Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-14-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I finished my book....booohooo

Oh man, I need some sympathy here! I've got a few days off and yesterday I planted myself on the couch with John Scalzi's Old Man's war. I had never even heard of Scalzi so came to the book without any expectations or prejudices. I totally loved it. Every now and then a book finds you while you are in the perfect mood for just that book. It's as if the stars align, the book, your mood, even the shuffle on Windows Media Player all work in harmony, even enhance each other. Yesterday was such a glorious day...and then I finished the book.

Man I was all broken up about it. Still am. Haven't started a new book yet, normally I'm a chain reader and would have multiple books on the go. I can't yet, I'm stuck reading my photography magazines (I can't not read...). Do you guys ever have this experience, or am I just weird?
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:50 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yes, i know what you mean !! sometimes, when i am in reading a really great book, when i notice i'm getting near the end i deliberately try to read more slowly, to draw it out... and then at the last page i'm sort of sad and frustrated, because i wish it could go on forever.

but don't despair, i usually do end up finding a new book to read. sometimes i even find a *great* book to read.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Yeah, have started Shike. And it's good, but not the near-religious experience Old Man's War was. And that wasn't just the book, like I said it was just the perfect book for my mood at the time.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes, sometimes you just have a perfect day. but it's probably better if it happens rarely ; after all, if *every* day were perfect, you would stop appreciating it so much. right ?? (trying --possibly vainly-- to find some consolation in / justification for the fact that many many days are mediocre at best...)
Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
grimo1re
Geekette

Hear hear! Such wisdom can be found on internet fora...
Advert
Old 07-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Oh man, I need some sympathy here! I've got a few days off and yesterday I planted myself on the couch with John Scalzi's Old Man's war. I had never even heard of Scalzi so came to the book without any expectations or prejudices. I totally loved it. Every now and then a book finds you while you are in the perfect mood for just that book. It's as if the stars align, the book, your mood, even the shuffle on Windows Media Player all work in harmony, even enhance each other. Yesterday was such a glorious day...and then I finished the book.

Man I was all broken up about it. Still am. Haven't started a new book yet, normally I'm a chain reader and would have multiple books on the go. I can't yet, I'm stuck reading my photography magazines (I can't not read...). Do you guys ever have this experience, or am I just weird?
I understand completely. Sometimes it's hard to get your mind out of a story even when its over. On the bright side, there is a sequel to "Old Man's War" but not as an ebook, as far as I know. It's call " The Ghost Brigades". Although it is not (IMO) as good as the original, it is still pretty good and in a way has some more interesting parts.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Back before Xmas when I got my reader and the world changed, when I finished a book like that, quite often I would just start the book all over again and re-read it with "foreknowledge." Now, however, I'm drowning in books and don't have time to re-read. I spend last Friday getting all of my downloads organized and found, to my dismay, if not surprise, that there are 79 books in the "to be read" bookshelf. Promised myself to buy no more books until I read them, but already saw this morning a recommendation for one that I want.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I understand completely. Sometimes it's hard to get your mind out of a story even when its over. On the bright side, there is a sequel to "Old Man's War" but not as an ebook, as far as I know. It's call " The Ghost Brigades". Although it is not (IMO) as good as the original, it is still pretty good and in a way has some more interesting parts.
And a third book in the series as well, The Last Colony (also not available in ebook format yet).

(The Ghost Brigades is available for the Kindle via Amazon, but nowhere else at this point.)
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Amazon keeps recommending "old Man's War" to me because I have the "Lost Fleet" books on my Kindle. I really like them, so maybe that would be a next book while you're waiting.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Back before Xmas when I got my reader and the world changed, when I finished a book like that, quite often I would just start the book all over again and re-read it with "foreknowledge." Now, however, I'm drowning in books and don't have time to re-read. I spend last Friday getting all of my downloads organized and found, to my dismay, if not surprise, that there are 79 books in the "to be read" bookshelf. Promised myself to buy no more books until I read them, but already saw this morning a recommendation for one that I want.
Just 79. Consider yourself lucky. I haven't checked lately but it's at least double that.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My TBR (to be read) folders have gotten so large that on Saturday I was forced to partition the last space on my 120GB hard disk.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My TBR (to be read) folders have gotten so large that on Saturday I was forced to partition the last space on my 120GB hard disk.
*sigh* i know what you mean. i'm going to have to get a new hard drive pretty soon.

or i could stop looking in the ebooks section here. pff ! what am i saying ??? that's just crazy talk.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Why keep them on the hard disk?

I keep mine on DVDs (one DVD to use, and another DVD as a backup). It frees up disk space, and saves having to provide more disk storage - but maybe I'm missing something .
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel

well, personally, i keep them on my harddrive because since i have an eb1150 i must format everything to imp before i can read it. and i don't want to reformat all the books at once, because that would take... probably years, at this point. so i do them as i want to read them. but in the meantime, i have the html / .txt / whatever files on the harddrive. if i'm going to archive them, i'd rather archive all the properly formatted ones, and leave the ones i have yet to redo. but i don't think i have a full dvd of formatted ones yet.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
well, personally, i keep them on my harddrive because since i have an eb1150 i must format everything to imp before i can read it. and i don't want to reformat all the books at once, because that would take... probably years, at this point. so i do them as i want to read them. but in the meantime, i have the html / .txt / whatever files on the harddrive. if i'm going to archive them, i'd rather archive all the properly formatted ones, and leave the ones i have yet to redo. but i don't think i have a full dvd of formatted ones yet.

That's what I did last week. Got everything together on one computer, then used the EBW Librarian and mobi2imp to make everything nice and pretty. Organized them into 2 categories: "Finished Reading" and "To Be Read." It is nicely organized now, and I can quickly sort them in different ways. BUT NOW... must make myself re-categorize the TBR's as "Finished" as I read, or else it will just be a big mess again.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote