Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

poor illustration on books purchased through CONNECT store

I finally got around to read some of those books that I bought from the CONNECT store, only to discover that the quality of the figures, diagrams and graphs are horrible blobs. Especially those that are full page illustrations, changing size and orientation doesn't improve readablity. Consider how nice photo jpegs can look on the reader, it is quite disappointing to find the illustrations in professionally sold ebooks are not readable at all. Have you experienced this too?
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck
I finally got around to read some of those books that I bought from the CONNECT store, only to discover that the quality of the figures, diagrams and graphs are horrible blobs. Especially those that are full page illustrations, changing size and orientation doesn't improve readablity. Consider how nice photo jpegs can look on the reader, it is quite disappointing to find the illustrations in professionally sold ebooks are not readable at all. Have you experienced this too?
Yes, quite a lot actually. Pretty much every diagram I've seen comes out poorly.
Laurens is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I was disappointed with the lack of cover art as well. I know you don't judge a book by its cover, but the extra effort makes the book feel more legitimate to me.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
It depends on the book. Some books have good cover art, some have none. Some books I've seen the pictures are clear in, others they look like bad five year old scans with ink lines and all.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
I was disappointed with the lack of cover art as well. I know you don't judge a book by its cover, but the extra effort makes the book feel more legitimate to me.
AMEN to that! I just don't understand why some publishers treat cover art in ebooks as a trivial matter.

I was most disappointed with the lack of cover art for the book Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's a great image on the cover, but Simon & Schuster chose to omit it, even though they included the thumbnail of it on the "Info" page for the book.
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

i just submitted a complaint to sony support requesting refund as more and more pages of the book are completely indecipherable, both on the PRS-500 and in the Preview Mode of Connect Software, making the book from hard-to-read to useless.

Attached are several images taken in the connect software.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p153croped.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2896   Click image for larger version

Name:	p121.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	2897  
Old 03-04-2007, 08:16 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeluck
i just submitted a complaint to sony support requesting refund as more and more pages of the book are completely indecipherable, both on the PRS-500 and in the Preview Mode of Connect Software, making the book from hard-to-read to useless.

Attached are several images taken in the connect software.
What book was that Jake?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Looks like those pages even though lots of text were images and the publisher's or Sony's compression software royally messed them up. I hope you get your refund.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #9
jakeluck
Groupie

Frank W. Abagnale's "The Art of the Steal":
Old 03-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
jakeluck
Groupie

Sony support has decided to credited me the cost of the book, noting:

"We apologize for any difficulties or limitations you experienced using our
Connect service. It is very important that we receive this type of feedback
so that we may better serve our customers. We have forwarded the
information to our support team for correction. Unfortunately we do not
have an ETA of when the problem will be corrected. We will update once it
has been corrected from Publisher."
Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #11
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Well done Sony.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well that was nice of them. It'd be better if there weren't such problems, but it's not always possible to pro-actively fix such things when you're dealing with a large data pool, and it comes from other people (we have that problem a lot around here, sometimes). I figure it's more important to make them good when they do crop up, and I'm glad to see they're trying to do that.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #13
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It's good that they give you at least the refund. This coming from Sony is quite spectacular
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #14
jakeluck
Groupie

i agree, definitely swayed my opinion of sticking with them now just fix that battery meter and we will be happy again.

Last edited by jakeluck; 03-06-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #15
TevK
TevK doesn't litterTevK doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I bought Sarah Vowell's "Assassination Vacation" from the CONNECT store, and the photos and illustrations had simply been omitted entirely. It wasn't too big a deal, since they were only at the start of each section, but still annoying.

I would have preferred poor-quality images to none at all. =p
TevK is offline   Reply With Quote