Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
0ripkindle
Enthusiast
0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter0ripkindle doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 (2012), Kindle Touch 4, Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021)
Is it possible to alter what goes in the clippings file?

I use the clippings file as my "notes" for every book I read on my kindle. It contains a lot of useful info but I have some gripes with it:

- No newlines : This means that anything I highlight gets squished down into one single line. No paragraph / line delineation at all.

- No chapter name / number

Is there any way to modify how the clippings file is written to?

Alternatively, is it possible to intercept what is given to the clippings file?

I am using the 2021 KPW, jailbroken.

Last edited by 0ripkindle; 06-12-2022 at 09:27 AM. Reason: fix formatting
0ripkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
kdusr
Connoisseur
kdusr began at the beginning.

Device: KOA, KV, KOA2,PW4,PW5
this tool can edit clippings file: click “open” button, choose “My Clippings”
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341123
kdusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #3
0ripkindle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdusr View Post
this tool can edit clippings file: click “open” button, choose “My Clippings”
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=341123
I don't want to edit the clippings file (I have a macro for converting it to a markup language). I need to control what attributes are added to the clippings file when some text is highlighted.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
Have you tried using KoReader? Koreader gives you a lot of control over how you export your highlights and notes. It includes the chapter name/number and new lines like you are looking for. And it gives you the option to output as html so it is beautifully formatted. I don't even use the native kindle reader anymore after using Koreader.
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 11:43 AM   #5
0ripkindle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
Have you tried using KoReader? Koreader gives you a lot of control over how you export your highlights and notes. It includes the chapter name/number and new lines like you are looking for. And it gives you the option to output as html so it is beautifully formatted. I don't even use the native kindle reader anymore after using Koreader.
Thank you. I tried KOReader but I don't quite like the way it displays text. Is it possible to change the font in KOReader?

IMO the way kindle displays books looks much better, KOReader looks a bit amateurish, a little rough around the edges, in the same way calibre (or really any "ebook reading software") does on a PC. Maybe it's because I've gotten used to how kindle shows ebooks, but I seriously think that Amazon nailed the rendering, apart from the restrictive line height and top/bottom margins.

Can't do anything about the margins but I convert all my books in calibre accordingly so I can have smaller line heights and support for much smaller font sizes.
Old 06-12-2022, 12:49 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
You could use KRDS https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322172 and bits and pieces from KindleUnpack https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61986 to extract highlights and notes from the contents of the azw3* files and the book itself. The highlighted text might have HTML embedded in it.

It would probably be quite a bit of work
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:11 PM   #7
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ripkindle View Post
Thank you. I tried KOReader but I don't quite like the way it displays text. Is it possible to change the font in KOReader?

IMO the way kindle displays books looks much better, KOReader looks a bit amateurish, a little rough around the edges, in the same way calibre (or really any "ebook reading software") does on a PC. Maybe it's because I've gotten used to how kindle shows ebooks, but I seriously think that Amazon nailed the rendering, apart from the restrictive line height and top/bottom margins.

Can't do anything about the margins but I convert all my books in calibre accordingly so I can have smaller line heights and support for much smaller font sizes.
You're right, koreader can look a little rough around the edges out of the box. It takes a little bit of time and effort to set it up to your preferences, but it is totally worth it. You can use custom fonts and fully customize just about everything you can imagine: margins, spacing, widows/orphans, word spacing, kerning, etc. You can even create custom css formatting on the fly. I recommend reading through the user manual and experimenting with it. After getting it set up to my liking, I'll never be able to go back to the stock reader!
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:45 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ripkindle View Post
Thank you. I tried KOReader but I don't quite like the way it displays text.
You mean better then the Kindle reading app displays text? But if you want KOReader to look more like the what the Kindle displays eBooks, you can by setting the margins and line height.

Quote:
Is it possible to change the font in KOReader?
Yes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:18 PM   #9
0ripkindle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
You could use KRDS https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=322172 and bits and pieces from KindleUnpack https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61986 to extract highlights and notes from the contents of the azw3* files and the book itself. The highlighted text might have HTML embedded in it.

It would probably be quite a bit of work
It does sound like a lot of work haha, but thanks for the links.
Old 06-12-2022, 05:21 PM   #10
0ripkindle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
You're right, koreader can look a little rough around the edges out of the box. It takes a little bit of time and effort to set it up to your preferences, but it is totally worth it. You can use custom fonts and fully customize just about everything you can imagine: margins, spacing, widows/orphans, word spacing, kerning, etc. You can even create custom css formatting on the fly. I recommend reading through the user manual and experimenting with it. After getting it set up to my liking, I'll never be able to go back to the stock reader!
Thank you, I'll try customizing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You mean better then the Kindle reading app displays text? But if you want KOReader to look more like the what the Kindle displays eBooks, you can by setting the margins and line height.

Yes.
I compared a azw3 file with a simple mobi file (was the only mobi file on my device, all others were azw3):
https://imgur.com/a/KQ7NW8S
Yeah, it does look like there's a fair bit of tinkering necessary but KOReader could look like the stock kindle reader.

Tags
clippings