Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #1
dzhmartin
dzhmartin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Detailed Instructions For Installing Patches?

I need to download the "Freedom to advanced fonts control" on my Clara HD, but I don't have any programming experience. Some people here pointed me to this post, which lists instructions for doing this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313422

Is there a detailed more description on this forum of someone installing kobo patches? I wasn't sure what a few of these steps meant. For instance:

Quote:
4. Install the firmware on your kobo BEFORE proceeding with the next steps.
Does this mean copying over the file to my kobo directory?

Quote:
5. Enable patches in the files in the src folder (or use the overrides in kobopatch.yaml to keep your options separate).
Do I need to tamper with the files inside this folder?
Quote:
6. Run kobopatch.bat on Windows, or kobopatch.sh on Linux.
I have a Mac. Can I still do this?

Last edited by dzhmartin; 02-19-2019 at 04:55 PM.
dzhmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
codychan
Groupie
codychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud ofcodychan has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma
4. You have to install the proper kobo firmware for your kobo model before install the kobo patches, please note that the firmware must be the specific firmware for your kobo model, and the version number of the firmware must the same with the patch version number
Download firmware from https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html
5. you have to edit the files inside src folder, which will enable features inside patch, "Freedom to advanced fonts control" is one of the features, you have to read the files carefully and choose what feature you need, and enable them.
6. If you use Mac, use kobopatch.sh like Linux, I don't have Mac and never use patches inside my Linux, so I'm not sure whether you have to open the kobopatch.sh file inside a terminal or not.
codychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2019, 11:21 PM   #3
dzhmartin
dzhmartin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
4. Okay: Download firmware and copy over to kobo. Got it.

5. All of the files inside src have a .yaml extension. Are .yaml files able to be opened and edited? Once I manage to do that, do I also need to move those individual files over to my kobo?

6. When I clicked the kobopatch.sh file, my mac wasn't able to open it, and I couldn't find any apps on my computer that could open it. Do I need special software to open this?
dzhmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:41 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhmartin View Post
6. When I clicked the kobopatch.sh file, my mac wasn't able to open it, and I couldn't find any apps on my computer that could open it. Do I need special software to open this?
Open a terminal window, cd to the directory where you have the kobopatch.sh file and enter .\kobopatch.sh. You may have to sudo as well -- I don't do Mac command line very often.

After you successfully run the kobopatch.sh, you should find a KoboRoot.tgz file in the out directory. Connect your Kobo and copy that file into the .kobo directory (you will have to enable showing hidden files/directories since the leading '.' makes it hidden for Unix derived file systems.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-19-2019 at 11:44 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #5
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
You don't have to go inside the src files and change the .yaml there. It is recommended that unless you're changing the content of the patch that you just enable them via overrides in the kobopatch.yaml at the top level. Find the section called overrides: and add Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes after src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml: (note the indent).

Code:
overrides:
  src/nickel.yaml:
  src/libadobe.so.yaml:
  src/libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml:
    Freedom to advanced fonts control: yes
  src/librmsdk.so.1.0.0.yaml:
Run kobopatch as DNSB explained (but use the forward slash in ./kobopatch.sh, backward slash is Windows) and watch for something like this to appear in the output:

Code:
Patching ./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
  Applying overrides from config
    'Freedom to advanced fonts control' -> enabled:true
  [1/44] Skipping disabled patch `Set KePub hyphenation`
  [2/44] Skipping disabled patch `Keyboard template (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2)`
  [3/44] Skipping disabled patch `Custom font sizes`
  [4/44] Applying patch `Freedom to advanced fonts control`
…
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhmartin View Post
I need to download the "Freedom to advanced fonts control" on my Clara HD, but I don't have any programming experience. Some people here pointed me to this post, which lists instructions for doing this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=313422

Is there a detailed more description on this forum of someone installing kobo patches? I wasn't sure what a few of these steps meant. For instance:

Does this mean copying over the file to my kobo directory?

Do I need to tamper with the files inside this folder?

I have a Mac. Can I still do this?
This is the way i do it.While im on windows, the only difference should be the final step which DNSB explained to you

1.Download the firmware version your reader is on, from here .
Put the downloaded firmware file in /src.
If youre not on the latest version you can potentially upgrade the ereader to latest first if you prefer.

2.Open yaml files in /src folder with text editor (i prefer notepad++) and look for patches you like in libadobe/libnickel/librmdsk/nickel.yaml . Copy the name of the patch in kobopatch.yaml under the "overrides" line folowed by "yes".
My kobopatch.yaml file is in the attachment so you get the clear picture how it should look like.

3.Run kobopatch.bat (or in your case follow the instructions from @DNSB)

4.Copy "koboroot.tgz" from /out to you ereader in /.kobo . Safely eject the reader, and youre done.Takes about minute to finish after you ejected.

I think its simpler explained this way.

Edit:Step 4 in the original guide is unnecesary, unless you want to upgarde frimware to latest first.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kobopatch.yaml.zip (1.3 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by ReaLx3m; 02-20-2019 at 08:27 AM.
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I'm trying to figure this out too. So, if my Clara is already on the new version of firmware, how can I skip the steps that do the upgrade?
Or does the bat file write the changes to the firmware file and reinstalls the same version with the changes?
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The "upgrade" package generated by the patcher only includes the patched files. The fact that we're using the "update" mechanism to deliver the patches should not be taken to mean that it's re-applying 150MB of data just for fun, because it doesn't, it only flashes the patched binaries.

Which is why you need to *already* be on the exact FW version you're patching, otherwise you'd be mixing binaries between different versions.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I'm trying to figure this out too. So, if my Clara is already on the new version of firmware, how can I skip the steps that do the upgrade?
Or does the bat file write the changes to the firmware file and reinstalls the same version with the changes?
If your Clara HD is on the same version as you are attempting to patch, you don't need to do the upgrade.

The KoboRoot.tgz file generated in the out directory is the same version as the KoboRoot.tgz file in the kobo-update-x.xx.xxxxx.zip file in the src directory and must match the version currently installed on your Kobo ereader. Basically, the relevant files are extracted from the .tgz file in the zip archive, modified, added to the generated KoboRoot.tgz output file and placed in the .out directory. This generated KoboRoot.tgz file does not contain all the files in the original KoboRoot.tgz file—if you compare the size of the two files, the original KoboRoot.tgz file is much larger than the generated KoboRoot.tgz file.

If you are really enthused, you can take the modified files from the generated KoboRoot.tgz file, inject them into the original KoboRoot.tgz and do the update and patch in one swell foop. I've done this a couple of times when playing with firmware updates but I don't recommend it for normal use unless you are fond of doing manual factory resets.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Ok, that makes sense. I'm starting from the beginning again cause I didn't do some thing right,but at least I haven't bricked it yet.

Last edited by retro; 12-07-2019 at 06:01 PM.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would it be easier to allow a full upgrade with the patched files in order to get the new firmware loaded and the patches loaded in one go? I think this would be a good option to allow. That way, everything can be done in one go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would it be easier to allow a full upgrade with the patched files in order to get the new firmware loaded and the patches loaded in one go? I think this would be a good option to allow. That way, everything can be done in one go.
While this might seem to be good idea, for those of us who have multiple devices, it would be a bit of a pain. There are differences in the upgrade directory between hardware generations and even the KoboRoot.tgz has some different images, etc. for different hardware versions.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
While this might seem to be good idea, for those of us who have multiple devices, it would be a bit of a pain. There are differences in the upgrade directory between hardware generations and even the KoboRoot.tgz has some different images, etc. for different hardware versions.

I would only patch the firmware file that is installed on the device. But if I had multiple devices of the same mark, then I could use that patch firmware for those devices of the same mark.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would only patch the firmware file that is installed on the device. But if I had multiple devices of the same mark, then I could use that patch firmware for those devices of the same mark.
Problem is: the information about the mark is not included in the file....
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Problem is: the information about the mark is not included in the file....
it's up to you to know what mark the file is for.