Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-14-2023, 06:09 AM   #1
SinusAsperitatis
SinusAsperitatis began at the beginning.

Device: none
Additional folder for attachment

I would suggest the implementation of an additional folder in which you can place attached files. There are some texts such as those on programming that often have sample files attached. Currently I tried to add a folder (EXTRA) going to the Path (click to open) but if you make a change in the author this folder is lost. So I think it would be useful to make sure that at least any added folder can be kept but much more usable if it were explicitly implemented.

SinusAsperitatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:35 AM   #2
msel
Connoisseur
msel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the huskmsel can grip it by the husk

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Hello SinusAsperitatis,

I use the following solution for attachments: I have a folder outside of calibre. Every book record in Calibre has an unique ID (integer value). I use this ID as a subfolder where I store attachments and link the attachment folder to the book record with a special Id (i use ext:file:///path/to/attachment/folder/id).
msel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 01:38 PM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Pony up 10,000 to fund it....
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 02:37 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=353175
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 06:56 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Pony up 10,000 to fund it....
It's on Kovid's TODO list… and I have a suspicion it's not too far away.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 05:45 AM   #6
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
Then they should pony up 2000
Old 04-15-2023, 11:31 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Then they should pony up 2000
I think the need to stay under 5K or the Feds get notified.
But 5K would probably rearrange the todo list
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 12:07 PM   #8
Bookstooge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think the need to stay under 5K or the Feds get notified.
But 5K would probably rearrange the todo list
I thought 10K was the limit? Did that change in the last year or two?
Old 04-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msel View Post
Hello SinusAsperitatis,

I use the following solution for attachments: I have a folder outside of calibre. Every book record in Calibre has an unique ID (integer value). I use this ID as a subfolder where I store attachments and link the attachment folder to the book record with a special Id (i use ext:file:///path/to/attachment/folder/id).
@msel - I've adapted your scheme as follows:

I created a folder called !Attachments in the library and configured Library maintenance->Check library to ignore it. For books requiring attachments I create folders named [book-number] author - title in the !Attachments folder.

Rather than using a special identifier, I add the file URL to an existing long text column (#links/Links).

When you posted here I was in the middle of doing this ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=15

But that's okay, because I was also cleaning up garbage and getting order into names and folder hierarchies - and it was easy to migrate. The pro of the new scheme is that I have access to Windows Open With feature, the con is that the ../!Attachment/[nnnn] blah - blah folders are loosely coupled with the books, but in proximity - my CAL-ATTACH scheme had them tightly coupled.

BR
Old 04-21-2023, 12:57 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
Done ==>> Allow storing extra data files with a book

And a shiny new trash can with one click restore.

BR

Tags
additional folder, attachments, suggestion