Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #61
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Dave Wixom is Gordy Dickson's literary agent - I could probably find his contact information if you really wanted it to ask about American-available ebooks.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #62
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
When ebooks were really getting popular about a year after the Microsoft lit reader came out; there were two writers that had books in a series (7 or 8 books). They were always posting about theit books being out of print and people always contacting them for copies and sometimes they had used paperback copies of these scifi books. The lit reader had absolutely no books and that was what my pocket pc would read... one day I contacted these writers and offered to scan, proofread and provide either text, doc or lit files of these books to help them get back into circulation. The scathing mail and nasty threats was bad... I thought they were going to sue me just for being a dedicated fan who wanted to help them get a bigger fan base and make more money. I offered to do it at no cost to them. They have continued to have a following and have now gotten big enough to even have audiobooks. I have even repurchased the stories and have paper, ebook and audiobook. Though I have quit referring friends and collegues to read them out of principle.... that bad taste in my mouth about my genuine loving offer.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #63
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Dave Wixom is Gordy Dickson's literary agent - I could probably find his contact information if you really wanted it to ask about American-available ebooks.
Oddly, despite my world wide fame as an occasional poster to MobileRead Forums, I doubt my ability to influence the decision to make ebooks available.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #64
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
$12 for an omnibus of four books seems like excellent value for money to me.
It's not the price.
It is the fact that it is the Agency (Price Fix) price.
I stopped buying *anything* from the Price Fix six the moment the conspiracy kicked in. As long as the book is tagged "Price set by publisher" I'm not buying.
Once market-pricing returns, I'll act.
Until then, there's plenty of good books in my TBR list.

(I do own the SFBC omnibus edition so I'm not totally without options.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #65
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It's not the price.
It is the fact that it is the Agency (Price Fix) price.
I know it says it's set by the publisher, but Penguin book prices have been dropping by the dozens in the past few weeks which leads me to believe that perhaps it's the retailer doing the pricing now (when other pubs got switched over the pricing set by thing didn't always go away at first). This one is $11.89 from Google (with a list price of $13.99) & Amazon (which is an odd price for Penguin if they were doing the discounting) and $13.99 at B&N and Kobo. Are we sure it's still Agency priced?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #66
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
While Amazon says Cities in Flight is published by Penguin, Kobo says that it's published by Overlook, and is couponable. I have a great coupon from Kobo from the last time I opened an incident with them, much better to use it on this than a $5.99 book.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #67
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
While Amazon says Cities in Flight is published by Penguin, Kobo says that it's published by Overlook, and is couponable. I have a great coupon from Kobo from the last time I opened an incident with them, much better to use it on this than a $5.99 book.
and B&N says...
Quote:
ISBN-13: 9781590209301
Publisher: Overlook
Publication date: 1/4/2005
Sold by: Penguin Group
Format: eBook
Pages: 608
Sales rank: 110,621
File size: 2 MB
So does Overlook (which is run by the former Penguin CEO) perhaps have a distribution deal with Penguin? OT I know, but curious.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 AM   #68
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Excuse me for skipping over most of this thread, but I just saw it while looking for something else, and wanted to offer a tiny piece of information. By coincidence, I just happened to be talking to Roger Zelazny's son at Readercon, and he mentioned that many of his father's books were not in ebook because of rights being tied up in old contracts. We were also talking about rights that get tied up in bankruptcy of publishers, and I think that may be a factor here, too. (Not sure about that; we were really talking about something else.)

Anyway, that's undoubtedly why there aren't ebooks of all of Zelazny's work--because the ebook rights are locked up in one way or another, and aren't available to those who might actually make it happen.

Apologies if this has already been said.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #69
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Whatever the reason, it would be a shame if it's not resolved before the books go into the public domain sometime between 2060 and 2074, depending on the work.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #70
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Excuse me for skipping over most of this thread, but I just saw it while looking for something else, and wanted to offer a tiny piece of information. By coincidence, I just happened to be talking to Roger Zelazny's son at Readercon, and he mentioned that many of his father's books were not in ebook because of rights being tied up in old contracts. We were also talking about rights that get tied up in bankruptcy of publishers, and I think that may be a factor here, too. (Not sure about that; we were really talking about something else.)

Anyway, that's undoubtedly why there aren't ebooks of all of Zelazny's work--because the ebook rights are locked up in one way or another, and aren't available to those who might actually make it happen.

Apologies if this has already been said.
Thanks Jeffrey!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #71
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Whatever the reason, it would be a shame if it's not resolved before the books go into the public domain sometime between 2060 and 2074, depending on the work.

Sorry, but I won't live that long.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #72
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Paper, Man! Paper! Read!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #73
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's the market that Gateway are going after. They do a "Dorsai" omnibus containing the first six books in the series for £15. (They also sell the books individually at £3, so essentially with the omnibus you're getting 6 for the price of 5).

Unfortunately it's not sold in the US, but it's easy enough to pay a virtual visit to the UK if you want it.
Not so easy. Amazon.uk also checks the address of the credit card. I was able to get Feist's Rift War saga and Edding's Belgariad series that way, but got cut off after the first book in the Malloreon. I'm sure there is a way around it (thought gift cards don't seem to work).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #74
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post

Yep, thanks for the info.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 AM   #75
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Not so easy. Amazon.uk also checks the address of the credit card. I was able to get Feist's Rift War saga and Edding's Belgariad series that way, but got cut off after the first book in the Malloreon. I'm sure there is a way around it (thought gift cards don't seem to work).
I use my Am Ex Card and have not had any problems buying from Amazon UK.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote