Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How important are page numbers in Kindle Books?
Very important - I tend to avoid those books and forget the author 16 8.56%
Nice to have - I use them if they are there 57 30.48%
Not important at all - get over yourself. 114 60.96%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
How is it the Kindle which does "make believe" page numbers "when they bother to do them at all"?
The Kindle only does page numbers when an APNX exists -- which is translated from an NCX PageList or Adobe Page-map.
If, however, you sideload your Kindle books using Calibre, Calibre does indeed generate fake numbers for you using essentially the same method that ADE uses (ie based on character count).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:58 AM   #47
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If, however, you sideload your Kindle books using Calibre, Calibre does indeed generate fake numbers for you using essentially the same method that ADE uses (ie based on character count).
And I can open the book for editing and insert a PageList or Page-map with fake numbers, too. It is hardly the Kindle's fault for being tricked by calibre into thinking there are publisher-curated page numbers.
As I have never cared about fake page numbers, I've never tried finding out whether there is a similar tool which can generate fake page numbers for an EPUB -- but no doubt there is one.

What is your point?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2016, 12:03 PM   #48
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
As I have never cared about fake page numbers, I've never tried finding out whether there is a similar tool which can generate fake page numbers for an EPUB -- but no doubt there is one.

What is your point?
There's no need to generate fake page numbers for epubs being rendered by ADE-based reading apps (Kobo, Sony, Nook???, some Android) as ADE does it automatically on the reading device. No user intervention required, even when there is no publisher-inserted page-map.

I must admit I find the ADE page numbers quite useful because they are exactly the same on my Kobo einks and Android devices. I swap between them frequently and it's easy to find my place. In the absence of a Whispersync-like facility, it does the trick fairly well.

I also like to have the exact same page count available in calibre (via Count Pages plugin) for quick and dirty assessment of short/medium/long books.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-27-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And I can open the book for editing and insert a PageList or Page-map with fake numbers, too. It is hardly the Kindle's fault for being tricked by calibre into thinking there are publisher-curated page numbers.

What is your point?
I wasn't disagreeing with you; I was just elaborating on your comment that "The Kindle only does page numbers when an APNX exists -- which is translated from an NCX PageList or Adobe Page-map". There are other methods of generating the APNX file.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #50
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
There's no need to generate fake page numbers for epubs being rendered by ADE-based reading apps (Kobo, Sony, Nook???, some Android) as ADE does it automatically on the reading device. No user intervention required, even when there is no publisher-inserted page-map.

I must admit I find the ADE page numbers quite useful because they are exactly the same on my Kobo einks and Android devices. I swap between them frequently and it's easy to find my place. In the absence of a Whispersync-like facility, it does the trick fairly well.

I also like to have the exact same page count available in calibre (via Count Pages plugin) for quick and dirty assessment of short/medium/long books.
Well, generating fake page numbers can be quite useful in the event that you want to choose the algorithm used, or manually set the number of pages.

Although I guess I could hear that EPUB is a less interesting target for those reasons -- not that I'd know anyway, I already said I don't care about fake page numbers.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 AM   #51
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I primarily read novels, so page numbers are not an issue. However, if you are a student or reading stuff that refers to other sections of the book or using an index, you are up a river without a paddle. General cookbooks are also a nightmare without page numbers.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #52
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
However, if you are a student or reading stuff that refers to other sections of the book or using an index, you are up a river without a paddle. General cookbooks are also a nightmare without page numbers.
This is only true if the ebook is just an exact copy of the print book. If the ebook is formatted properly, then all references to other parts of the book, as well as the index will link back to the relevant parts of the book.

It's not a drawback of the format, it's laziness on the part of the author/publisher. Done properly, indexes and reference points are actually easier to use in an ebook.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #53
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I primarily read novels, so page numbers are not an issue. However, if you are a student or reading stuff that refers to other sections of the book or using an index, you are up a river without a paddle. General cookbooks are also a nightmare without page numbers.
Car owners manual is another that needs page numbers.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #54
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Again, only if the ebook is an exact copy of the print version.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:13 PM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I primarily read novels, so page numbers are not an issue. However, if you are a student or reading stuff that refers to other sections of the book or using an index, you are up a river without a paddle.
Why? An index, or references to other parts of the book, can entirely satisfactorily be done using hyperlinks.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Why does it need page numbers?
Old 03-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #57
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why does it need page numbers?
Because the people that put them together do not bother with making a workable TOC or index on the ebook so one needs to know where to scroll to.
It isn't like the book is 20 pages. Heck there were 20 pages just on how to install a child's car seat.
The darn thing is 900+ pages. It took almost 2 weeks to get in the paper copy.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Because the people that put them together do not bother with making a workable TOC or index on the ebook so one needs to know where to scroll to.
That indicates that the ebook has been poorly made, not that car owner's manuals inherently require page numbers. My car (a Mini) has an electronic owner's manual, displayed on its central display console, which is entirely hyperlinked.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #59
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
That indicates that the ebook has been poorly made, not that car owner's manuals inherently require page numbers. My car (a Mini) has an electronic owner's manual, displayed on its central display console, which is entirely hyperlinked.
That is totally cool. Our Ram does not have that capability.
Poorly made is an understatement.
I should have said "General Motors Owner's Manuals need page numbers".
At least I think General Motors does Chrysler, Dodge and Ram.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:04 PM   #60
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
This is only true if the ebook is just an exact copy of the print book. If the ebook is formatted properly, then all references to other parts of the book, as well as the index will link back to the relevant parts of the book.

It's not a drawback of the format, it's laziness on the part of the author/publisher. Done properly, indexes and reference points are actually easier to use in an ebook.

Shari
Shari:

Out of curiosity, what do you deem as "done properly?"

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote