Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Those are not exclusive categories. If I buy a product, and there is a trial size of some other product, the company is giving me this trial size in order to entice me to buy more of it. It's advertising, yes, but it's still a bonus, even if I have no interest in that sample. An excerpt is no different.
If you get a trial size of say Cascade, you'll at least get enough to do a full load in the dishwasher. An excerpt is not enough. It's a part. What you got in your trial size what a full amount to do something with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:53 PM   #32
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you get a trial size of say Cascade, you'll at least get enough to do a full load in the dishwasher. An excerpt is not enough. It's a part. What you got in your trial size what a full amount to do something with.
Your point was that if something is for advertising, it is not a bonus. However. that sample of Cascade is both advertising and a bonus, so something can be both advertising and a bonus. Now you're saying that an bonus has to be of a sufficient size to count as a bonus. Again, this isn't part of any definition of bonus. A bonus excerpt may be sufficient for people to make a determination whether they want to buy the full book.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 01:37 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Your point was that if something is for advertising, it is not a bonus. However. that sample of Cascade is both advertising and a bonus, so something can be both advertising and a bonus. Now you're saying that an bonus has to be of a sufficient size to count as a bonus. Again, this isn't part of any definition of bonus. A bonus excerpt may be sufficient for people to make a determination whether they want to buy the full book.
IMHO A teaser for a NEW series could be both.

Do I need to be bonus teased for a series I am reading?

I stopped reading these back in the days of paperbacks because I was in the habit of browsing the first chapter to decide if I had already read (because of the dratted cover change) the book. I would 'remember having read it' (cuz I read the teaser) and not get the book. Sometimes it took years to discover the false positive.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:34 PM   #34
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Bonus, excerpt, sample, advertising--who cares?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 02:56 PM   #35
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Do I need to be bonus teased for a series I am reading?
You may not, but other people might. Not everyone who reads a series is going to automatically pick up the next book in the series. If the next book in the series isn't out yet, many people may enjoy the chance to have an advance sample of it. I know people who have gone to a movie just to get the first look at a trailer for some other movie.
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #36
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
For me, a bonus in an ebook is when there are no scan errors. Or typos. Or format issues.

I so rarely get bonuses in ebooks...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #37
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
It appears that a bonus is in the eye of the beholder.
I would consider a free short story after the main book to be a bonus.

Apparently some people consider sample chapters a bonus. I don't.
(They can be annoying spoilers, if you're reading book 3 in a series, and assume the sample chapter is for book 4, but it's actually a sample of book 6 and gives away key details of the plot from the intervening books).

Count me among those who like to know when the end of the book is coming. Most books I read seem to have about 5-10 pages of junk at the end. However, I have run across a few that had 50+ pages (sample chapters, lists of other books, etc.) so before I start reading a new book, the first thing I do is open the table of contents to find out when the book ends and the junk begins.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #38
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Now you're saying that an bonus has to be of a sufficient size to count as a bonus.
It's not size that matters. It's completeness.

Three examples:

A book contains a few sample chapters. Some readers will think of it as a bonus because it gives the reader a taste of the promoted book. Other readers are going to disagree since they must purchase the book in order to find out how the story ends.

Another book may contain a self contained story that is a preview of an upcoming book. It is still advertising material, but it does arrive at a conclusion. Many more readers will see this as a bonus since the reader is not obligated to buy something, even though it is intended to entice them to buy another book. (This is similar to a sample sized product mentioned above.)

The third example is a complete story, author interview, etc.. It's still there to sell a book, but is intended to sell the book that it is included with. This is a genuine bonus, in my opinion, because it is intended to create value for the reader. The other examples may add value for some readers, but their intent is to create value for the vendor/publisher/author.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #39
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
It's not size that matters. It's completeness.

Three examples:

A book contains a few sample chapters. Some readers will think of it as a bonus because it gives the reader a taste of the promoted book. Other readers are going to disagree since they must purchase the book in order to find out how the story ends.
That assumes that for something to be a bonus, it must be something you want. But since different people want different things, what would be a bonus for one would not be a bonus for others. By that subjective standard, it would be meaningless to say that anything is or is not a bonus.

If we apply an objective standard, that of a bonus being something extra, excerpts are bonuses. Whether they are bonuses that people would like, it entirely a matter of personal taste. Some people might be thrilled to get chance to read an excerpt of the next book before it is published. People may make assumptions when they see the word "bonus", but just because they are disappointed doesn't mean it isn't a bonus.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
To me a bonus might be a short story or flash fiction set in the same world, or an interesting, in-depth author interview. A sample of another book is just an advertisement.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:48 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
That assumes that for something to be a bonus, it must be something you want. But since different people want different things, what would be a bonus for one would not be a bonus for others. By that subjective standard, it would be meaningless to say that anything is or is not a bonus.
A bonus, by definition, is "something good" - that's what the word actually means. So it's perfectly true to say that whether or not something is regarded as a bonus is a subjective judgement, depending on whether the reader considers it good or not.

One can objectively say "this book contains additional material", but not "this book contains bonus material", because the latter is making assumptions about what the reader's personal opinion will be.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:29 AM   #42
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
To me bonus means something that is relevant to that book. Like the directors commentary on a DVD.
A list of other books by the author or an excerpt from the next book in the series are not bonuses. If those are a bonus, then advertisements on television are a "bonus".
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:54 AM   #43
QuantumIguana
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A bonus, by definition, is "something good" - that's what the word actually means. So it's perfectly true to say that whether or not something is regarded as a bonus is a subjective judgement, depending on whether the reader considers it good or not.

One can objectively say "this book contains additional material", but not "this book contains bonus material", because the latter is making assumptions about what the reader's personal opinion will be.
Merriam Webster defines "bonus" as "something in addition to what is expected or strictly due", which perfectly well describes an excerpt. The word bonus does derive from a Latin word meaning "good", but it's origins don't matter. You could only say that calling an excerpt a bonus is a lie is if it is objectively not a bonus, not subjectively.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #44
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Merriam Webster defines "bonus" as "something in addition to what is expected or strictly due", which perfectly well describes an excerpt. The word bonus does derive from a Latin word meaning "good", but it's origins don't matter. You could only say that calling an excerpt a bonus is a lie is if it is objectively not a bonus, not subjectively.
If you go strictly by that Merriam Webster definition, without a view toward etymology or context or connotation or shared meanings, a poke in the eye with a sharp stick could be a "bonus". I think we all know that words are more complicated than that.

Dictionary.com says "something extra or additional given freely"
Oxford online (free) says "an extra and unexpected advantage".

I guess Oxford really is the best!

eta: Hang on, I just did a Merriam-Webster lookup online - and it says "something good that is more than what was expected or required". Different editions?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:01 AM   #45
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I
eta: Hang on, I just did a Merriam-Webster lookup online - and it says "something good that is more than what was expected or required". Different editions?

yeah, that's the JSWolf edition
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote