Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-21-2016, 03:03 AM   #1
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Buy a Voyage or wait for Voyage 2?

Hi,

The title says it all really. There are some rumours online about the Voyage 2 and this is making me hesitant to go for the Voyage. I can't find anything official about the Voyage 2 and wondered what you guys think...is the v2 likely soon?

Thanks
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:26 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Why does it matter? If the Voyage does what you require in a reading device, get it. It won't do any less if a successor appears.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 03:41 AM   #3
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why does it matter? If the Voyage does what you require in a reading device, get it. It won't do any less if a successor appears.
It matters to me, hence the question and my bothering to post and ask. I'm not going to start justifying my question just because you think it's wrong. Wow!

Thanks for your extremely unhelpful reply HarryT
Old 03-21-2016, 04:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhelpful why? You asked whether to buy a Voyage now or wait. You (presumably) have a set of requirements for a reader. If the Voyage meets those requirements, it would be a reasonable decision to buy it. Certainly there will be a successor at some point, but Amazon never pre-announce new devices, and rumours are just that, rumours, with no truth behind them. Nobody knows if or when a new model will be introduced. There will always be new models in the future, so you may as well buy what's actually available now.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:14 AM   #5
leaston
Addict

I don't have the energy to start going into the why behind my original post. Suffice it to say I have reasons to ask, none of which are your business.

It was a simple question about whether the V2 is imminent as per some of the rumours (which sometimes do pan out) or whether it really is vapourware at the moment.

I was kind of hoping for a less adversarial and judgy answer, but never mind.
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I have answered your question: nobody knows. Amazon do not pre-announce release dates.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:32 AM   #7
leaston
Addict

Quote:
I have answered your question: nobody knows. Amazon do not pre-announce release dates.
Ok, still missing the point, but whatever. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:42 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm afraid it's the only answer you're going to get. You don't have to take my word for it, of course, but nobody's going to tell you anything different. "Nobody knows" really is the truth.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no word of a Voyage 2. So either you buy a Voyage or wait for an unknown amount of time for a Voyage 2 if such even comes out. We just don't know. We had a rumor about a release for last year and nothing came of it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:11 AM   #10
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Although there are not even any firm rumours about a Voyage 2, if it were me, unless I was really needing to upgrade imminently, I'd be happy to wait. However, it is an indeterminate amount of time you are going to have to wait for it.

Like HarryT says, there will certainly be a successor at some point, and as a) the Voyage was released over a year ago, and b) as there is clearly a little room for improvement on the original, I figure its possible there will be a successor sometime this year.

In saying that, you could just buy the Voyage now and still potentially have it for 6-7 months before a successor is announced. Amazon usually release new models in the Autumn, but the updated PW3 was June. In saying that, there's no guarantee there will even be a new model released this year.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Like HarryT says, there will certainly be a successor at some point, and as a) the Voyage was released over a year ago, and b) as there is clearly a little room for improvement on the original, I figure its possible there will be a successor sometime this year.
I'm not sure that it is certain. The main differentiating factor between the Voyage and the PW was the 300dpi screen. Now that the PW3 has the same screen, it's entirely possible that Amazon will decide that there's no need for a "premium" model above the PW range. We just don't know.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Ok. Know that as soon as you either buy this one or wait for the next one, there will more than likely be a newer one in a few years.
So the question becomes do you need/want/afford an ereader now or do you just want to upgrade and make sure you have the latest and greatest?

Also you could buy now and when a new one comes out sell the old one.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
JazzyJeff
Enthusiast
JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JazzyJeff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
It matters to me, hence the question and my bothering to post and ask. I'm not going to start justifying my question just because you think it's wrong. Wow!

Thanks for your extremely unhelpful reply HarryT
You ask our opinions and then criticize them? Personally I don't see what a second generation would have to offer over current models. It seems you have your mind made up already so why ask us?
JazzyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm not sure that it is certain. The main differentiating factor between the Voyage and the PW was the 300dpi screen. Now that the PW3 has the same screen, it's entirely possible that Amazon will decide that there's no need for a "premium" model above the PW range. We just don't know.
I'm guessing Amazon will keep their "premium" line. In addition to the (now) shared 300dpi screen, the Voyage is lighter and has the page turn buttons. And there are certain number of people who prefer a premium reader.

As for a new Voyage 2 -- to answer the original question -- I'm guessing there's a decent chance there will be a new model (sometime) this year. But that's just a guess. I don't know if I would wait for it, however, if I wanted a Voyage.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:56 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
If a successor comes out in the near future, this puts him one model back almost immediately. Who knows what features the new Voyage might have. I personally don't care about this sort of thing, as I'm still happily using a Kindle Touch and a Kindle Non-Touch -- but some folks do care. The original question was valid.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote