Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
screwdriver223
screwdriver223 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best format for etextbook

Hi

I'm the editor of a textbook, and am interested in developing an ebook version to distribute with the next edition of the paper version. The textbook is ~1400 pages, and contains multiple figures, and tables. The book is published by a small publisher who is open to helping us deploy the book in whichever format we like. Ideally, the ebook would meet the following requirements:

1) Be accessible on iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows (phones, tablets, and computers). If possible, the format should be easily readable on, and 'adapt' to, multiple devices. It's easy to make a pdf version of the textbook that looks great on a computer screen, but is a pain to navigate on a phone. Of course, maintaining the formatting of the paper text is not an option with this requirement, but we're fine with an HTML-like format where the text wraps as needed.

2) Use a format that is accessible worldwide (Canada and the US is key -- other countries would be a plus).

3) Distribution. Be able to distribute the etext free to those who purchase the paper text, or sell the etext alone to those who only wish to purchase the ebook. Ideally, we'd like to have another company (e.g., Amazon or B&N) handle distribution, but we could do this from our own website if necessary.

4) Have secure DRM. We put a lot of work into our textbook (and the proceeds go to charity). An ebook that can be stripped of DRM only to be torrented is an instant deal breaker.

5) Be searchable, and have users able to highlight and annotate sections.

Is there any format that can satisfy these requirements? I would greatly appreciate any advice this community can provide!

Thank you,
Dave
screwdriver223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Sorry, you won't be making an etextbook. There is NO form of DRM that can't be defeated in some way, and since that is a deal breaker, your deal is broken. Also, you better not make a print version either, because it can be scanned and OCRed and put in a torrent.

If you decide to actually be realistic about the "secure DRM" fantasy, then there is only one way to go-- epub.

Last edited by ardeegee; 05-07-2011 at 01:14 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Yeah, nobody will try to pull the wool over your eyes with this one. You aren't going to find a fool-proof DRM method. They can all be cracked, one way or another.

Like the above poster....I'd probably say that epub would be your best bet.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I work in the education sector, and if I were to purchase yoour book I would love if it were epub - but with figures properly inserted so that they scale up and down with the font size (most epub publishers don't bother, though it can be done, and is a major issue).
Good luck!
(and yes, I agree that no DRM is going to hold very long, but if the textbook is fairly price, I would expect people to buy it).
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwdriver223 View Post
1) Be accessible on iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows (phones, tablets, and computers). If possible, the format should be easily readable on, and 'adapt' to, multiple devices. It's easy to make a pdf version of the textbook that looks great on a computer screen, but is a pain to navigate on a phone. Of course, maintaining the formatting of the paper text is not an option with this requirement, but we're fine with an HTML-like format where the text wraps as needed.

2) Use a format that is accessible worldwide (Canada and the US is key -- other countries would be a plus).

3) Distribution. Be able to distribute the etext free to those who purchase the paper text, or sell the etext alone to those who only wish to purchase the ebook. Ideally, we'd like to have another company (e.g., Amazon or B&N) handle distribution, but we could do this from our own website if necessary.

4) Have secure DRM. We put a lot of work into our textbook (and the proceeds go to charity). An ebook that can be stripped of DRM only to be torrented is an instant deal breaker.

5) Be searchable, and have users able to highlight and annotate sections.

Is there any format that can satisfy these requirements? I would greatly appreciate any advice this community can provide!
No.

1) is the holy grail of ebooks. No one has managed this really well with anything but very simple layouts.
2) is easier. Most formats are available most places.
3) You can bind in a CD in your text book with the ebook. You can also make the ebook available through several retailers separately.
4) Good luck. You have your choice of many fine DRM vendors who will sell you solutions. Theoretically, none of them work, or can work. In practice, most work tolerably. You'll probably pay more than you're getting in protection, though. Oh, and ebook vendors all have preferred (mandatory) methods, none of which are compatible.
5) Most formats do that.

Helpfully,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwdriver223 View Post
4) Have secure DRM.
Newsflash: No such thing; plus, consumers hate it. As other stated: epub (or mobi) would be the way to go.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 05-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I work in the education sector, and if I were to purchase yoour book I would love if it were epub - but with figures properly inserted so that they scale up and down with the font size (most epub publishers don't bother, though it can be done, and is a major issue).
I haven't seen figures to scale with the font size in an ePub as of yet. Can't imagine how to do it. Picture sizes won't accept em instead of pt afak. It would be interesting though...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I haven't seen figures to scale with the font size in an ePub as of yet. Can't imagine how to do it. Picture sizes won't accept em instead of pt afak. It would be interesting though...
ouch, thanks for clarifying, it must be I just thought I saw that!?

When zooming an epub, I was sure I have at least one book where the pictures were zoomed to, but if you say it is not possible it must have been my (wrong) impression, I am no tech person at all...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Quote:
Ideally, we'd like to have another company (e.g., Amazon or B&N) handle distribution,
Barnes&Noble won't sell outside the US... Sony or (better, I think) Kobo will distribute world wide.

Item 5 is dependent on the reader more than the format. The newer Sony reader would allow annotation, but the Kobo won't, for example.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
converting pdf textbooks to epub is very time consuming but it can be done. With care and caution the end result can look and read very well!

As to OP, you could always wrap your text in some kind of proprietary software thingy.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Hang on, you are suggesting someone actually try a method of protecting their text instead of ranting about giving it away... come on, consistency please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
As to OP, you could always wrap your text in some kind of proprietary software thingy.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I haven't seen figures to scale with the font size in an ePub as of yet. Can't imagine how to do it.
Why, SVG of course. Despite it being required by the epub format I don't know how many readers support it properly, though.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #13
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I believe the only option you have for a secure DRM is apples iBook format, I am not sure how good that format is and it would severely limit your distribution. I would say 90% of the torrented books are scanned paper books anyway.

I admit I made the 90% figure up :P but it is probably not far off the mark...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 AM   #14
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I believe the only option you have for a secure DRM is apples iBook format ...
Really? It just doesn't have the market share where anybody would have bothered to crack it yet. And, yes, unless you don't release pbooks a scanned copy will turn up sooner or later if the books is successful enough.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #15
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Really? It just doesn't have the market share where anybody would have bothered to crack it yet. And, yes, unless you don't release pbooks a scanned copy will turn up sooner or later if the books is successful enough.
And you could photograph every screen of an Ipad version, OCR that, and have a DRM-free version of the textbook.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote