Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Kobo Firmware question

Having just taken the plunge and acquired a Kobo Forma after a hiatus with an Android device (I used to use a Kobo Touch), I'm in the process of setting it up.

From the few books I purchased from Kobo, I see that series information is supported. My question is: what about sub-series information? For example, the Robin Hobb Realm of the Elderlings series is split into several trilogies. If only series is supported, then I run the risk of reading them in the wrong order. If the new firmware doesn't support sub-series information, then is it possible to override the metadata from Kobo with the metadata from calibre?
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@maddz: Yes (to your final question). See the options in the Calibre Kobo driver, as well as the KoboUtilities plugin, and @davidfor's numerous posts on the subject.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All my calibre setting were for my Touch last used 2.5 years ago; things aren't working properly for the Forma when I did a test upload (author 1 with series, sub-series and stand alone books, author 2 with series).

Now I've got to figure out what changes I need to make for the Forma to get:

Automated collections
Series & sub-series info

I suspect the first is a matter of tweaking the tick-boxes in the KoboTouchExtended plug-in, and the second is a matter of editing the meta-data plugboard.
Old 09-29-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
maddz
Wizard

OK, got the collections working correctly.

Still can't see the series info except on books direct from Kobo.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
OK, got the collections working correctly.

Still can't see the series info except on books direct from Kobo.
You put the books on the Kobo and then eject it. Once they are imported into the database, you have to plug the Kobo back into the computer with Calibre running so it can add the series info. The series info cannot be added without the books already being in the database.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #6
maddz
Wizard

So I see. Managed it by updating cached metadata on device from the device button.

Still don't see the sub-series data though, but as that's a custom column job I may not be able to get at it. We'll see. My main problem is side-loading everything so I can take the Forma into work with me.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
So I see. Managed it by updating cached metadata on device from the device button.

Still don't see the sub-series data though, but as that's a custom column job I may not be able to get at it. We'll see. My main problem is side-loading everything so I can take the Forma into work with me.
You don't need sub series. Just put the books in the order of the main series.

So if you have books 1-5 and 2 & 3 are a sub series, they will be labeled as the main series 2 & 3.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't need sub series. Just put the books in the order of the main series.

So if you have books 1-5 and 2 & 3 are a sub series, they will be labeled as the main series 2 & 3.
Or you could number them 1,2.1,2.2,3,4,5. I don't know how it will sort on the device, but I believe you will be able to see the series numbers.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Or you could number them 1,2.1,2.2,3,4,5. I don't know how it will sort on the device, but I believe you will be able to see the series numbers.
Or using my example of 1-5, do it this way...

Series [1]
Series-sub-series 1 [2]
Series-sub-series 2 [3]
Series [4]
Series [5]

That would also do for the Series column in Calibre.