Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
More about the reasons:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ipads-flights/
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
A little light editing has taken place and one post has been deleted. This is just a gentle reminder to all to keep the discussion to device restrictions and other facts of the matter and not to stray into the area of political opinion. Generally, so far, so good. People are welcome to start a topic in P&R if they'd like to discuss this with fewer restrictions. Thanks!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I like this sentence:

Quote:
He added: "We remain open for business. People should continue to fly and comply with security procedures."
Sure people need to keep flying so we can annoy them further! Let them fly for a 10 hour flight without books or even music (if even your phone is too large because you have a 6" phone)!

I already read somewhere you need to be sure your device is charged because they can ask you to turn it on. I still see absolutely no increased security with this measure. Only an increased amount of people who cannot claim a stolen tablet/laptop because it wasn't in the hand luggage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
A little light editing has taken place and one post has been deleted. This is just a gentle reminder to all to keep the discussion to device restrictions and other facts of the matter and not to stray into the area of political opinion. Generally, so far, so good. People are welcome to start a topic in P&R if they'd like to discuss this with fewer restrictions. Thanks!
Maybe it's handy if you post somewhere where you can find that forum as I cannot find it at all (not even in a search result). It's been a few years since it was started. I absolutely have no idea where to find it, nor any references on where to search for it.

Last edited by Sweetpea; 03-22-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I gave up travelling to the USA some years ago after my husband and I were both separately treated badly by airport security. I don't need to travel there for work reasons any more and so have simply given up recreational travel there.
That's why I won't leave the US. I dread re-entry.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Maybe it's handy if you post somewhere where you can find that forum as I cannot find it at all (not even in a search result). It's been a few years since it was started. I absolutely have no idea where to find it, nor any references on where to search for it.
Politics and Religion Forum
Advert
Old 03-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's why I won't leave the US. I dread re-entry.
Yes, that's one thing I noticed, there wasn't a lot of difference between EU citizens and US citizens when we entered the US in Miami. Both groups needed to wait for a long time for exactly the same reasons. Re-entry in LA was a bit different (a lot faster!) as we arrived at a seaport and not an airport

Compared with our return in Amsterdam, we just showed our passport (all EU countries) and were free to go.

Quote:
Quote:
Sweetpea, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation
That's why there should be a thread somewhere pointing you to what you need to do...
Old 03-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
You need to opt-in on your Control Panel. Choose "Group Memberships" and add "Hardened Debaters."

Last edited by issybird; 03-22-2017 at 08:51 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #23
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
This restriction is easily bypassed. All a terrorist would have to do is fly from a restricted airport to an airport that isn't observing these restrictions and then catch a flight to the US or UK with their laptop in the cabin all the way.
That isn't allowed, as I read the planned policies.

If it was, far fewer people would be inconvenienced. Most of the inconvenienced people may be those changing planes in Dubai.

Since the intelligence this is based on is secret, we can't really judge the justification. However, worry about bombs that can't be picked up by metal detectors is legitimate. [....] Having to bring a paper book on a flight is not, for me, the end of the world.

[....]

Last edited by issybird; 03-22-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Not objective enough.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Sure people need to keep flying so we can annoy them further! Let them fly for a 10 hour flight without books or even music (if even your phone is too large because you have a 6" phone)!
If by some miracle I were to fly again, I'd take a paperback, an old-school flip phone, two Sansa Clips (music & audiobooks), and two lipstick batteries. No laptop, no tablet, no ereader, no smartphone, and no checked baggage whatsoever.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 03-22-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #25
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Don't see how they can prevent it.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What you could do is go from your "bad" airport to, let's say Schiphol. Enter the country (i.e. leave the airport) and have a completely different ticket to your UK or US destination. But that means you need to checkout your suitcase and check it in again. And it's generally a lot more expensive (don't forget you probably also will need a place to stay and some food). That's the only way that might work, that I can see.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:05 AM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
What you could do is go from your "bad" airport to, let's say Schiphol. Enter the country (i.e. leave the airport) and have a completely different ticket to your UK or US destination. But that means you need to checkout your suitcase and check it in again. And it's generally a lot more expensive (don't forget you probably also will need a place to stay and some food). That's the only way that might work, that I can see.
A terrorist plot will have a network, so logistics shouldn't pose a problem.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #28
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I think the last time I flew somewhere was in the mid 90's. Even pre 2001, it was getting to be a hassle. Right now, there just isn't anywhere I want to go badly enough to put up with all that. I'm certainly not going to get on a plane without my ebook reader/tablet.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #29
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
They can and, in my international travel experience, sometimes do, force you to go through a security check at your change of planes point, or even at a stop where you don't change planes.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #30
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post

If it was, far fewer people would be inconvenienced. Most of the inconvenienced people may be those changing planes in Dubai.

Since the intelligence this is based on is secret, we can't really judge the justification. However, worry about bombs that can't be picked up by metal detectors is legitimate. [....] Having to bring a paper book on a flight is not, for me, the end of the world.

[....]
Interestingly there are differences between the American ban and the British ban. USA ban applies to direct flights from Morocco, Qatar, Kuwait and the UAE. These are not included in the British ban but Tunisia is.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote