Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2024, 09:53 PM   #1
mrfakename
Developer
mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G (Keyboard), Used
Complete Beginner: KTerm Not Working on Kindle Paperwhite 3

Hi,
I'm a complete beginner and I'm trying to SSH into my jailbroken Kindle. I've installed KUAL, and downloaded the Kterm extension into my extensions folder.

When I go to KUAL and click the "Kterm" button it exits KUAL but nothing happens.

Here is the contents of my "kterm" folder inside the "extensions" folder:

Code:
├── bin
│** ├── kterm
│** ├── kterm.conf
│** └── kterm.sh
├── config.xml
├── layouts
│** ├── img
│** │** ├── alt.png
│** │** ├── back.png
│** │** ├── capslk.png
│** │** ├── ctrl.png
│** │** ├── del.png
│** │** ├── down.png
│** │** ├── end.png
│** │** ├── esc.png
│** │** ├── f1.png
│** │** ├── f10.png
│** │** ├── f11.png
│** │** ├── f12.png
│** │** ├── f2.png
│** │** ├── f3.png
│** │** ├── f4.png
│** │** ├── f5.png
│** │** ├── f6.png
│** │** ├── f7.png
│** │** ├── f8.png
│** │** ├── f9.png
│** │** ├── home.png
│** │** ├── left.png
│** │** ├── pgdn.png
│** │** ├── pgup.png
│** │** ├── return.png
│** │** ├── right.png
│** │** ├── shift.png
│** │** ├── sym1.png
│** │** ├── sym2.png
│** │** ├── tab.png
│** │** └── up.png
│** ├── img-200dpi
│** │** ├── alt.png
│** │** ├── back.png
│** │** ├── capslk.png
│** │** ├── ctrl.png
│** │** ├── del.png
│** │** ├── down.png
│** │** ├── end.png
│** │** ├── esc.png
│** │** ├── f1.png
│** │** ├── f10.png
│** │** ├── f11.png
│** │** ├── f12.png
│** │** ├── f2.png
│** │** ├── f3.png
│** │** ├── f4.png
│** │** ├── f5.png
│** │** ├── f6.png
│** │** ├── f7.png
│** │** ├── f8.png
│** │** ├── f9.png
│** │** ├── home.png
│** │** ├── left.png
│** │** ├── pgdn.png
│** │** ├── pgup.png
│** │** ├── return.png
│** │** ├── right.png
│** │** ├── shift.png
│** │** ├── sym1.png
│** │** ├── sym2.png
│** │** ├── tab.png
│** │** └── up.png
│** ├── img-300dpi
│** │** ├── alt.png
│** │** ├── back.png
│** │** ├── capslk.png
│** │** ├── ctrl.png
│** │** ├── del.png
│** │** ├── down.png
│** │** ├── end.png
│** │** ├── esc.png
│** │** ├── f1.png
│** │** ├── f10.png
│** │** ├── f11.png
│** │** ├── f12.png
│** │** ├── f2.png
│** │** ├── f3.png
│** │** ├── f4.png
│** │** ├── f5.png
│** │** ├── f6.png
│** │** ├── f7.png
│** │** ├── f8.png
│** │** ├── f9.png
│** │** ├── home.png
│** │** ├── left.png
│** │** ├── pgdn.png
│** │** ├── pgup.png
│** │** ├── return.png
│** │** ├── right.png
│** │** ├── shift.png
│** │** ├── sym1.png
│** │** ├── sym2.png
│** │** ├── tab.png
│** │** └── up.png
│** ├── keyboard-200dpi.xml
│** ├── keyboard-300dpi.xml
│** └── keyboard.xml
├── menu.json
└── vte
    ├── termcap-0.0
    │** └── xterm
    └── terminfo
        ├── a
        │** └── ansi
        ├── d
        │** └── dumb
        ├── l
        │** └── linux
        ├── r
        │** ├── rxvt
        │** └── rxvt-unicode
        ├── s
        │** ├── screen
        │** └── sun
        ├── v
        │** ├── vt100
        │** ├── vt102
        │** ├── vt200
        │** ├── vt220
        │** └── vt52
        └── x
            ├── xterm
            ├── xterm-256color
            ├── xterm-color
            └── xterm-xfree86
Thank you in advance!
mrfakename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 01:12 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I've never installed kterm, so I can't help with that. But it would only make sense to use it to ssh from your kindle to somewhere else.

To ssh into your kindle you need to install USBnetworking onto the kindle and an ssh client onto your computer. You have not said what its OS is.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 02:18 PM   #3
mrfakename
Developer
mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.mrfakename is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Hi, thank you for your assistance. I’m using the latest version of macOS. I saw a USBNetworking tutorial for an older version of macOS but the settings used in that tutorial are missing on my version.

Do you know if it’s possible now to do it on macOS or should I install a Linux VM?
Old 01-04-2024, 03:47 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfakename View Post
Hi, thank you for your assistance. I’m using the latest version of macOS. I saw a USBNetworking tutorial for an older version of macOS but the settings used in that tutorial are missing on my version.

Do you know if it’s possible now to do it on macOS or should I install a Linux VM?
It should be possible with macOS, but someone else will have to help you.

A linux VM might work, but it would add another layer of complexity dealing with the USB port.

To some extent the fact that you are connecting to a kindle doesn't matter much on the macOS side, so a web search for setting up USB networking on macOS might turn up useful information. (But the USB network IP addresses on the kindle and macOS need to be compatible.)
Old 01-04-2024, 04:24 PM   #5
mrfakename
Developer

Hi,
I’ve tried looking online for guides to SSH into a USB device using macOS, however none of them worked. I tried ssh (no response from the Kindle), telnet (it connected but I couldn’t run anything), etc.
Advert
Old 01-04-2024, 04:36 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

You probably need to search on USB networking and macOS. ssh is just one applictation, what matters is that a USB network has been configured and is brought up automatically or manually when a jailbroken kindle with USBnetworking is connected. If ssh is already installed on the mac, it is pretty easy from there, if you have followed the kindle instructions and set up an encryption key pair. The latter is a general topic and can be researched independent of the kindle but possibly with some mac specifics.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:19 AM   #7
Dumbouser
Dumbouser began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Sorry to jihack your thread, but I've got a PW3 also. I was wondering what firmware you were on and how you jailbroke it. I'm on 5.15.2.1.1 and using language break but cannot seem to get mkk to appear or anything Im stuck. Thank you for any help!
Dumbouser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kterm, kual