Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Opening to current page

Ipad mini 5: I've asked this before, but it got buried without an answer. I cannot get Marvin to reopen to the page I was reading when I quit it. Marvin goes back one or two or ? pages and I have to look for my place. I thought it only did it in Landscape, but often it also does it in portrait. Bookmarking the page works, but then I have to go looking for the bookmark. It must be something I'm doing since so many people use it and don't apparently have that problem. Any help would be most appreciated.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:36 AM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Give this a try; it works on my iPad Mini-4:

In "General Settings" activate "Auto-bookmark on close".

When you are done with your reading session, tap the screen and use the "Red X" to get to Marvin's main screen. Then exit Marvin as you normally do.

This procedure consistently returns me to the correct page the next time I use Marvin. The Auto-bookmark is blue, not red.

If I don't "Red X" out of Marvin, I sometimes get the same problem you mentioned and am off a couple of pages. Don't know why this happens, but I live with it and use the Red-X work-around.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I know why this happens. This happens because Marvin has not been updated for iPadOS 13. Marvin is dead. Anything that doesn't work will not work. So once it stops working well enough, it's tme to move on to a different program. I have no idea if Marvin will have any more issues in iOS 14/iPadOS 14.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I had Auto-bookmark activated, but I don't close with the X. I'll start using that and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Give this a try; it works on my iPad Mini-4:

In "General Settings" activate "Auto-bookmark on close".

When you are done with your reading session, tap the screen and use the "Red X" to get to Marvin's main screen. Then exit Marvin as you normally do.

This procedure consistently returns me to the correct page the next time I use Marvin. The Auto-bookmark is blue, not red.

If I don't "Red X" out of Marvin, I sometimes get the same problem you mentioned and am off a couple of pages. Don't know why this happens, but I live with it and use the Red-X work-around.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:19 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Yes, but it is best for my way of reading. I've tried all the others anyone mentions and Mapleread SE came the closest, but it drives me crazy not to see the time in the header and trying to get the correct set showing takes me some time to figure out (putting books in sets and then getting them to show up). I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I so much prefer Marvin - so intuitive. If the getting to right page works with the X closing mentioned above, I'll keep using it until I can't anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know why this happens. This happens because Marvin has not been updated for iPadOS 13. Marvin is dead. Anything that doesn't work will not work. So once it stops working well enough, it's tme to move on to a different program. I have no idea if Marvin will have any more issues in iOS 14/iPadOS 14.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Yes, but it is best for my way of reading. I've tried all the others anyone mentions and Mapleread SE came the closest, but it drives me crazy not to see the time in the header and trying to get the correct set showing takes me some time to figure out (putting books in sets and then getting them to show up). I'm sure I'd get used to it, but I so much prefer Marvin - so intuitive. If the getting to right page works with the X closing mentioned above, I'll keep using it until I can't anymore.
I'm in the same boat - nothing comes close to Marvin for my needs.

Easy to manage, easy to backup, loads of options, no monthly subscription.... but yeah we'll have to move on once it hits an iOS that it won't work under
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... I so much prefer Marvin - so intuitive. If the getting to right page works with the X closing mentioned above, I'll keep using it until I can't anymore.
I also prefer Marvin to everything else I've tried. Even if a new iPadOS zaps the bookmark work-around, I'll keep using Marvin. I think calibre, Marvin and an occasional assist from Sigil are an unbeatable team!
Old 02-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
It must be something I'm doing since so many people use it and don't apparently have that problem. Any help would be most appreciated.
This one's a common issue ever since Marvin 3 was released. If you look at the app reviews on iTunes, it's mentioned there.

Marvin's been abandoned for a long time though, so either the user has learned to live with it, has developed a workaround (as @MartyTX has) or has switched to something else by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
I'm in the same boat - nothing comes close to Marvin for my needs.

Easy to manage, easy to backup, loads of options, no monthly subscription.... but yeah we'll have to move on once it hits an iOS that it won't work under
Yep. I've purchased a number of apps including KyBook (1-3), MapleRead, Hyphen, etc. but I keep going back to Marvin. For me, it strikes a good balance between customizability and simplicity.

Thankfully, it's still supported on iOS/iPadOS 13. I've found text selection (in Settings, not in books) to be occasionally wonky on "unsupported" resolutions (e.g. iPad 10.2"). Apart from that, Marvin's been working the same as it always has (bugs and all).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #9
peaceridge
Guru

MartyTX, works like a charm. As long as I remember to X out of the book before quitting, Marvin goes correctly back to the page! Thanks so much!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #10
MartyTX
Dedicated

Glad it worked on your Mini-5. I've upgraded my Mini-4 to iPadOS 13.3.1 and Marvin still works fine.

Marvin is good on the inside ... with just a few rough edges!
Old 02-21-2020, 07:48 AM   #11
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Glad it worked on your Mini-5. I've upgraded my Mini-4 to iPadOS 13.3.1 and Marvin still works fine.

Marvin is good on the inside ... with just a few rough edges!
Yep. It does most of what I want, so I can work around the minor annoyances of not syncing to exactly the right spot. As long as it's within a page or two, I can deal with it. I try to keep up with which ebook reading apps are out there , there are several out there that people like, so the world won't end once Marvin stops working.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
This bug happened well before IOS 13, when Kris was still maintaining Marvin, and I posted about it at the time. It happens on my IPad mini too, and is the one thing I wish could be fixed. The longer the chapter is, the worse the bug is. It seems to be related to the minor adjustments Marvin makes when it reflows the chapter on initialisation, which screws up the location. Long chapters can be many pages out.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:35 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
This bug happened well before IOS 13, when Kris was still maintaining Marvin, and I posted about it at the time. It happens on my IPad mini too, and is the one thing I wish could be fixed. The longer the chapter is, the worse the bug is. It seems to be related to the minor adjustments Marvin makes when it reflows the chapter on initialisation, which screws up the location. Long chapters can be many pages out.
Thank you for the explanation. Wonder what changed considering Marvin 2/Classic didn't have this problem and still doesn't even on iPadOS 13.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:23 PM   #14
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
This is most definitely NOT because it hasn't been updated ... this was an issue during Marvin 3 development. The issue was noticed by the beta testers and was mostly due to changing from portrait to landscape and back - trying to determine what point was the correct point to have at the top of the page was a real pain considering the reflowable nature of epubs. 'Where was the person reading on the page?' 'Should the top paragraph be the top paragraph after rotation - or the middle of the page?' If he used the top paragraph, then (depending on which orientation you were changing to) that could be a couple screens away in either direction. This doesn't take into account the problems with vertical scroll (vs pages) option... I personally use the vertical/auto scroll and don't have an issue with it returning to my previous reading point...but then I don't change the orientation while reading a book. I set it at the beginning of the book and leave it.

Kris worked on several options to determine the best way...not the perfect way...but the best he could come up with...and there were LOTS of opinions on the 'best' way. All of them had their drawbacks. The bookmark was a fall-back that would hopefully resolve issues that users may have.

In any case, I'm glad the auto bookmark on exit fixed it for you!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:28 PM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Other e-readers do not seem to have this problem; I wonder why not? The bug also occurs even when the rotation is locked.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote