Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #1
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Need a recommendation

I'm looking to get a small reader and have the opportunity to get a glo or an aura for cheap (I traded in an old Kindle and have some Amazon bucks). Anyway, between these two, which would you recommend? I have OCD so more even lighting is better for my psychosis.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:45 PM   #2
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I'm looking to get a small reader and have the opportunity to get a glo or an aura for cheap (I traded in an old Kindle and have some Amazon bucks). Anyway, between these two, which would you recommend? I have OCD so more even lighting is better for my psychosis.
Get the Aura
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Both are likely to have reasonably even but not perfectly even lighting, though without seeing the particular devices it's hard to say. Kobos tend not to have the colour gradients of some of the frontlit Kindles, however. Both are pretty old tech now (unless you're actually talking about a Glo HD, or an Aura H2O or Aura One or similar).

One of the key points of difference is that the Aura light goes down a fair bit dimmer than the Glo, so if you read in very dim lighting it would be preferable. The Aura is a little smaller for the same screen size, and has a capacitive flush screen and two-finger light brightness swipe control. Glo has a raised bezel and IR touchscreen, which can better if you tend to fat-finger the screen while holding a flush device, or if you are frequently in weather cold enough for gloves and don't want to get capacitive touch gloves. Many people also find the Aura screen to be a little murkier than the Glo.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I just picked up a glo HD really like it for a 6" reader...

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I will head down the Aura path. Older tech doesn't bother me much as we're taking about reading books.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I will head down the Aura path. Older tech doesn't bother me much as we're taking about reading books.
The newer devices can tend to have more even lighting, which is why I mentioned it. You won't know for sure if it's good enough for you, though, until you have the device in hand. Have you had a good look at some Youtube videos?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #7
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:

a very wise choice.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Just a comment, the Aura seems to be the Kobo device that generates the most diverse reactions. People either love it, or hate it. The love it crowd like the flush screen and the capacitive touch. The hate it crowd hate it for, well, the flush screen and the capacitive touch. Plus, the screen is reported as not quite a sharp as the Glo.

I can't comment on the Aura as I have never used one outside of a shop. The Glo was an excellent device and I used one for over two years until the light stopped working. Other than that, it is still fine, just not as good as the newer devices. My wife is still using one with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:37 AM   #9
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
If you really want small buy Kobo Mini 5 inch reader from ebay. No light.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just a comment, the Aura seems to be the Kobo device that generates the most diverse reactions. People either love it, or hate it. The love it crowd like the flush screen and the capacitive touch. The hate it crowd hate it for, well, the flush screen and the capacitive touch. Plus, the screen is reported as not quite a sharp as the Glo.

I can't comment on the Aura as I have never used one outside of a shop. The Glo was an excellent device and I used one for over two years until the light stopped working. Other than that, it is still fine, just not as good as the newer devices. My wife is still using one with no problems.
I'm one of those who love it because of the flush screen - I hated the sight of dust particles in the little IR screen gap. For me, the capacitative screen works very well and I love the Aura. However, if I had to choose a new reader now, I'd buy a Glo HD (for the added DPI, it seems better for PDF viewing (I have some comic book PDF's that I'd like to be able to read on my e-reader, but the current resolution doesn't cut it)
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote