Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2019, 06:39 AM   #1216
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Device: a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
... as you are again treating me as an idiot ...
You have lost your calm and your reason. You continue to swear and you have reduced this forum to a pigsty.

Quote:
So important that the only screenshots you can find about the issue are the ones you posted.
How many do they need?

Quote:
So important that it is a topic that has rarely been discussed here.
How many times does it needs?

Quote:
So important that no-one seems to have reported the error in the standard paths as a bug.
What seems to you may not be the truth.

Quote:
There is no bad logic, the "problem" was removed in design.
Here everybody has understood that you are wrong. The logic is wrong. And kobo did wrong the design. Now stop responding if you only need to communicate your personal opinions or deliriously shout bad words.

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 11-17-2019 at 06:49 AM.
PenguinCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #1217
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can anyone name one other version of RMSDK that does not support a monospace font other then Kobo?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #1218
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can anyone name one other version of RMSDK that does not support a monospace font other then Kobo?
That isn't the question. And it definitely isn't the claim that you have been making. There is only one RMSDK (yes, there are multiple versions released over time, but, there is only one source for it). There are multiple devices or applications that use it. The monospace fonts are added by the device or app developers. Or they rely on the OS to supply the font.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:11 AM   #1219
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinCEO View Post
You have lost your calm and your reason. You continue to swear and you have reduced this forum to a pigsty.
Were have I sworn? Exactly how have I turned this forum into a pigsty? Please tell me as, while I am displeased with the way @Rev. Bob seems to be treating me, at no time have I sworn or used any other type of bad language. And honestly, I'm a lot more displeased with your attacks. If I was going to lose my calm and reason, or swear, it would be at you.

Quote:
How many do they need?

How many times does it needs?
You are the one trying to say how important this feature is. And yet, the only evidence that you have for this is your posts. I had a look at the posts in this forum, it has hardly been discussed. I had a look at my books, others have looked at their books. The number off books we can find that need this function is minuscule.

Then there are the absolutely huge number of people clamouring for Kobo to implement this. (And to be clear, there is no swearing in that statement, just some sarcasm.)

Most people will not have even noticed it was missing. That means it is not very important to many people. And if they were asked by Kobo whether to add a monospace font or some other function, they will probably not ask for the monospace font.
Quote:
What seems to you may not be the truth.
Yes, I believe that no-one had previously reported the error in the font path. Can you give me a reason why I'm wrong?
Quote:
Here everybody has understood that you are wrong. The logic is wrong.
That is impressive. There isn't any code to do something, so it is wrong. Now that is impressive logic.
Quote:
And kobo did wrong the design. Now stop responding if you only need to communicate your personal opinions or deliriously shout bad words.
I'm not allowed to express my opinion? I thought that was the point of a discussion. Or is it just when I disagree with you? I mean, everything you have posted above is your personal opinion. Especially where you are accusing me of using bad words, deliriously or not.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #1220
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
argumentum ad hominem: typically refers to a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

A technique generally beloved of those who do not have logic or facts on their side of the argument.

Quote:
Here everybody has understood that you are wrong. The logic is wrong. And kobo did wrong the design. Now stop responding if you only need to communicate your personal opinions or deliriously shout bad words.
Perhaps you could define a meaning of everyone where even one person disagreeing with you would not render your statement invalid?

I find it curious that you feel posting your personal opinion is valid but others are not permitted to post dissenting opinions. I would truly love to see a definition of "deliriously shout bad words" that would include the contents of any of davidfor's posts in any Mobileread forum.

If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell” —Carl Sandburg
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #1221
PenguinCEO
Member Retired
PenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipediaPenguinCEO knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
And yet, the only evidence that you have for this is your posts.
Do you say It's one evidence?. One evidence is enough.

Quote:
The number of books we can find that need this function is minuscule.
"Minuscule" is an opinion. The fact is that everyone who has looked into his own library for monospaced text has found some examples of it (you too). For the record I too have four technical books and one french novel using monospace.

Quote:
Most people will not have even noticed it was missing. That means it is not very important to many people.
"most people", "many people" and "not very important" are opinions. The fact is that monospaced text is not implemented.

Quote:
And if they were asked by Kobo whether to add a monospace font or some other function, they will probably not ask for the monospace font.
Now I could be sarcastic and mention the crystal ball in which you read that news, but I will not do.

Quote:
That is impressive. There isn't any code to do something, so it is wrong. Now that is impressive logic.
It is quite simple, free up your brain from coding and try to fly a bit higher. kobo offered me an epub-reader, that is an object that, according to the common way of thinking of the absolute majority of people, is a device destined to reproduce epub files. Epub in the sense understood by the majority of people (not only experts of xml, css and rmsdk), i.e. standard epub. Now if the device that was sold to me is not able to reproduce a standard epub, kobo cannot justify itself by saying that its secret project does not include the complete implementation of css. The sale is a contract, the contract must be interpreted according to good faith. The bona fide interpretation says that where the standard says that an epub-reader "should" provide monospaced fonts we must mean "must".
And if it does not, well, it's buggy, because if the project is buggy then also the software that perfectly implements that project is bugged.

(Incidentally: Out of the community of software developers there is no difference between "bug" and "deficiency". They are both errors that must be corrected.)

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 11-17-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:06 PM   #1222
PenguinCEO
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
querulous: Complaining in a rather petulant or whining manner. (Oxford dictionary)

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 11-17-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:28 PM   #1223
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Do you say It's one evidence?. One evidence is enough.
That the issue exists? Sure. But no one is denying that monospace fonts aren’t on kobo devices.

Quote:
"Minuscule" is an opinion. The fact is that everyone who has looked into his own library for monospaced text has found some examples of it (you too). For the record I too have four technical books and one french novel using monospace.
Oh please spare us the quibbling over minuscule being an opinion. Others have posted in your other thread that the books with monospace fonts at all makes up 0.01% of their library. That’s minuscule from the layman’s viewpoint as well as many others.

Quote:
"most people", "many people" and "not very important" are opinions. The fact is that monospaced text is not implemented.
And kobo is a company with limited resources. It doesn’t make sense to ignore say 1000 people asking for certain features in favor of 0.1 person asking for it (using the monospace in libraries statistics from above). Look even when you brought it up the overwhelming response is at best ‘technically this is a bug and kobo should probably fix it’ with exceptionally few saying it’s actually an important feature to them. Bob for all his prattling hasn’t even said it’s important to him that Kobo does anything just that his interpretation says they must (despite the specs he quotes literally contradicting him). You are the only one who seems to care personally about this being added.

[quote
Now I could be sarcastic and mention the crystal ball in which you read that news, but I will not do.
[/quote]

It doesn’t take a crystal ball. Though it likely requires more deductive skills than you’re willing to exercise. Kobo puts out updates on a fairly frequent basis they are open to feedback and have implemented changes requested by users as well as fixed bugs reported by users. That they haven’t added monospace would indicate few requests for it at best.

Quote:
It is quite simple, free up your brain from coding and try to fly a bit higher. kobo offered me an epub-reader, that is an object that, according to the common way of thinking of the absolute majority of people, is a device destined to reproduce epub files. Epub in the sense understood by the majority of people (not only experts of xml, css and rmsdk), i.e. a standard epub. Now if the device that was sold to me is not able to reproduce a standard epub, kobo cannot justify itself by saying that its secret project does not include the complete implementation of css. The sale is a contract, the contract must be interpreted according to good faith. The bona fide interpretation says that where the standard says that an epub-reader "should" provide monospaced fonts we must mean "must".
And if it does not, well, it's buggy, because if the project is buggy then also the software that perfectly implements that project is bugged.
I’ll put aside that you whined when minority was used and yet have no issues invoking majority.

Here’s another thing the majority of people don’t care about: monospaced fonts.

Quote:
(Incidentally: Out of the community of software developers there is no difference between "bug" and "deficiency". They are both errors that must be corrected.)
Luckily we’re not living in a world defined by a software developer. Words exist for a reason.

The product works as Kobo wants it to.

The product is deficient in the views of an incredibly small and commercially insignificant minority of their customers.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #1224
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Epub in the sense understood by the majority of people (not only experts of xml, css and rmsdk), i.e. standard epub. Now if the device that was sold to me is not able to reproduce a standard epub, kobo cannot justify itself by saying that its secret project does not include the complete implementation of css. The sale is a contract, the contract must be interpreted according to good faith. The bona fide interpretation says that where the standard says that an epub-reader "should" provide monospaced fonts we must mean "must".
Well, majority, majority.... Let's say that I seriously doubt that a lot of people know what a "standard epub" is. I really, really doubt majority of people know there is a standard. And "bona fide" modifying specs? Well, good luck with that (and yes, it's modifying the specs as all the previous discussion has been based on a gramatical point, difference between should and must).

And, additionally, I can imagine my reader friends' face if I ask them if they have been aware of the lack of a monospaced font. The first question will be: what is that?
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #1225
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
That isn't the question. And it definitely isn't the claim that you have been making. There is only one RMSDK (yes, there are multiple versions released over time, but, there is only one source for it). There are multiple devices or applications that use it. The monospace fonts are added by the device or app developers. Or they rely on the OS to supply the font.
Given that Sony used both Linux and Android and nook uses Android, if it is the OS supplying the font, then where is it in Kobo as it also runs Linux?

And as was pointed out, the code for monospace is n RMSDK. So if it's not part of RMSDK, why is the code there?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:11 PM   #1226
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
In this situation, I don’t think you correctly understand the context. Doesn’t make you an idiot, just not a specialist… and in this case, I am a specialist. Similarly, if my car breaks down, I’m damned near useless and have to employ a mechanic for anything more involved than adding fluids or changing wiper blades.
Quote:
Sorry Rev, but based on your responses, especially that first one, have been that you are of that opinion.
So, despite me explicitly telling you something, you choose not to believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
Is because they told me good enough?
By your own standards, clearly not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor
And to the mods, I'll stop after this post.
Not much point in me responding to the rest of your post, then… or any of the subsequent ones you made on the subject.

PenguinCEO’s right. You have lost your calm and your reason.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 PM   #1227
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
The fact is that everyone who has looked into his own library for monospaced text has found some examples of it (you too). For the record I too have four technical books and one french novel using monospace.
Monospace styling is fairly common in SF in general and the rendering of code, emails, or text messages in pretty much any genre. Great way to convey that something is being displayed on a device display.

And that doesn’t even get into programming manuals. Those positively love to use monospace to display properly-indented code samples.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #1228
PenguinCEO
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I am enchanted by your grace and your kindness in answering me, so accept a bouquet of roses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roses.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	174996

Quote:
Let's say that I seriously doubt that a lot of people know what a "standard epub" is.
You are right, this is a matter for specialists. But common sense is enough to understand what "correctly rendered document" means. I'm not a professor of surgery, but I know the difference between "feeling good" and "being sick".

Quote:
And, additionally, I can imagine my reader friends' face if I ask them if they have been aware of the lack of a monospaced font. The first question will be: what is that?
You are right. Your friends don't read computer books.Well, ask them "What is an epub-reader?". They will give you an acceptable answer. Then ask them "And what is the minimum that should be expected from an epub-reader?" Each of them will answer you with a round of words that, with good approximation, means "reproduce a standard epub in a standard way".

Computer books are books with full cultural and scientific dignity. You would not accept that your computer books were printed on waste paper just because they are fewer in number than fiction books. Indeed, you (and your friends) certainly expect that the major typographic complexities of your technical books are correctly returned by more accurate technical details. And if someone told you that this is a singular and elitist claim you would feel teased.

Attachment 174724

Similarly, it is not acceptable to be told that this is the "normal" way to reproduce a book. This result is far below the acceptable minimum (and your friends would agree with me).

Last edited by PenguinCEO; 11-18-2019 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #1229
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Two points:

Time to get back on topic. This is the bug report thread. Report a bug and move on. Further discussion of monospace should be taken to the dedicated thread. Any more comments about monospace in this thread will be deleted.

Stop playing "gotcha" and posting derogatory posts directed at other members. Further posts along those lines in this thread will also be deleted.

Last edited by issybird; 11-18-2019 at 08:32 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #1230
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
One more comment: Manners. Terms such as "pigsty" are not to be employed, and most especially from newbies with a handful of posts directed at a long-term and highly valued member. Several others need to dial it back. Thanks.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app