Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 07:50 PM   #1261
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmmmmmm View Post
I had configured it to use the Aura H2O software, as it didn't support Clara HD and I read it was the most similar.
For conversion, I'd suggest using the Tablet output profile and Default input profile. Where did you find a Aura H2O in the calibre configuration?

Quote:
I managed to turn it off using the power button. Turned it back on. Repeated this a few times, tried the "reset" protocol as well.
Not sure what you mean by reset protocol? The Clara HD's manual factory reset protocol?

Is this the procedure you followed:
  1. Charge your ereader for a couple of hours -- you can leave it plugged in after the charging time.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to force your Clara HD to power off.
  3. If you unplugged your ereader in step 1, plug your Clara HD into a power source (your computer or an USB charger)
  4. Press and hold the power button for up to 30 seconds.
  5. Once you see the restoring screen, you can release the power button.

Please note that for the factory reset, your Clara HD must be connected to a USB power source (computer, wall wart, power bank, whatever).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #1262
hmmmmmmmm
hmmmmmmmm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For conversion, I'd suggest using the Tablet output profile and Default input profile. Where did you find a Aura H2O in the calibre configuration?

Not sure what you mean by reset protocol? The Clara HD's manual factory reset protocol?

Is this the procedure you followed:
  1. Charge your ereader for a couple of hours -- you can leave it plugged in after the charging time.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to force your Clara HD to power off.
  3. If you unplugged your ereader in step 1, plug your Clara HD into a power source (your computer or an USB charger)
  4. Press and hold the power button for up to 30 seconds.
  5. Once you see the restoring screen, you can release the power button.

Please note that for the factory reset, your Clara HD must be connected to a USB power source (computer, wall wart, power bank, whatever).
Thanks a lot, this worked. I figure I was doing something wrong.
hmmmmmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #1263
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good to hear it worked. Happy reading!
Old 07-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #1264
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hi, first post here, not sure if this is the correct thread.
I'm not sure if I bricked it or what.

Product: Clara HD
Firmware: Latest one, I think. OTA Update a few days ago.
Plugins: None
File types: epubs
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: all from calibre
On external SD: n/a
Steps to reproduce:

Battery was at ~85%. Intended to pass a few more books to the device using Calibre.
I had configured it to use the Aura H2O software, as it didn't support Clara HD and I read it was the most similar.

I got an error on Calibre when trying to send more books that stated:
"WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details"
I went with a suggestion I found online and:
"select "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option."
Calibre did not show any error. I then unplugged my device from the PC and it was frozen on the connected screen.

I managed to turn it off using the power button. Turned it back on. Repeated this a few times, tried the "reset" protocol as well.

Current result:
Turns on and off, I think. When turning on it flashes white/black/white/black/white and stays with the screen white and the LED at bottom blinking.
Workaround: n/a

Any help would be great, thanks a lot.
One solution is to download and install the current Calibre 4.20.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #1265
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One solution is to download and install the current Calibre 4.20.
Jon, I have to ask how updating calibre is going to help with his Clara HD issue?

Please read the entire message or, preferably the thread, before responding.

BTW, the suggested factory reset did clear up his issue.
Advert
Old 07-07-2020, 09:59 PM   #1266
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Jon, I have to ask how updating calibre is going to help with his Clara HD issue?
Well, considering a bad calibre config was responsible in the first place…

Quote:
Battery was at ~85%. Intended to pass a few more books to the device using Calibre.

"select "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option."
(Bolding mine, for emphasis.)

You catch that? The calibre installation didn’t support their Clara HD, so they told calibre to pretend it was an Aura H2O instead. Instead of working, that munged the database, which bricked the device until it could be reset. Therefore, it makes complete sense to upgrade to a version of calibre which can properly handle their device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB
Same to you.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:25 PM   #1267
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Well, considering a bad calibre config was responsible in the first place…

Quote:

(Bolding mine, for emphasis.)

You catch that? The calibre installation didn’t support their Clara HD, so they told calibre to pretend it was an Aura H2O instead. Instead of working, that munged the database, which bricked the device until it could be reset. Therefore, it makes complete sense to upgrade to a version of calibre which can properly handle their device.

Same to you.
To continue quoting from the original post:

Quote:
Calibre did not show any error. I then unplugged my device from the PC and it was frozen on the connected screen.

Current result:
Turns on and off, I think. When turning on it flashes white/black/white/black/white and stays with the screen white and the LED at bottom blinking.

Any help would be great, thanks a lot.
What he got was an error message about an issue with the version of the database on the Kobo. If he had any Kobo with 4.22.15190 firmware, he would have seen the same error message (database version 160, supported 159). There are no known issues with using the Attempt to support newer firmware option and firmware 4.22.15190. Ghod alone knows that has been posted multiple times every time a new Kobo firmware version comes out until calibre is updated to allow the new database version. If nothing else, a beta tester or two would be noticing the issue before the release. In terms of this discussion, a red herring.

What I suspect may have happened is that he unplugged his Clara HD without first safely ejecting it but that is only a suspicion.

The KoboTouch driver does not care what the device is as long as it is a recognized Kobo touchscreen model. The Kobo Utilities plugin can record the connected device but that is a different item and would only show a H2O if it was previously connected and added. Can you point out where you can select a Kobo H20 elsewhere in the calibre configuration? The only place it is mentioned that I could find is in the list of devices for the KoboTouch driver and even there the Clara HD is mentioned (v2.5.1) unless the Welcome wizard mentions it someplace.

So yes, Bob, I read the entire message and I gave a response that allowed him to return the Clara HD to being a working ereader. A response that suggested he should update his calibre version posted at 12:09PM after a message at 6:24AM stating the factory reset for the Clara HD had returned his Clara HD to working condition and my message at 9:35AM saying it was good to hear and happy reading was a useless waste of electrons and I will stand by that opinion.

'Nuff said.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-07-2020 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Edit: bolding is so much fun. Next more, strikethrough, underline and italic will be featured. ;D
Old 07-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #1268
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

BTW, the suggested factory reset did clear up his issue.
It's going to prevent the message about the firmware. The problem is that there are those that need hand holding to find the option in Calibre to allow the unsupported firmware to be supported. Updating to 4.20 will solve that without the need for any hand holding. If as you say, it could have been an unplug due to getting the message about the firmware, then the update will percent the message and allow the OP to use Calibre with his Kobo without fear of a problem with an unsupported firmware.

If you were not on MR and you receive that message from Calibre, what would you do?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #1269
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's going to prevent the message about the firmware. The problem is that there are those that need hand holding to find the option in Calibre to allow the unsupported firmware to be supported. Updating to 4.20 will solve that without the need for any hand holding. If as you say, it could have been an unplug due to getting the message about the firmware, then the update will percent the message and allow the OP to use Calibre with his Kobo without fear of a problem with an unsupported firmware.

If you were not on MR and you receive that message from Calibre, what would you do?
Umm... Jon, did you read the original message? I'm going to quote part if it with added bolding:

Quote:

Current result:
He had applied the workaround to avoid the database/firmware version message. After he unplugged his Clara HD, it was not responding. I supplied the Clara HD factory reset procedure and he tried it and responded that his Clara HD was now working.

Quote:
Could you please explain how updating calibre have helped to get his Clara HD back in service?

As for me personally? The first time I saw the message about updated firmware and database version, I tried checking the box for Attempt to support newer firmware as suggested in the on-screen message. Factory reset? Been there, done that rather often so no worries. It worked and I have never removed that check mark. One day, it may bite me in the butt but so far so good.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:37 PM   #1270
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Bug: I don't know if this has been posted on this thread before.
When I go to the overflow menu in the nickel book reader, and go to View Details, I find an option to remove the book. After doing so, instead of going to My Books, it goes to Articles from Pocket.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:24 AM   #1271
Loceka
Loceka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hello,

I just bought a Clara HD with firmware 4.22.15190 and I have noticed a few "bugs" or more like misfunctions and I wondered what was the best way to inform the kobo team ?

Here are the bugs:
- the text reader (.txt files) does not recognize UTF8 without BOM
- the text reader does not close the file when the last page is turned (it returns to the 1st one)
- the text reader font size is a lot smaller than the epub one for the same settings, which forces to adjust the font size each time we switch between text file and epub (there is a workaround by forcing the font size on each text file in the DB)

- on epubs, the page numbers are displayed over the text instead of in the margin, regardless of the margin size (only the rightmost digit is in the margin)

- [improvement] it would be nice to be able to see the full title (when it is truncated) in the book list and book manager by scrolling or pressing it

Thanks,
Loceka
Loceka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #1272
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loceka View Post

- on epubs, the page numbers are displayed over the text instead of in the margin, regardless of the margin size (only the rightmost digit is in the margin)
Check Reading Settings and turn off "Show Adobe EPUB page numbers"

Last edited by PeterT; 07-14-2020 at 10:00 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:40 AM   #1273
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
- [improvement] it would be nice to be able to see the full title (when it is truncated) in the book list and book manager by scrolling or pressing it
Long-press on the book and select "View Details". You will get to see the full title and other details.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #1274
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Hello,

I just bought a Clara HD with firmware 4.22.15190 and I have noticed a few "bugs" or more like misfunctions and I wondered what was the best way to inform the kobo team ?

Here are the bugs:
- the text reader (.txt files) does not recognize UTF8 without BOM
- the text reader does not close the file when the last page is turned (it returns to the 1st one)
- the text reader font size is a lot smaller than the epub one for the same settings, which forces to adjust the font size each time we switch between text file and epub (there is a workaround by forcing the font size on each text file in the DB)

Thanks,
Loceka
There is a mismatch between the two different reading software. RMSDK is used to read ePub and PDF and Access is used to read KePub and text files. There are patches that will synchronize the font sizes so Access will use the same size as RMSDK. It works well.

You'll need to look at the patch thread for 4.22.15190 in the Kobo Developer forum. Free free to ask questions about the patches in that thread.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:58 PM   #1275
Loceka
Loceka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Well thanks for all the answers!

As for the "View details" it requires 3 or 4 "clicks" to do it, which is a bit overkill just to see the full title.

I'll disable the page numbers and look at the patches then ^^
Still, the font size problem should be fixed by Kobo (along with the UTF8 auto-detection, which worked in the Kobo Glo btw)
Loceka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app