Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Where do you buy your books?

New question for you all.

Where do you buy your ebooks? I know about Kindle, of course, and thanks to you, I've learned about Mobipocket ebooks. Fictionwise is pretty cheeky...they want TEN published works before they'll even consider carrying an author's backlist. Nothing for a shortstory writer, but for a novelist...sheesh, Tolkein wouldn't qualify under their standards!

And they want exclusive rights for five years. Sheesh.

Anyway...do any of you buy directly from authors? And if so, could you give some examples so I can check them out?

And do any online stores other than Kindle carry original work? They all seem interested only in NY's output.

(I love this little blue guy...)
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
Anyway...do any of you buy directly from authors? And if so, could you give some examples so I can check them out?
I have purchase/read books from three authors that sell online directly. Two of them are members here. Also, I have read books from another author who has made some of his back catalog available for free download.

Check out the Wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-bo...#Authors_Sites

(I see that Fable publishers is missing from the Wiki. Someone should add it.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
New question for you all.

Where do you buy your ebooks? I know about Kindle, of course, and thanks to you, I've learned about Mobipocket ebooks. Fictionwise is pretty cheeky...they want TEN published works before they'll even consider carrying an author's backlist. Nothing for a shortstory writer, but for a novelist...sheesh, Tolkein wouldn't qualify under their standards!

And they want exclusive rights for five years. Sheesh.

And do any online stores other than Kindle carry original work? They all seem interested only in NY's output.

(I love this little blue guy...)
Hmm. Fictionwise may be talking through their hat. Many Baen books are ALSO on sale at Fictionwise, because Baen licenses a non-exclusive right. So they ARE willing to accept non-exclusive work, at least if you're big enough.

I don't know what Webscriptions requires to offer your books through their service, but at least a couple of smaller publishers are beginning to release packages through Webscriptions (which is the actual name of the store that Baen sells through.) for example, Sharon Lee put all? (most?) of her work up as well as the Lee and Miller co-authored stuff, including work that had previously been on sale at Embiid (which went broke more than a year ago.)

Sale from your personal website gives you lots of control and options, but also lots of obscurity. You can easily reach people from this forum, or any other forum which you take the time to talk to, but a larger site such as Fictionwise might give you more advertising reach.

Another note-taking opportunity: Lots of publishers provide free copies of books at conventions. Could you set up a system to give away e-versions, perhaps via a printed code in the program book, or on coupons given away with the con's check-in package? I know that every book I've received as part of my bag at NorWesCon has had at least the first chapter read (unless I've already read it elsewhere.)
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Besides FIctionwise and Baen, you should check out Steve Jordan. His books are great. I am fond of his one noir work, although his SciFi is top notch. He sells direct from his web site and through Amazon for the Kindle. Good prices either way.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:27 AM   #5
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
I like Richard Herley's books a lot.
http://www.richardherley.com/bookspage.html
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
I buy from Fictionwise, mostly.

However, I have bought and otherwise downloaded occasional books directly from the author. I'm currently enjoying Jonathan Feinstein's Downtime series...

http://www.sc2.com/e-books/

Possibly not what you're looking for in a business model, since he is giving away the ebooks in order to promote the dead tree versions; however, his nominated charities are going to do very well out of me.
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I buy exclusively from Amazon. I've got a Kindle... but even so. I've never found anything at the other places that I've wanted that was not at the Amazon store and for cheaper.

I do most my real book shopping there, too.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I buy most of my books directly from Sony, but once in a great while I will purchase directly from an author, if they have the book in LRF.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
akwant
closed
akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.akwant has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: ---
Well, I’m starting my adventure into eBooks these days, so I’ve got limited experience. Still, I’ve bought some books from Books on Board and Fictionwise.
And I’m chasing any freebies I can get
akwant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've bought eBooks recently at BooksOnBoard, Fictionwise, & CyberRead. I purchase is MS Reader format when possible and Mobipocket if not. I can remove the DRM and easily convert to HTML and LRF. So I buy in formats where I can keep what I purchase long past the life of my 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
I buy from Fictionwise and Amazon. When buying from Amazon, I only buy non-Topaz formatted books. I usually buy mobi format from fictionwise and do a batchfile mass drm strip. I buy LIT as my second choice if mobi is not available.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I buy most of my books directly from Sony, but once in a great while I will purchase directly from an author, if they have the book in LRF.
Unfortunately, it looks like Sony has made it difficult for
my hubby to get me bookstore credit (he has to download
the sony ebook software to be able to buy a gift certificate
for me.. that's a PITA) so it looks like I'll be buying ebooks
from booksonboard or fictionwise.

I did add Powells to my bookmarks as they offer gift cards,
ebooks (plus pbooks) and looks like a good selection, too.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hmm. It sounds like there could be some demand for a Web 2.0-y site which did all the hard work of letting independent authors sell books? Add some social feedback mechanisms for letting the cream rise to the top, and maybe autoconversion from clean sources, and free download of first-chapter excerpts. So kind of like feedbooks, but with the books for sale.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
Unfortunately, it looks like Sony has made it difficult for
my hubby to get me bookstore credit (he has to download
the sony ebook software to be able to buy a gift certificate
for me.. that's a PITA) so it looks like I'll be buying ebooks
from booksonboard or fictionwise.

I did add Powells to my bookmarks as they offer gift cards,
ebooks (plus pbooks) and looks like a good selection, too.
He doesn't need to get you a GC that way, they are also available at Target and Borders, FYI.

Works well for me though, since my mom has a Reader too (you bet I told her about sending me gift cards)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
He doesn't need to get you a GC that way, they are also available at Target and Borders, FYI.

Works well for me though, since my mom has a Reader too (you bet I told her about sending me gift cards)
oh thank you, Lilac!
No Borders near me but we do have Target.
(and we go there a lot..hehe)

I'll be sure to tell hubby! whoohoo!
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote