Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Wishful thinking...

I ended up browsing around in my local Chapters store the other night, and came to a conclusion.

I would really like to own a Forma.

I don't need a Forma... my H2Ov1 still works perfectly.

I can't afford a Forma... particularly not the 32GB model I'd prefer.

But I would definltely like to own a Forma, especially after holding one.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I ended up browsing around in my local Chapters store the other night, and came to a conclusion.

Save up and don't pull the trigger early and buy an 8GB Forma when you really want the 32GB one. I've found having to inconvenience myself a little here and there to save up money for something will show me whether I really want it or not.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-15-2020 at 04:18 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #3
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
If I may, why would you want the 32Gb one? Even with big PDFs, it would be difficult to max out 8Gb.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
If I may, why would you want the 32Gb one? Even with big PDFs, it would be difficult to max out 8Gb.
No, it isn't. Many people have huge libraries and want as big a chunk of them as possible on their ereader. Before you ask why have so many books on an ereader, I personally never know what I want to read next. It changes constantly. So I want to have a large selection instantly available. 8 GB is barely enough. My Oasis 3 is 32 GB.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:01 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Though the 32GB versions are oriented towards those reading manga and other graphic content, I'm pushing the limits of the 6.73GB available storage on my 8GB Forma. With ~2900 epubs installed, I'm showing 750MB free.. And that's after making sure the full size parsed images are deleted since I prefer my M. C. Escher image collection as the sleep and power off images.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #6
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Admittedly, I'm a bit out of my lane here as this is the kobo forum and I only have kindles, but I have over 5000 books (Amazon's manage your content and devices page thinks 3167 docs and 2132 books) on my Kindle Manga (basically a Kindle Paperwhite 3 with 32 GB of storage).
It'd be fair to call me a digital hoarder.

Although it kinda is slow searching and indexing, probably due to the massive amount of content on it.
That might be a kindle issue though.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:42 AM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Isn't it the case that the AZW3 files aren't compressed while EPUBs are (using zip)? After a while that space difference could add up. So comparing Kindles to Kobos is sort of like apples and oranges.

As a test I used calibre and converted an EPUB (no images or fonts) to AZW3; in EPUB it's 556 kb, in AZW3 it's 789 kb.

Another reason for 32 gb could be traveling; you're not sure if you're bringing enough so to be safe you load a boatload of books from Project Gutenberg.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 12:47 AM   #8
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I think azw3 files are compressed. There's at least 2 levels of compression for .mobi (which AZW3 is a .mobi with only the so-called KF8/"new" format included?) and calibre only uses the less cpu intensive less effective version I think
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:10 AM   #9
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I think azw3 files are compressed. There's at least 2 levels of compression for .mobi (which AZW3 is a .mobi with only the so-called KF8/"new" format included?) and calibre only uses the less cpu intensive less effective version I think

Yes, that's true for MOBI files. But AZW3's are pretty much EPUB's with an Amazon ribbon around them. That's why the KindleUnpack plugin can 'convert' them so quickly; there is no real conversion involved, just some internal rearranging of files.

At least, that's how I understand things.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post

The Forma has been out for around 14 or so months.

Wait a bit longer and a new version MIGHT be available - and without that light wedge issue.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yes, that's true for MOBI files. But AZW3's are pretty much EPUB's with an Amazon ribbon around them. That's why the KindleUnpack plugin can 'convert' them so quickly; there is no real conversion involved, just some internal rearranging of files.

At least, that's how I understand things.
When you use KindleUnpack to shift from KF8 to ePub, you have to use epubcheck to check for errors as there will be some. The errors should be fixed. Also, if it's not a KF8 from one of the big 5 plublishers, the Kf8 can be not all that nice to format shift.

For example, one KF8 I've seen was using a lot of media queries and the book was one big file instead of split into chapters. So you have to check out the ePub once you've shifted to make sue it's OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
KF8 are very similar to epubs in the sense that they use Xhtml/html files for content, css file for formatting and a easy to understand text file that tells the reader how to put it all together. The actual packaging, as in, how it's all packed into a single archive, is different. Unlike EPUB, they are not using zip file format. They are still compressed, but the Epub zip compression is just always more efficient in terms of space used.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #13
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Just to answer people's curiosity: I have a fair number of gaming PDFs that I keep on my current H2Ov1, on the removable SD card. I believe everything would fit into the available space of the 8GB Forma... but I'd rather have some breathing room.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For example, one KF8 I've seen was using a lot of media queries and the book was one big file instead of split into chapters. So you have to check out the ePub once you've shifted to make sue it's OK.
If you love media queries, check out any Amazon azw3/KF8 created with Vellum. Though the overall structure of the extracted epub is pretty decent, there is a second stylesheet devoted to media queries.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #15
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Yep, I'm aware of that. I always use the 'Oversize HTML files' check of the Quality Check plugin to check any resulting EPUBs.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote