Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Cool Is that a Kindle?

Maybe someone has already pointed this out, but take a look at this 'before and after' photo on the Plastic Logic website:

http://www.plasticlogic.com/FAQ.html

Click on the 'Download High Resolution Image' link and look at the image in full resolution (warning, it's 4368x2912!), then take a look at what's on top of the haphazard pile of books, binders, and magazines next to the woman on the left. Is that a Kindle 1 in the Amazon case that I see? Sure looks like one to me!

Subtle
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I think it's simply a notebook or calendar... That gray spot looks like one of those ribbon placeholders.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I think it's simply a notebook or calendar... That gray spot looks like one of those ribbon placeholders.
Think so? Compare it to this photo of my Kindle1 from a similar angle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindle-1.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	30838  
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:15 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
It does look very similar, but I think it's a coincidence; there's a metal clip along the top that makes it look like the Kindle 1. And I think the binder is just a bit too thick. Still, funny.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklaus View Post
Think so? Compare it to this photo of my Kindle1 from a similar angle...

No matter how much I zoom in, I can't see that button(?) that is next to the USB port on your device... But the resemblance is there, I agree.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
This is the picture in question
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PlasticLogicElectronicReadingDevice.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	30842  
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think it's a Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Definitely a Kindle. Holding my Kindle 1 at the same angle. it's identical. You can see the strap, the USB port area, the gray flap, even the stitching on the case.

It's actually a kind of clever dig, the woman on the left has a kindle and still needs a laptop and a stack of books and papers, while the one on the right just has her ginormous plastic logic reader.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 AM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I changed my mind. I sharpened up the image and you can just *barely* make out the outline of the power switch at the top, which is otherwise completely whited out. I agree with carld; it's intentional.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote