Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...and this was my point. If the word "bonus" is so subjective that one person's opinion can turn it from fact to lie, then the word should NEVER be used, because I don't think there will ever be a time that everyone agrees on something.

Shari
I say to call it an excerpt and for other added stuff like an author interview call it added material as it does relate to the book. An extra short story that's part of the same series, that is a bonus.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:20 PM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
...and this was my point. If the word "bonus" is so subjective that one person's opinion can turn it from fact to lie, then the word should NEVER be used, because I don't think there will ever be a time that everyone agrees on something.

Shari
I don't that anyone - except Jon - is claiming that it's a lie: a deliberate attempt to mislead.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't that anyone - except Jon - is claiming that it's a lie: a deliberate attempt to mislead.
But it is misleading. They claim it is bonus material and then when you get to it, it's just an excerpt. That is not bonus material.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is not bonus material.
IN YOUR OPINION!
Sheesh Jon, why can't you just accept that your OPINION of what constitutes a "bonus" is just that? An opinion. Not fact. In my opinion, an excerpt IS a bonus. So am I now entitled to call you a liar because of my opinion?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #65
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
A bonus is something added to the book that enhances it's value to me. Quotes from newspapers touting the book or others by the author, samples of the author's next book or other material of the like nature is advertising. They might as well start putting cigarette advertising in ebooks. This is my opinion and does not necessarily mean that it is what the majority expect.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2015, 03:31 PM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Advertising in books is nothing new. When I was a kid in the late 60s and 70s, most paperback books at the time had a cardboard insert with advertising on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #67
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Advertising in books is nothing new. When I was a kid in the late 60s and 70s, most paperback books at the time had a cardboard insert with advertising on it.
Cigarette ads, no less.

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #68
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hence my comment about advertising cigarettes.
Apache
Old 01-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #69
Apache
Readaholic

And the only time I ever defaced books was to rip out those advertisements.
Apache
Old 01-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #70
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sheesh Jon, why can't you just accept that your OPINION of what constitutes a "bonus" is just that? An opinion. Not fact.
While the value of an excerpt is subjective, I will suggest that there are cases when calling it an excerpt a bonus is a misrepresentation. For example: if they claim to add an excerpt as a bonus, there is no misrepresentation. If they claim that there are bonus chapters, and those chapters turn out to be an excerpt, the ambiguity should be sufficient to classify it as misrepresenting promotional material as something that has greater value.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Cigarette ads, no less.

The maker of Kent cigarettes is being sued because they used asbestos in their filters.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:34 PM   #72
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
While the value of an excerpt is subjective, I will suggest that there are cases when calling it an excerpt a bonus is a misrepresentation. For example: if they claim to add an excerpt as a bonus, there is no misrepresentation. If they claim that there are bonus chapters, and those chapters turn out to be an excerpt, the ambiguity should be sufficient to classify it as misrepresenting promotional material as something that has greater value.
I will happily concede that an excerpt from another book being presented as "bonus chapters" could be classified as a misrepresentation. I've also never encountered it to my knowledge.

I'll make my position simple: extra words included that are not part of the book I purchased are bonus material. As are the words on the cereal box, the milk jug, the cream cheese container, the panel-truck outside my window, and the hat the guy diagonally from me is wearing. I may or may not avail myself of every single bonus presented me, but that doesn't make it un-bonus-ey in my eyes.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-09-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A lot of times, if it's a short-story or novella, the excerpt is almost 1/2 the size of the story.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #74
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lot of times, if it's a short-story or novella, the excerpt is almost 1/2 the size of the story.
And...?
I'm not really all that price-to-word-count sensitive.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
And...?
I'm not really all that price-to-word-count sensitive.
I've read in a lot of reviews of people thinking they are getting a longer story when a lot of the bulk of the eBook is an excerpt.