Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #16
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is Paperbackdigital cheaper then booksonboard?
Nine times out of ten: YES! Well, at least for the books I bought! And yeah, BoB is kinda cheap too, but you can shave off a few more cents

An example:

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ook&BOOK=11953
https://secure.paperbackdigital.com/...=141&tid=19050

or:

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...ok&BOOK=106745
https://secure.paperbackdigital.com/...=136&tid=15742

And then there's the rebate thing making your next order even cheaper...

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenea View Post
Hi there!

Are you like me? Looking at all those titles available at ebook stores only available in Mobipocket format and you're not sure if it's wise to buy them? Because, well, what if they go bankrupt, or offline again or, even worse, your reader doesn't support the format natively?

Well, I say: GO BUY THOSE NICE BOOKS, LOTS OF THEM

Why? Read more here: removed

Aenea

PS. If the above URL doesn't work then the DNS hasn't been changed yet by your ISP. You can try this one instead (same site, different alias): removed

Aenea,

Can you clarify something, please:

Is this being done using iRex's source code for the iLiad MobiPocket reader? If so, do you have their permission to use it in this way - ie, is this a 100% legal conversion tool?

I'm not asking whether or not the use of the tool is legitimate, but whether or not the tool itself is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 AM   #18
hkabir
e-bookviner
hkabir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPodTouch
Hi Aenea, you just saved my life. I purchased some books from Mobipocket.com website, and after the recent crush of the website, I couldn't get into the website even after the new password process since I don't have access to my email account I've with them. Mobi people didn't resolve the matter yet after several repeated request. Your program helped me to get the access to the books. DRM books are so troublesome! I remeber Richard Stallman's warning not to buy DRMed ebooks unless you crack the DRM. I definitely want the books 'free as is freedom'. I don't my freedom to read a book that purchased at stake.
hkabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 AM   #19
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
While I congratulate Aenea for his programming skills, I'd like to urge everyone to respect other people's copyrights. This said, we received word from iRex that the Mobipocket Decoder is in violation of the copyright laws that protect the source codes both from iRex Technologies and from Mobipocket.

As a consequence, we were forced to remove the links. Thanks for your understanding.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #20
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Aenea

We would like to stress that the usage of the iRex Technologies and Mobipockets JAR files is in violation of copyright laws.

I can understand people's objection against DRM and I might have my own personal opinions about it but it does not warrant anybody to violate copyright laws nor will it do any good to those involved.

Thanks for understanding

Karel
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #21
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
We would like to stress that the usage of the iRex Technologies and Mobipockets JAR files is in violation of copyright laws.
Aenea, could you just offer the patch/diff file? This would be perfectly legit.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 AM   #22
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Maybe with a script to apply the patch....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If there were to be a "diff" file, who would it be usable by? Only people who own an iLiad?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes... and on reflection, the patch would probably still run afoul of the DMCA.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:09 PM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Not if it were being used with the copyright holder's permission, surely?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #26
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not if it were being used with the copyright holder's permission, surely?
You think Mobipocket is going to give permission to patch their product to remove DRM? (Am I confused as to what this patch does?)
Old 09-05-2007, 12:11 PM   #27
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Only if hosted and installed in the US.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
You think Mobipocket is going to give permission to patch their product to remove DRM? (Am I confused as to what this patch does?)
No, you misunderstand me. What I meant was that MobiPocket's code for their reader obviously quite legitimately "unlocks" the book so it can be read by the devices that the file is keyed to. That code clearly does not violate the DCMA. It's only a DCMA violation if a 3rd party writes code to bypass somebody else's DCMA.

If a legitimate iLiad owner used a program "sat on top of" MobiPocket's code, but directed the unlocked output to a file rather than to the screen, I suspect that would be "legit", provided that one was fully licenced to use the original code (ie as an iLiad owner).

I could of course be wrong .
Old 09-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #29
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

HarryT, I'd be very surprised if you're right on this. There have been quite a few well publicized cases recently where media publishers have gone after people who made "unlocking" tools available to break various forms of DRM. I've picked up a pretty strong impression that in the US, distributing the tools themselves is illegal under the DMCA. I don't agree that this should be the case, but I think that's the way the US law reads currently.

(Isn't it ironic that we should be having this somewhat role-reversed conversation?)
Old 09-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #30
Aenea
Zealot
Aenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a TexanAenea might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Aenea

Hee Karel, well, okay, it's gone now, so And yes, I do understand, didn't want to make it very public at 1st, but some people were asking for it... Pitty though, I know there are plenty of people like me who didn't buy DRM'd ebooks, now I do...

Aenea
Aenea is offline   Reply With Quote