Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
hotwired
hotwired began at the beginning.

Device: kindle hdx 8.9
collections via usb

Is there a way to "manually" drag books into and out of collections on an e ink kindle via USB? Sort of like you would with files and folders in windows explorer? There doesn't appear to be "folders" for collections, only a "Documents" folder ... it sure would be nice!

Thanks all.
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly - you’ve been a member more than long enough to know the right place to ask questions.

Answer: No. Collections are not folders.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
hotwired
hotwired began at the beginning.

Device: kindle hdx 8.9
correcting people

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please use the forums correctly - you’ve been a member more than long enough to know the right place to ask questions.

Answer: No. Collections are not folders.
Correcting someone the way you just corrected me serves little value beyond making you "right" and me "wrong." Like many of the people on ANY online forum, I've posted 2-3 times in the 10 years (?) I've been a member. If I did something wrong, I'm certainly open to direction, if you've anything to offer.
hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If your kindle is registered, you can create Collections on the kindle itself, even with the wifi switched off. Just put your books onto the reader, in the documents folder, then create desired Collections on your kindle and put the books into the collections (the kindle will direct you how to do this).

To create a Collection just go to the home page, tap the three dots at the upper right, this should bring up the option to create a new collection.

Your kindle MUST be registered to do this.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Short answer: no.

Long answer: indirectly, but only on a Jailbroken device, and with a two-step process. c.f., Kindle Collections Plugin & LibrarianSync.

Technical reason: Collections are stored in a SQLite database that happens to live in a system partition, not the one exported over USB (unlike on, say, Kobos).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert