Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Sephiroth,
Sephiroth, began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Paper books as collectible objects

I own a Kindle DX since mid-July and I couldn't be happier with it; I wasn't an avid reader before (I only read required books for the university) but now I can't stop reading.

Sometimes I wish I had some of my books in paper form, mostly those I love and if they're very long (900 pages and more) ; I don't really care about the smell or feel of paper, but I think there's something fascinating in owning really big books with colourful covers -kind of like trophies. So, I'm hesitating in spending my money in paper versions of books I already have in digital form.

Am I normal?
Sephiroth, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Sephiroth.

There will always be a need and space for shelf-worthy books.

I collect Agatha Christie Stephen King and James Michener.

E-book readers don't replace paper books, or make them obsolete.........they just add another dimension to them.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Personally, I still prefer paper for certain kinds of non-fiction, but not because they are collectible objects, simply because they are easier and more enjoyable to read (for example I have never enjoyed the cookbook e-experience). As far as books as 'objects' go, the only ones I have are the vintage A.A. Milne my grandmother used to read to me, and as my first sort of decorating/buying art purchase ever, I had an art student design and make for me some shadow box frames for them to properly protect and display them. But that was done not so much as a 'collectible objects' thing and more because it is a very strong memory I have of my ailing grandmother, and I was seeing these books as my big memento of her. I did not want them moldering on a shelf, I wanted to display them as a memento and give them the tribute they deserve. Fwiw it was about $100 per frame (there are three of them) so $300 total, which was quite a lot for me. But now that I have them and they look so beautiful and I think warmly of my grandma every time I walk buy, it was totally worth it and I will treasure them.

But as I said, that was more about honouring my memento from my grandmother. They could have been something else instead of books, that just happened to be our particular thing. You can see pictures here if you want to.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

what they said ^^^^^^
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Paper books as collectible objects

They are certainly efficient at collecting dust.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #6
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
A bit like stamps. They have a certain curiosity value I suppose.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth, View Post
[...] there's something fascinating in owning really big books with colourful covers -kind of like trophies.
I am the same way. I don't really care to own paper books anymore, but I do miss the beautiful covers. For my own gratification, I will sometimes open up Calibre and browse through it in "cover mode". It's highly satisfying.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I wish I could continue to collect books in paper form, but for me it's purely the space issue. I would love to have a Victorian era library with a fireplace and comfy chair and wall to celing bookshelves, but alas we just don't have the spare room. My friends all love my 505 though...they don't shudder at the thought of helping me move anymore.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
bridgetostars
bridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with othersbridgetostars plays well with others

Device: Nook
I forget where I saw this, some article about ebook something, but someone said "If you love books, ebooks are no substitute. If you love reading, you'll never look back,". Forgive me for more remembering the quote exactly, or where I got it from. Heh.

I think it rings pretty true. I love books, so I still have a nice looking bookshelf of my favorites. I love reading, so I've embraced the various advantages of ebooks. It doesn't have to be either or, and I don't think it's odd to have a foot set firmly in each camp. I still plan on picking up interesting looking 'analog' books (hehe), especially ones with interesting covers!
bridgetostars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
JoeKeppler
New Author
JoeKeppler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
While I am head over heels with the new electronic medium and all of its exciting possibilities, I do have to say that, to me, there's nothing like a dedicated shelf of hardcovers.
But yeah, I'd agree with the post topic here... we're talking collectible/ornamental aesthetic I guess!
Still... for me, there's just something... "off" about reading the "classics" on an electronic screen. I adore my leather-bound tome lookin edition of "The Odyssey." A week or so ago I installed the iphone app "Classics" and it came with a free copy of the book... didn't last too long with it, despite having read that book numerous times over.
JoeKeppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I am the same way. I don't really care to own paper books anymore, but I do miss the beautiful covers. For my own gratification, I will sometimes open up Calibre and browse through it in "cover mode". It's highly satisfying.
I thought I was the only one who did this. All my e-books in Calibre have to have covers and blurbs. I start my Saturday mornings browsing Calibre and Goodreads. I mark what I've already read in Goodreads and Calibre, browse covers and blurbs in Cover Flow. I also check my two OverDrive libraries for new stuff.

My husband thinks I'm just playing on the computer - I can't seem to explain adequately to him that I'm really at the library. Especially since I take my daughter to the physical library right after I do my library thing.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I thought I was the only one who did this. All my e-books in Calibre have to have covers and blurbs. I start my Saturday mornings browsing Calibre and Goodreads. I mark what I've already read in Goodreads and Calibre, browse covers and blurbs in Cover Flow. I also check my two OverDrive libraries for new stuff.

My husband thinks I'm just playing on the computer - I can't seem to explain adequately to him that I'm really at the library. Especially since I take my daughter to the physical library right after I do my library thing.
That's the way I'm going. I can't remember the last time I bought a paper book. I used to make a monthly foray up to the best used bookstore near my office, but I don't do that any more. I kinda miss it, but now I do far more browsing for books on line. Goodreads rules!
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I do this TOO! Glad I'm not the only one...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I do miss covers. I recently bought a paper books specifically because I liked the cover and have four others by the same author already and thought they would look nice together.

I also like to look at DVD/CD cover art and I look at all the inserts. It's very upsetting to me when I get a DVD and all that is in the clamshell is the DVD!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #15
jeffcobb
Groupie
jeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enoughjeffcobb will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, CoolER
I have some autographed volumes by people no one here would care about that I cherish and will always keep (and NEVER lend out; I have lost more books that way than Star Trek lost security guards beaming down to planets)...but as a rule, having moved so much that comes with my trade, the ebook is king.
jeffcobb is offline   Reply With Quote