cleanup removes a lot of the Word-generated rubbish style info, for example, and replaces it with a one line reference to a separate CSS.) The epub check is fine. As the problem goes away once the splitting is done will just have to put up with it.

Last edited by wyvern; 09-08-2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #115
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@wyvern - I get the impression you might be importing the HTML output from Word.

If you have Word 2007 or later, you would probably be better off converting from DOCX and doing the splits during conversion, and you won't get nearly as much crud in the EPUB XHTML. There are several ways to do this:

Calibre. If you have calibre that's probably the simplest one to try.

Epub Tools add-on for Word. The Word Add-on can create an EPUB from within Word, and it has many other features, including some aimed at cleaning OCR scans, and an invaluable Dialogue Checker.

DOCX Import plugin for Sigil. The DOCXInput plugin uses the Mammoth DOCX->HTML converter, it's takes a bit of effort to configure, but if you have documents that have complex styling it might be worth the effort.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #116
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The largest book I ever worked with was 140,000 words. I use a separate style sheet. The html is a single (clean) file. I link to the style sheet, format the title page, go to the end of it, and click on the split icon. Go to the new file, build the TOC, split, etc etc and so on and so forth. It's an old Win 7 machine with a Pooh Bear RAM (Pooh was a bear of little brain).

Sigil is very quick, save when I return to it in the morning, when it is Not Responding for a few minutes. It's just as fast today as when I was using 7.x.x.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:23 AM   #117
kdd6
kdd6 began at the beginning.

I used to use Sigil on Windows, but went to the Mac, running Sierra. I understand that I need Active Tcl version 8.6.4.1. That version is not available for download. Is it ok to install the current version 8.6.7.0 with this current version of Sigil? Thanks for allowing this question for this thread. If I have any further questions, I will find the proper venue to pose the question or start a new thread.
Cheers!
kdd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #118
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
The largest book I ever worked with was 140,000 words. I use a separate style sheet. The html is a single (clean) file. I link to the style sheet, format the title page, go to the end of it, and click on the split icon. Go to the new file, build the TOC, split, etc etc and so on and so forth.
How (and why?) do you build the TOC before all the chapters are split and given suitable <h1>Chapter Name</h1> headings? Then you can use the Create TOC function for both the internal TOC and the HTML one.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #119
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdd6 View Post
I used to use Sigil on Windows, but went to the Mac, running Sierra. I understand that I need Active Tcl version 8.6.4.1. That version is not available for download. Is it ok to install the current version 8.6.7.0 with this current version of Sigil? Thanks for allowing this question for this thread. If I have any further questions, I will find the proper venue to pose the question or start a new thread.
Cheers!
Didn't want this question to be missed due to thread page changes. I suspect any 8.6.x.x version of Active's TCL/Tk will suffice, but I'll let a Mac expert say for sure.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #120
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, any 8.6.x version should work given the symlinks used to point to the library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Didn't want this question to be missed due to thread page changes. I suspect any 8.6.x.x version of Active's TCL/Tk will suffice, but I'll let a Mac expert say for sure.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote