View Poll Results: Jane Eyre ending?
I've read Jane Eyre and know the ending 26 68.42%
I haven't read Jane Eyre, but know the ending 2 5.26%
I don't know the ending to Jane Eyre. 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Jane Eyre ending?

In another threads, there is a discussion of how people know about the classics, in particular this one caught my eye:

Quote:
... Sure, most people probably know how Romeo & Juliet or Jane Eyre turned out....
I was wondering how true the above quote is (about Jane Eyre). I would guess that most people have heard the names of classics, but as far as plot or ending, I have my doubts.

So a poll.

Last edited by John F; 08-31-2021 at 12:19 PM.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:20 PM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I don't know the ending of Jane Eyre. I do know the ending of Romeo and Juliet.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Reader...I know the ending.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Didn’t most of us have to read JE in high school? (Or just my memory letting me down again? Lol)
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't read Jane Eyre until I was in my 30's. I don't remember much of what I read in middle school, just "The Pearl" which started my lifelong hatred of John Steinbeck.

I also remember a short story called "Lamb to the Slaughter." I had to look that one up, I couldn't remember the title.

I don't think I would appreciated Jane Eyre when I was a tween. For one thing it's not a quick read.
Advert
Old 08-31-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I read JE in my teens for the first time (in translation) and loved it. Read it several times later too. But it was not mandatory reading at school here.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I didn't know the ending until a day or two ago when I googled the "Reader" quote mentioned in the spoiler thread.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Didn’t most of us have to read JE in high school? (Or just my memory letting me down again? Lol)
When I was in high school my English class was given a list of classic books to choose from so not everyone read the same books. I did read this one at some point when I was young, though I don't think I read it for school.

I'm guessing that if we all could remember a list of the books we were required to read in school, we would not find any specific book that was read by everyone.

Last edited by 4691mls; 08-31-2021 at 04:15 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:25 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I only remember one instance where my high school English class was required to all read the same book, and I made such a fuss about whatever it was that the teacher gave me a dispensation and assigned me T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom instead. For which I remain grateful
Old 08-31-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post

I don't think I would appreciated Jane Eyre when I was a tween. For one thing it's not a quick read.
Yeah, I think I read it as a teenager and found it quite a slog. I reread it sometime when I was older and still didn't particularly enjoy it.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:28 PM   #11
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I only remember one instance where my high school English class was required to all read the same book, and I made such a fuss about whatever it was that the teacher gave me a dispensation and assigned me T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom instead. For which I remain grateful
I think my teacher probably thought it was easier to give us some choice so nobody would be stuck with something they absolutely hated. As I recall, the girls tended to choose more romantic books (like Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering Heights) while the boys were more likely to choose books that had to do with war or adventure.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:34 PM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I think my teacher probably thought it was easier to give us some choice so nobody would be stuck with something they absolutely hated. As I recall, the girls tended to choose more romantic books (like Pride and Prejudice or Wuthering Heights) while the boys were more likely to choose books that had to do with war or adventure.
Even though Lawrence's bio was very derring-do, the bit that really stuck with me even as a 15 year old and that I still quote frequently was his hilariously apt summary in the foreword on the value of transliteration.
Old 08-31-2021, 04:41 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I wonder if there are any men at all who have read Jane Eyre of their own free will and enjoyed it? IMO it's not the kind of book appealing to the male of the species, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:42 PM   #14
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I wonder if there are any men at all who have read Jane Eyre of their own free will and enjoyed it? IMO it's not the kind of book appealing to the male of the species, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Perhaps the fact that it was learning the very last line which piqued my interest suggests some males might not hate it?
Old 08-31-2021, 04:59 PM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard

I think my husband has read a bit of Jane Eyre. But his reading is so limited that long "hard" reads don't interest him much. But he loves the movie version with Toby Stephens, so he was curious about the book.

He has only been reading for pleasure for 11-12 years, so his reading interests are growing and changing. Getting a Kindle is what got him started. He is anxious for retirement so he will have more time for reading. Just 16 months to go.