Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Deleted books won't reinstall?

I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere before, but I can't find the answer. Point me to it? Or just tell me.

I deleted a couple of books from my kobo (WiFi) with its "delete" feature. Then I tried to reinstall them. When I plug the kobo into my computer, the books show up as being on it; but they're not showing on the kobo itself, not in the "I'm Reading" under "new", nor under "Books" itself. What gives? Is it impossible to reload something that's been deleted once?
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere before, but I can't find the answer. Point me to it? Or just tell me.

I deleted a couple of books from my kobo (WiFi) with its "delete" feature. Then I tried to reinstall them. When I plug the kobo into my computer, the books show up as being on it; but they're not showing on the kobo itself, not in the "I'm Reading" under "new", nor under "Books" itself. What gives? Is it impossible to reload something that's been deleted once?

I had the same issue; the only way I was able to get around it was deleting them from my purchased books on the kobobooks site and then restoring them from the deleted bin. then my kobo was able to download the books again.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
I had the same issue; the only way I was able to get around it was deleting them from my purchased books on the kobobooks site and then restoring them from the deleted bin. then my kobo was able to download the books again.
Hmm, that won't work- they're sideloaded from the Ebooks right here, not from the kobobooks site. And I can download them onto the kobo- they're there, they're just not showing up.
I've tried deleting them off the kobo via my computer, just dragged them off the kobo into the recycle bin (on a Mac); then reloaded them; but they're still not visible.
It's like the kobo decided that once I deleted them, I couldn't look at them ever again...
Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
This almost sounds like a synching issue...did you try synching and then disconnecting your cable so the Kobo can upate? Otherwise, I'd bring this up with the Kobo tech support...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
Hmm, that won't work- they're sideloaded from the Ebooks right here, not from the kobobooks site. And I can download them onto the kobo- they're there, they're just not showing up.
I've tried deleting them off the kobo via my computer, just dragged them off the kobo into the recycle bin (on a Mac); then reloaded them; but they're still not visible.
It's like the kobo decided that once I deleted them, I couldn't look at them ever again...
I've actually had this happen once when I had some sideloaded books on an sd card; they disapeared for no reason, and then they came back, again for no particular reason.

Only thing I really could suggest is removing them from the kobo, then do a restore on the kobo in the settings/advanced menu, and then re-add the books and see if they come back normally. Otherwise, you can try using Calibre (I'm pretty sure Calibre has a mac client?) to see if it can see the books on your kobo and maybe get it to try and re-sync it.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 PM   #6
amo
Teaist

Okay, I found a way around! Plugged in the kobo, found the items on the kobo in the Finder. Copied them onto the desktop for safekeeping, then deleted them from the kobo via "move to trash" (put in the recycle bin, in PC speak). Ejected kobo, waited for it to "update content". Plugged it back in. Drag & dropped the items back onto the kobo from the desktop. Ejected, updated- and there they are again! Whoot.

The only weird thing is that I thought I'd already tried that method yesterday, and it didn't work...

I'm going to start calling my kobo "Lizard's Delight"- it's so full of bugs. But I still love it.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
amo
Teaist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Otherwise, you can try using Calibre (I'm pretty sure Calibre has a mac client?) to see if it can see the books on your kobo and maybe get it to try and re-sync it.[/INDENT]
I'm not using Calibre, (yet), because it seems to freeze up my Mac. Maybe my Mac's too old (OS Tiger)- it can't run the kobo desktop app either.

But yes, your other suggestion is pretty much what i ended up doing.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I had a similar occurence last night. In Calibre I had somehow buggered up the name of a book, and I had already synced to the Kobo.

I removed it from the Kobo, unplugged it etc. Then changed the name in Calibre and retransferred it. I then unplugged the Kobo and watched it process changes. After the processing, the book was not to be found on the Kobo.

Reattached to the PC and Calibre. Initially the book showed up as being on the Kobo (green tick mark in the list of books) but then, a few seconds later it disappeared.

The book was however on the file system of the Kobo.

ADE could see it on the Kobo with no problems.

After lots of messing around and frustration, I tried to sync the book from ADE to the Kobo; this worked fine, with the only difference being the directory the book ended up on in the Kobo; rather than "Lastname, First Name" it was in "Digital Editions".

I had even looked through the database on the Kobo to see if there was any sign of the book there; nope.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Windows users may want to avoid the 0.7.29 update to Calibre released today. Tim identified a problem with the Calibre kobo driver and windows.

Tim has a plug-in that is a temporary fix. He said he would post it on MR, so I am thinking it will be in the Calibre forum, not here.

Last edited by taming; 11-19-2010 at 10:28 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote