Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-17-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished HP7...

I know that I'm probably the last person in the world to do so, but I've just finished HP7. I bought the complete set of audiobooks of the series, and listened to them all in my car on my way to and from work; it's taken me just under two months to do so . I think that Stephen Fry, who narrates them, is absolutely wonderful. He has a distinct "voice" for each character - his "Voldemort" voice is particularly good!

I won't give away any spoilers to those who haven't read it yet, but I was just "blown away" by the ending to the series. Absolutely superb. I'm devastated that that's it - no more new HP to look forward to. Is life worth going on with?

If anyone thinks audiobooks aren't worth listening to, this is the series to get in that format. It's great - a real "performance" rather than merely a "reading"! There are two separate versions, the US version, narrated by Jim Dale, and the UK version done, as I say, by Stephen Fry. Personally I think that Mr. Fry is hugely better.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
when harry met harry, sounds like the start of a beautiful friendship
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2007, 10:30 AM   #3
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I love audio books. Especially on long drives. It almost makes it feel like you're not driving, but watching a movie.

When I don't remember parts of the trip, I start to get a bit worried though.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree, Adam. I have a 45 minute drive each way to and from work, so I have an hour and a half each day that's otherwise just wasted. I play my iPod through my car's audio system, and it's just perfect for audiobooks. For me it's not a substitute for reading - just a different "experience".

As you say, it's even better on long journeys, especially when you're alone. Keeps me awake and alert, and makes the time absolutely fly by.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I've never been able to get into audio books. I think it's because I read so quickly-- I get frustrated with the pace of the narrator. Sometimes I like stories I listen to on the radio, though. Maybe I should give them another try.

(I don't have so many long car trips these days, though, now that I've moved closer to work. But if I manage to start biking to work, as is my hope and plan, it will be about 30 minutes each way, so maybe an audio book would be a good idea....)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
fryandlaurie
fryandlaurie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
HarryT,

I liked the Harry Potter ending as well and I am glad that I stayed with the series to the end. Having listened to some of Stephen Fry's radio programs before, I can imagine that he would be perfectly suited as a narrator for the audio book. Perhaps I will give an audio edition of HP a try soon.

nekokami,

biking and listening to audio books is a dangerous combination. The earplugs and the voice of the narrator will blank out quite a bit of the surrounding environment making it more dangerous when you're in traffic.

I experimented with different volume levels and headphone/earplug combinations but in the end decided, that it wasn't worth it. Turning the sound volume down far enough so that I still felt enough awareness for traffic left the story immersion experience wanting (if that is proper English).

Jogging is different because you are much slower and can usually stay farther away from vehicle traffic than you can with a bike (at least if you want to go at bike speeds).

Then again I might be just overcautious and you would not consider it dangerous, at all.

fryandlaurie
fryandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
I haven't had a whole lot of experience with audiobooks. I've read the entire HP series, and developed mental "voices" for each of the characters. And now I'm listening to HP7 in audiobook format. Jim Dale's "voices" for the characters almost always sound nothing like the way they do in my imagination. It's very distracting.

I wonder if I'd prefer Stephen Fry's reading style better.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
fryandlaurie, I agree with you about the hazards of biking with earphones. I'm planning to add rear-view mirrors to my bike, but even then, I think it might be more of a risk than I want to take.

Besides, I enjoy the scenery, including the sounds, while biking. It's not "empty time" the way driving a car is.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I love audiobooks. I listen to them in the workshop with podcasts and podiobooks also. The dangerous part of my work in itself prevents me from losing concentration. The noise generated by the machines drowns out the audio. If I haven't paused before machining it's just a matter of going back. My computer is plugged to the shop sound system.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote