Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-12-2006, 12:31 PM   #16
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
So when are you likely to put this back online? (I found it useful, if only for 2 days)
Devlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM   #17
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
jaed, don't take it wrong if somebody mentions copyright issues. It's probably just to help you to make sure nothing happens to you
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 03:36 PM   #18
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
jaed, don't take it wrong if somebody mentions copyright issues. It's probably just to help you to make sure nothing happens to you
Well... I've paid my TV License for this year...! I don't want to infringe on anyones copyright -- I think no-one will think I'm the beeb...! Hopefully you should be seeing the news in 16 shades of grey...!
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #19
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Actually I am more concerned he'll piss off the BBC and have them thinking that iLiad developers are pirates.

Take for example 2.4:
Where possible you must create a functional link back to the BBC News story(ies) summarised by the BBC Content . If you are displaying the BBC Feed where a functional link back to the BBC is not possible, you must display on-screen the URL from which the BBC Content can be obtained (scroll down to the accreditation section below.) You may not directly or indirectly change, edit, add to or produce summaries of the BBC Content or any content on the BBC website nor place any full-story BBC content in an HTML frame-set.

He's in full compliance, yep. Hmm maybe this is why RSS2PDF doesn't copy the story eh what?

Section 3.1:
(iii) users of the Site shall be required to comply with terms that are equivalent to the Standard Licence Terms in relation to their use of BBC Content.

I notice his site requires its users to.. uh, where was that on his site??? But he's fully compliant.

Section 4.1:
4.1 You hereby agree to indemnify, hold harmless and defend the BBC in respect of all damages, costs and expenses, including reasonable legal fees and litigation expenses, arising out of or as a result of any breach of the Standard Licence Terms or otherwise in connection with your use of the BBC Feed (including the BBC Content).

I wonder if "If you brick your iLiad talk to iRex" would be considered indemnifying the BBC from liability if someone's iLiad bricked itself eating the BBC's HTML as modified by his scripts? I'd think the BBC would want at least a click through page (a so called "overt act") agreeing to terms and to hold the BBC harmless from bricking liability...

After all, who's pockets are deeper?
A) Jaed's
B) iRex's
C) BBC's

I can just see the terribly restrained concern on the BBC lawyer's face when he/she read's that "bricking" clause.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 AM   #20
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I can just see the terribly restrained concern on the BBC lawyer's face when he/she read's that "bricking" clause.
Um... Your "refresh" button doesn't seem to be working... I updated that page at around 7 last night...
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 06:50 AM   #21
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Sorry, but you're not only redistributing the RSS feed, but the actual articles as well and that definitely is a copyright violation.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:07 AM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
After all, who's pockets are deeper?
A) Jaed's
B) iRex's
C) BBC's
The BBC doesn't have any money, don't you ever watch the Dr. Who reruns?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #23
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jęd
Thank you for your *constructive* advice...! Right at the moment its more of a technology demo than any regular service... There is very, very little actual content being generated specifically for the Illiad and I hoping that this gives back to the community. If anything, it gives a look at how the html browser included with the Illiad can be used to provide a "newspaper" style service...

Right at the moment the biggest problem is my time more than anything... But I obviously welcome any *constructive* suggestions that people have...!
Right there is very little content, and the last thing we need is license violating content. That isn't very constructive to the situation.

What we need is legal, license respecting content.

That others aren't helping you self police yourself is just making matters worse. The iLiad community is going to come off as a bunch of content thirsty pirates.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:22 AM   #24
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
The BBC doesn't have any money, don't you ever watch the Dr. Who reruns?
You're right, but then the low budgets are what kept it going for so long right? If it had had a real budget we'd all be going "Dr. Who???"

Last edited by scotty1024; 10-13-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #25
Devlar
Enthusiast
Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Devlar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you sir, thus far everything seems to be working wonderfully.

However, I'm still curious as to how exactly you made this. (Preferably in small words for simple minds to understand)

Any chance of getting a step-by-step?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #26
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
Sorry, but you're not only redistributing the RSS feed, but the actual articles as well and that definitely is a copyright violation.
Plus he's "stealing" their content clicks.

An application such as Sunrise or TheDailyiLiadian grabs the articles using the user's internet connection. The BBC gets all their click data and they can be happy knowing where, what and when everyone is reading their BBC content.

The BBC managers can sit back with a happy warm glow as they see geographical / chronographical / categorical ranked graphs and charts full of trends and projections.

Maybe his "bouncy" connection is them blocking him.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #27
Devlar
Enthusiast

Right, see the problem with that line of thinking is ultimately, BBC is a public broadcaster, which doesn't get its funding from "clicks". If this were let's say the NYT then maybe someone could make that argument, however, this is not the case. Even in that situation simply ensuring that the adverts are in the created feed is more than enough to satisfy everyone.

Furthermore, to say that its a requirement for them to take your personal information in exchange for the content is also rubbish since that would mean anyone who uses a public proxy, like Tor, to access BBC is a thief. If that's the case then someone hand me my pirate hat since honestly, if that's the world we live in then, "ARGH Maytee" and I'm keeping my proxy.

If BBC complains, I'm sure jaed will take it down, but I think we both know that's not bloody likely.

If you are still roid raging over it, this forum has a clever post for that
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6902
Just remember, take deep breaths with your diaphram.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #28
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlar
Thank you sir, thus far everything seems to be working wonderfully.

However, I'm still curious as to how exactly you made this. (Preferably in small words for simple minds to understand)

Any chance of getting a step-by-step?
I'll post up my source-code pretty soon so you'll be able to see it... And I'm pretty sure Scotty will be doing the same for his application... I'm interested in how it works. I'm sure he could show me a programming trick or two...!
Old 10-13-2006, 06:57 PM   #29
scotty1024
Banned

Yep, sure can!

And without even seeing your source code.

Check out that smokin' off by one bug you have in your manifest.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #30
jęd
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
Right there is very little content, and the last thing we need is license violating content. That isn't very constructive to the situation.

What we need is legal, license respecting content.

That others aren't helping you self police yourself is just making matters worse. The iLiad community is going to come off as a bunch of content thirsty pirates.
Heh. Just got reminded of this thread from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=bbc

So far I haven't had the BBC serving any writs.... And I'm still using this a whopping 3 years afterwards...!