Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-31-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
F0ggy
F0ggy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura/XCSoar
Kobo Aura non-HD sd-img

Looks like I have bricked my Kobo Aura (non-HD) building a GPS enabled XCSoar flight computer. http://www.stefanocottafavi.com/run-xcsoar-kobo-aura/

I was smart enough to not make a fresh image before beginning...

I have seen lots of posts with successful image swaps on this form but none for the Kobo Aura (non-HD).

Does the GLO or Aura HD have the same img? I would greatly appreciate someone sharing their Aura non-HD image!

Thanks in advance.
F0ggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:12 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If I remember correctly, the Aura does NOT have an internal SD card; only flash memory. This unfortunately means no means to restore the image.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2015, 02:45 AM   #3
F0ggy

Correct but I was hoping there would be a way to reinstall via the external SD card?
Old 10-31-2015, 03:40 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Not that anyone knows of. Or at least not from a bricked device. The Kobo devices don't boot from the external card. From memory, there is a mod to allow this but it has to be installed on a working device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
F0ggy

Thanks Daivd, I did a bit of a search but was unable to find information about Aura boot from SD... Any tips? I have another unit I am about to start modding and would like to be able to restore it with the fresh image I just made of the internal flash mem.

Edit: http://angor00.blogspot.ca/2014/02/b...nal-sd-on.html

If i am correct this should work? I will just replace the Android image with my backup or modified image? This way I could dual boot to the internal flash (unmodified original Kobo OS) or my modified XCsoar OS?

Last edited by F0ggy; 10-31-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Advert
Old 10-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be honest, I don't know. There is probably a way to do it if you can find an appropriate image for the SD card. But, you also need to modify something in the main memory to allow the alternate booting. How and what, I have no idea.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't know XCSoar, I guess you'd be better off discussing it in the XCSoar forums where people already have successfully done this for the Aura?

The Aura [lack of internal SD card] is not a good platform for modifications in general, and particularly dangerous for those that modify the boot loader / very early boot process itself. Basically you have one shot: if it works, great, if it bricks, game over. Unless someone finds a way to re-write the onboard flash by some other means even after everything else stopped working. Serial? JTAG? ...

Not sure if anyone has ever managed to recover a bricked Kobo Aura, the only JTAG related thing I found was something slightly different http://nahitafu.cocolog-nifty.com/na...jtag-5cd0.html http://nahitafu.cocolog-nifty.com/na...jtag-c64d.html

Would XCSoar run in the Linux environment provided by Kobo? If you could let Kobo boot into nickel first and only then kick-start your own software, it might be more forgiving to errors...

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-31-2015 at 09:07 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 PM   #8
F0ggy

I used USB Duplicator Image Creator to make a .img before this round of mods. Any ideas if I could write that .img back to the Kobo with USB Duplicator Image Writer safely? Or would it fail part way thru as it is overwriting files that are being used seeing as it is being transferred while Nickle is running?
Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0ggy View Post
I used USB Duplicator Image Creator to make a .img before this round of mods.
You made an image of all the memory of the Aura? How? This sounds like something that you use when the device is connected to a PC via USB. If so, only the user partition is presented to the PC, and that would be all I would expect to be in the image.
Quote:
Any ideas if I could write that .img back to the Kobo with USB Duplicator Image Writer safely? Or would it fail part way thru as it is overwriting files that are being used seeing as it is being transferred while Nickle is running?
If you have a full image, then Magic Memory Upgrade Mod might be a starting point. It is copying the current internal card to RAM, and then rewriting it after the card has been replaced. It should be possible to modify this to read an image from the SD card and write it to the internal memory. But, the risk is very high. If something goes wrong, the Aura would almost definitely be bricked beyond recovery.

Also, I had forgotten about that mod. With it, as it can write from the internal card to the external card, it should be possible to use this to create a backup of the internal memory of an Aura. Of course, restoring it will be the real problem.

And as frostschutz suggested, if you can use the supplied version of Linux, you will be a lot safer. If you can, you would probably be able to use KSM to start the XCSoar application and skip starting nickel.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:42 AM   #10
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And as frostschutz suggested, if you can use the supplied version of Linux, you will be a lot safer. If you can, you would probably be able to use KSM to start the XCSoar application and skip starting nickel.
It is possible to start XCSoar from KSM. But to make it real usable one would have to install the kernel provided by the XCSoar package, because of USB OTG. This part I did not test, since I do not have the gps hardware anyway (and I am not in the mood for troubles right now).

Is there a real need for dual booting? I guess my question is what the kernel provided by XCSoar is missing to be able to run nickel or KSM.

Edit: Finally, I tried the XCSoar kernel. KSM and nickel are running. There is only one problem. It seems I do not know how to change between usb host and slave mode. If I want to use my device as usb mass storage, or enable usb net, I have first to change to the original kobo kernel. BTW, since KSM is running under both kernels, switching between them is rather easy.

Last edited by tshering; 11-02-2015 at 10:02 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote