Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Bonus is not a bonus

Why is it that most eBooks that tout having bonus material isn't actually giving us anything that's a bonus? All it is usually is just a excerpt from the next book in the series or the newest book from the author. Why call it a bonus when calling it an excerpt it more honest? I don't think bloating the eBook with a preview is a bonus. I always strip the bonus excerpt out because for one, it gives an incorrect word count as it's not part of the book I am going to be reading.

It's a marketing ploy that's a lie.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Welcome to sales. That is a popular sales technique otherwise known as lying.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is called 'Spin'

The FTC will/has come down hard on outright lies.

Paper books would use ads to fill out a signature
e-books use the bonuses to fill out weak byte counts
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"Bonus" excerpts have been around long before ebooks. I think it's a little silly to get bent out of shape over what they call the "extra" material. As is worrying about "bloat" in archives that are mostly less than a megabyte in size.

Besides. I DO consider excerpts to be bonus material. So there. No one's lying after all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-06-2015 at 05:43 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
I have to agree with this, especially the skewing of book length. The worst one I saw was a few months ago (unfortunately can't think of the title right now). I was really surprised when I got to the end of the book and noticed that I was only 72% (!) through the book. All the rest of it was a long author bio, 2-3 chapter excerpt for the next book, and reviews of the book from other authors and publications with the "headline" of each review in gigantic font.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Welcome to sales. That is a popular sales technique otherwise known as lying.
Sales people seem to have a peculiar mindset, so that promotional material may actually be a genuine bonus in their mind. I would not be surprised in the slightest if they see this as a value added proposition for both the consumer and themselves.

That said, I have seen at least one book with a standalone short story added to the end.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
That said, I have seen at least one book with a standalone short story added to the end.
I have seen a number of these. Generally the standalone ebook is available separately, in case you feel the publisher deserves more money.

That seems a fair "bonus" to me.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
If you buy nonfiction, sometimes there is a bonus section of photographs.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
I have to agree with this, especially the skewing of book length. The worst one I saw was a few months ago (unfortunately can't think of the title right now). I was really surprised when I got to the end of the book and noticed that I was only 72% (!) through the book. All the rest of it was a long author bio, 2-3 chapter excerpt for the next book, and reviews of the book from other authors and publications with the "headline" of each review in gigantic font.
Yes, I agree. It skews the percentage and the page count.

So I think I'm not done yet and I then find out I'm done. This is why I strip out the "so called" bonus material that is nothing more then an excerpt. I do leave in things like author interview and other stuff that's not an excerpt of another book. I also strip out reviews of the book. I already have the book, so why do I care what reviews said? I don't.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
That's a bonus. An excerpt is not.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:25 AM   #11
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Content everyone would agree was "bonus" material used to be shown at live performances and cinemas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double...gin_and_format
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:48 AM   #12
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
hmm, i just read a book until the book finishes. i don't bother to look at what page i'm at. isn't that how a book should be read? what's the big deal if there's 57 pages of other crap after the story you're reading has clearly finished and the next page you turn to isn't related to the book? at that point, you ignore the rest of the book since you've clearly completed reading it.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
It's done to give people a longer sample so they can be sure it's what they want before they buy, but with KU payments being based on someone reading past the sample you'll be less likely to see it in the future. Unless they put it at the front instead.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
So, we have spin and lying. It could be worse. If it were politics, you'd be told you were getting a bonus when half the book was missing and you had to pay to get it.

I suppose there are innocents who expect honesty, openness, dare I say transparency, in marketing and politics.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:28 AM   #15
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post
hmm, i just read a book until the book finishes. i don't bother to look at what page i'm at. isn't that how a book should be read? what's the big deal if there's 57 pages of other crap after the story you're reading has clearly finished and the next page you turn to isn't related to the book? at that point, you ignore the rest of the book since you've clearly completed reading it.
I just like to know how much of a book is left. Sometimes for practical reasons (should I push through to the end before bed or just finish it in the morning? ) but mostly just because I like to KNOW - to start my mental wrap up of the characters/story before I leave them. If it ends unexpectedly, it's a bit of a jolt, even if the story itself wrapped up, because I don't always get closure ... I prepared for a 'more' that didn't come.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote