Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2022, 05:00 PM   #1
Shining One
Shining One began at the beginning.

Device: KOA3
MRPI Won't Launch

It's been a while since I've purchased and rooted a Kindle, so my rust is showing. I have a Kindle Oasis 10th Gen (Serial G000 WM...) running firmware 5.14.1 (3776410030).

I completed the WatchThis root, which went smoothly except for the noted Application Error on Jailbreak Step 8. I then installed the JB Hotfix, which also went fine.

I copied the kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r18896.tar.xz file to Kindle and extracted it there per instructions. I then attempted to install KUAL (coplate) with ;log mrpi, which didn't do anything as expected with this firmware. I installed it using the Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_e3deabf_install.bin file with Update Your Kindle, which appears to have worked.

Whenever I launch KUAL, go to Helper, and choose Install MR Packages, I see "Initializing the MR Launcher" briefly at the bottom and then I'm brought back to the home screen. Here's the output from the KUAL log file:
Code:
/tmp/klauncher_background-8305569340898108741.sh: line 2: ./bin/mrinstaller.sh: not found
I checked the path indicated and the mrinstaller.sh file appears to be in the right place. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleFiles.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	195892  
Shining One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:50 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
What were you trying to install?

Did you extract it into the extensions directory first? (Which is usualy enough without even having to do an install from KUAL.)
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2022, 01:59 AM   #3
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
I think I used "Update_KUALBooklet_e3deabf_install.bin".

Here was how I do after JB with the WatchThis JB on my Oasis 3.

----
copy 'extensions' and 'mrpackages' folders
from .\Downloads\kindle\kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r18896.tar\kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r18896
to E:\

copy Update_KUALBooklet_e3deabf_install.bin
from .\Downloads\kindle\KUAL-e3deabf-20220213.tar\KUAL-e3deabf-20220213
to E:\mrpackages

Home screen, search box enter ";log mrpi" to MRPI to install KUAL

wait

KUAL book appeared.
---
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
Shining One

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
What were you trying to install?
I was trying to install Python and the Screensavers Hack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Did you extract it into the extensions directory first? (Which is usualy enough without even having to do an install from KUAL.)
I wasn't aware this was an option. Are you saying I should just extract kindle-python-0.15.N-r18870.tar.xz and kindle-linkss-0.25.N-r18870.tar.xz directly into the extensions directory? Are there any other steps involved?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
Home screen, search box enter ";log mrpi" to MRPI to install KUAL

wait

KUAL book appeared.
This didn't work for me. ;log mrpi just brought me back to home. I followed this note at the end of the KUAL section of the tutorial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
NOTE: If, despite the many earlier warnings, you're currently running FW >= 5.12.2, things get a little dicey: ;log may be gone. Instead, in the "Booklet (coplate)" archive, you'll find an Update_KUALBooklet_hotfix_*_install.bin install package, which you'll have to install via UYK (like the JB Hotfix earlier).
Old 08-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #5
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining One View Post
Are you saying I should just extract kindle-python-0.15.N-r18870.tar.xz and kindle-linkss-0.25.N-r18870.tar.xz directly into the extensions directory?
You seem not to have a good grasp of what goes where & what does what job.

"extensions" directory is the place for KUAL extension files. Python and ScreenSaver hack aren't KUAL extensions (SS hack does add a KUAL extension that is used to configure it, but that job is done by bin installer not the end user).

"mrpackages" directory is the place where you put stuff that is packaged as update_whatever.bin installer file.

MRPI/MR Package Installer is a script / program (that is packaged as a KUAL extension) used to install MobileRead's custom, hacky stuff packaged into update_whatever.bin. When started (via ';log mrpi' shortcut thing or from KUAL once you have KUAL installed) it check the content of that "mrpackages" directory and finds all you update_*.bin files that you put there if there is any and starts installing them.
So any .bin installer other than the official firmware updates downloaded from Amazon's website and "hotfix" package are to be copied over to that "mrpackages" directory on the Kindle device and installed by using MRPI. Those two exceptions (official Amazon installers and specialy packaged "hotfix") I've just mentioned are installed using "Update your Kindle" option in Kindle UI.

If you copy your python hack and the rest into the wrong place (like "extensions" directory ) of course doing ';log mrpi' will not install them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shining One
I copied the kual-mrinstaller-1.7.N-r18896.tar.xz file to Kindle and extracted it there per instructions.
Then you didn't understand the instructions. You don't need and shouldn't copy over to Kindle those archive files (be they .tar.xz, zip. rar, .7z). You should extract them on your computer and transfer only the (part of) contents that is needed for your device: in case of hacks that are packaged into .bin installer file from the whole archive content you in most cases only need and use one file. As in you would copy only bin file that has "install" in its filename not copy it and also the one with "uninstall" in its filename
In case of python package you use two bin files: one for python 2 and one for python 3. In case of say KUAL you would use "Update_KUALBooklet_e3deabf_install.bin". Hacks such as that python one have multiple installer packages that target different Kindle devices where common cut off is model before PW2 or after PW2.

Last edited by shamanNS; 08-16-2022 at 04:44 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2022, 05:31 PM   #6
Shining One

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
You seem not to have a good grasp of what goes where & what does what job.

"extensions" directory is the place for KUAL extension files. Python and ScreenSaver hack aren't KUAL extensions (SS hack does add a KUAL extension that is used to configure it, but that job is done by bin installer not the end user).

"mrpackages" directory is the place where you put stuff that is packaged as update_whatever.bin installer file.

MRPI/MR Package Installer is a script / program (that is packaged as a KUAL extension) used to install MobileRead's custom, hacky stuff packaged into update_whatever.bin. When started (via ';log mrpi' shortcut thing or from KUAL once you have KUAL installed) it check the content of that "mrpackages" directory and finds all you update_*.bin files that you put there if there is any and starts installing them.
So any .bin installer other than the official firmware updates downloaded from Amazon's website and "hotfix" package are to be copied over to that "mrpackages" directory on the Kindle device and installed by using MRPI. Those two exceptions (official Amazon installers and specialy packaged "hotfix") I've just mentioned are installed using "Update your Kindle" option in Kindle UI.

If you copy your python hack and the rest into the wrong place (like "extensions" directory ) of course doing ';log mrpi' will not install them.
I haven't extracted these files onto the Kindle extensions folder. I thought that's what someone else was suggesting above, hence why I asked for clarification. What I did do was place the two .BIN files in the mrpackages folder and tried to go KUAL -> Helper -> Install MR Packages. That's when I experienced the issue indicated in my first post.
Quote:
Then you didn't understand the instructions. You don't need and shouldn't copy over to Kindle those archive files (be they .tar.xz, zip. rar, .7z). You should extract them on your computer and transfer only the (part of) contents that is needed for your device: in case of hacks that are packaged into .bin installer file from the whole archive content you in most cases only need and use one file. As in you would copy only bin file that has "install" in its filename not copy it and also the one with "uninstall" in its filename
In case of python package you use two bin files: one for python 2 and one for python 3. In case of say KUAL you would use "Update_KUALBooklet_e3deabf_install.bin". Hacks such as that python one have multiple installer packages that target different Kindle devices where common cut off is model before PW2 or after PW2.
The instructions for installing MRPI (referenced below) said to unpack the package to the root directory of the Kindle. I copied the archive to the Kindle root directory, extracted it there, then deleted the archive. Does it make a difference if I extract it locally to my PC and just copy the output directories/files to the Kindle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
This is a KUAL extension, so it's as simple as unpacking the MRPI package you'll find in the Snapshots thread to the root directory of your Kindle over USB . You should end up with an extensions folder (with an MRInstaller subfolder) and an mrpackages folder at the USB root of your device.
As mentioned earlier, it'll plug into the Helper menu.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:15 PM   #7
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
It shouldn't make a difference (in case of mrpi archive at least, since it doesn't contain any unnecessary files and directories).

Since at least you have KUAL installed maybe you could try "installing" kterm (it is a KUAL extension, Terminal emulator app) and try manually executing that mrinstaller.sh script?

Last edited by shamanNS; 08-16-2022 at 09:22 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:44 PM   #8
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Shining One. I don't want to debate or point out what you missed. But I just shared my detailed activities on what I did (and it's worked!), and hope that you can follow.

Jailbreak and Hacking generally are not trivial tasks, sometimes instructions were not verbose, and maybe not be up-to-date. You need to do some research. For me, I always write down exactly what I did, so I can backtrack step-by-steps on how I failed, then I try other approaches.

In short, if you are not ready to brick the device, don't try.

Last edited by tekkasit; 08-16-2022 at 09:52 PM.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:44 PM   #9
Shining One

Quote:
Since at least you have KUAL installed maybe you could try "installing" kterm (it is a KUAL extension, Terminal emulator app) and try manually executing that mrinstaller.sh script?
Thanks. I'll give this a shot when I get back in town next week.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:33 PM   #10
KaMyKaSii
KaMyKaSii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4 (PQ94WIF)
Post a screenshot of your Kindle root storage
KaMyKaSii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:37 PM   #11
Shining One

Quote: