Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #1
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Some more EZ-Reader questions

So after putting it off for quite awhile I finally broke down and ordered an EZ-Reader from Frys.com. I realize that points I'm going to raise have been discussed before but I'm looking for just a little clarification. So if anyone sees anything wrong with the statements below would you correct me.

1. Basically no matter what format the book is in and no matter what firmware or reading software you are using when it is displayed on the reader there is very little formating of the text. Css and many html tags aren't supported.

2. When attached to the USB cable you can mount and access both the internal memory and the sd card as seperate drives.

3. Limited pdf support from any of available firmwares. This one is pretty low on my list as I think I have a total of about 15 or so pdf books mostly reference.

4. Decent support from Astak, as its the EZ-Reader that I'm getting.

5. Open Inkpot or the lbook firmware seems to be the way to go as far as firmware is concerned.

To finish up here's an outright question. I have many books that I've converted to imp format, but I still have the original files and the html used to convert to imp. Which supported format on the EZ-Reader seems to be the best, and does it really matter with the limited support of text formating? Mobi, epub, straight html?
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
With the standard firmware, MOBI or FB2 is best. I would not say that CSS is completely missing if you use Calibre to convert HTML to MOBI. MOBI does not have CSS, but Calibre converts CSS to the best it can do given MOBIs limitations.

If you use OpenInkPot, then MOBI or FB2 or ePub will work well. If your ebooks are single-file HTML, FBReader (OpenInkPot) will read these "as is" (if there are images put everything in a ZIP file). You can try FBReader on your Desktop before your EZ Reader arrives. It looks similar under OIP, except that the options interface is simplified.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I'd add one comment to Wallcraft's; you can also use RTF with the FBreader in Openinkpot. Not saying it's the best but may be the easiest depending where you start. When I scan & OCR a pbook I typically keep the results in RTF at least until I've finished proofing the OCR.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #4
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Thanks for the information. I'm hoping that I will enjoy my new EZ-Reader. Guess I'll do some expermenting with FBReader. I use it on my n810 and also have it installed on my pc.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
The LBook software does a decent job of displaying HTML books. I don't know about the CSS support or not.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote