Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #91
penty
Connoisseur
penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.penty has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: CyBook Gen3
Read our notes delphidb96, that's a planned feature.
penty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #92
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't see a problem where if the device auto suspends after about 30min of no button presses (if not playing music). Waiting the extra 30s for it to come out of resume is a small price to pay for improved battery life. It should come out when pressing any button, not just the power button. Ideally, it would know which button brought it out of suspend so that action can be taken once the system is ready. Some indicator would be necessary to explain the wait, but otherwise keep the text on the screen until the system is back up. Definitely don't want to see any boot imagry.

If some people always need it "at the ready", for example a salesman using it for quick reference to show a client, then there should be a menu option to disable auto-suspend.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Of course, if it's turn off/ turn on cycle takes you back to the main menu, it could be somewhat frustrating. In such a case, having a sleep/suspend mode which takes you back directly to where you were reading would be a nice feature - one which, in version 0.91 (beta) I sorely miss.

Derek
Other then the book format being different (BBeB vs Mobi) and the screen being Vizplex, what is better about the Gen3 then the PRS500?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #94
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Other then the book format being different (BBeB vs Mobi) and the screen being Vizplex, what is better about the Gen3 then the PRS500?
I like the simplified, cleaner interface with fewer buttons. The Sony just looks so busy and intimidating. Whereas the Cybook looks like something you can just pick up and start reading with. This helps, because I usually end up proselytizing neat technology to friends and family.

With the faster Vizplex screen, I'm surprised Sony didn't do away with the 1-10 buttons for the PRS-505 in favor of arrowing around.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I like the simplified, cleaner interface with fewer buttons. The Sony just looks so busy and intimidating. Whereas the Cybook looks like something you can just pick up and start reading with. This helps, because I usually end up proselytizing neat technology to friends and family.

With the faster Vizplex screen, I'm surprised Sony didn't do away with the 1-10 buttons for the PRS-505 in favor of arrowing around.
If I am at menu item #1, I can just pres 9 and go right to it without having to down down down down down down down down enter. That makes it fairly easy to navigate the menus.
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #96
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Both interfaces have avantages and drawbacks, and when the PRS-505 will
be out it will be the main difference between the gen3 and the reader
(that, and the price in favor of the reader).

Ok, the Cybook can read Mobipocket files but the mobi drm has been
cracked, so...
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Both interfaces have avantages and drawbacks, and when the PRS-505 will
be out it will be the main difference between the gen3 and the reader
(that, and the price in favor of the reader).

Ok, the Cybook can read Mobipocket files but the mobi drm has been
cracked, so...
And so has LIT. So there now just as much source material for the Sony as the Cybook as far as DRM free material goes as long as you are willing to convert.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:34 PM   #98
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Penty,

*WHICH* is a planned feature? Sleep/suspend mode? Battery-level indicator within an ebook? Changeable header content? Or all of the above?

Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by penty View Post
Read our notes delphidb96, that's a planned feature.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #99
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, *I* prefer the controls - I'm always bumping one of the 0-9 function keys on the PRS500. I prefer the ability to choose font families - and eventually be able to load my own. I prefer being able to choose from nine different font sizes - sometimes I don't have the booklight, nor my reading glasses, and being able to nudge up to just the right larger font size is a blessing. I prefer the noticeably lighter weight. I'm going to rummage around for the food scale so I'll be able to tell you the exact weight difference.

And as I learn more about it and updates come my way, I'll point out more. I'm taking notes right now...

Derek

Quote:
Old 09-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

With the goto page function within a book, I no longer have the bump the number button and go to some other page as an issue.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #101
delphidb96
Wizard

Good point. As I said, I've left my Sony 'stock'. Mom doesn't like these 'upgrades' - wouldn't even *consider* letting me add them - and it's going to be her device now that I have the Cybook.

Derek

Quote:
With the goto page function within a book, I no longer have the bump the number button and go to some other page as an issue.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #102
delphidb96
Wizard

Yet another image I snapped while waiting for my photofloods. This is a shot of the Cybook displaying a page of the graphic novel "Roswell, Texas", which can be found at BigHead Press ( www.bigheadpress.com )

Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 09-21-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:06 AM   #103
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Derek,

The Cybook appears to have two buttons on the right side and four buttons on the left. What are their functions?

Susan
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 AM   #104
delphidb96
Wizard

Susgod,

On the front is the wonderful jogwheel/compass/navigator, AKA the main directional pad.

On the left edge are four function buttons. From the top, they are:

Audio Center (also F1)
Contextual Menu (also F2)
Back (also F3)
Delete (also F4)

On the right edge are two function buttons. From the top, they are:

Volume Up
Volume Down

The top edge has one SD card slot and one button. The button is Power.

The bottom edge has a rubber gasket covering the USB port and the earphone connector port.

Hope this helps.

Derek

De
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSGOD View Post
Derek,

The Cybook appears to have two buttons on the right side and four buttons on the left. What are their functions?

Susan
Old 09-18-2007, 03:43 AM   #105
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Derek,

How do you navigate within a book on the CyBook? Is there a "goto page X" facility? As you may know, on the "standard" MobiPocket Reader there's a progress bar that one can simply tap with the mouse or stylus to move to that position. How is it done on this machine?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote