Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #16
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelschraube View Post
I wait some months, maybe there will be a new Kobo HD with 6 inch or the Poke 2 works with KOReader.
The Poke 2 works fine, as reported by cellaris. It is just that you won't get the speed bump you can imagine going from 1/2 to 4/8 cores. In fact any single core linux device outperforms these android e-ink devices except in a few cases (cache next page on pdf reflow, cache document on crengine...)

For me the big thing against Onyx, other than IP thief, is the navigation ball. Is just a very bad decision to skip a home button. Even worst: some models have a physical button mapped as "back".
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #17
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
So KOReader on Poke 2 is much slower than on the Clara HD? Is the navigation ball everytime on screen?
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #18
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
So KOReader on Poke 2 is much slower than on the Clara HD? Is the navigation ball everytime on screen?
I don't know. But my Bq Cervantes feels snappier than a Likebook Mimas in almost any action in KOReader: launch the app, do dict lookups, turn pages, navigate menus, open ToC, find text...

In other things the mimas seems a bit faster (but not what you expect from HW differences): reflow a pdf document, change font size on a reflowable document...

Input is the same on both (both gestures and input sensitivity). In theory capacitative layers are better than IR grids but that depends a lot of the specific implementation (ie, the Aura One has a capacitative TS and is completely broken, any IR device will work better than that!)

TL;DR: Comparing performance between a linux / android device is not fair. In theory the Poke 2 will be faster than other slower android devices and the Kobo Clara HD will be faster than other slower linux devices. But if you look at specs between these two models you'll think that Poke2 should be - at least - 10x speedier than the ClaraHD and it is not.

Anyways, lets wait for cellaris as he has both devices and probably can answer in practice, not in theory
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #19
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
It's true what @Frenzie says. But the Poke 2 has an application optimization system that allows to refresh the screen with any App. You can choose between a full screen refresh (as often as you like) or a rapid one, or mix the two. In practice, at the user level, there's no difference in performance. In my opinion, KOReader works fine in the Onyx Boox Poke 2.

I am much more critical about the contrast. I think Kobo Clara HD is much better in this respect. But that's a very subjective assessment. Some people don't think so.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #20
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
TL;DR: Comparing performance between a linux / android device is not fair. In theory the Poke 2 will be faster than other slower android devices and the Kobo Clara HD will be faster than other slower linux devices. But if you look at specs between these two models you'll think that Poke2 should be - at least - 10x speedier than the ClaraHD and it is not.

Anyways, lets wait for cellaris as he has both devices and probably can answer in practice, not in theory
I'm not exactly a lover of "speed". Honestly, I think you can read satisfactorily with KOReader even on a device as slow as the PocketBook Touch HD 3.

The Poke 2 is very powerful and runs any App at high speed. With KOReader it is no different. I don't know if it's faster or slower than Kobo Clara HD. On any of these devices I am satisfied with its performance.

I take this opportunity to talk about battery life. The Poke 2 has no problem in this respect. Although it is an Android device and has a relatively small battery, the reading programs have a low power consumption. With KOReader it performs very well.
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 01:20 PM   #21
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
Is the navigation ball everytime on screen?
The navigation ball is very discreet. It can be minimized on one side and a transparency of the 20℅ can be adjusted. When I read I don't appreciate it. But everyone's sensitivity is very different. Of course, you can also deactivate it and use the drop-down status bar to go back. I find it very useful, but I understand people who don't like it.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:44 AM   #22
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Thanks a lot for your answer, it gives a good light on the Poke2. The Poke 2 looks of course very good, if you say KOreader runs fast enough it is of course even better. It is also really light.

But: In reality I don't need a new tablet with E-Ink (I have an old one with LCD from Samsung with active lineage support). I only want to read with it, then a Kobo Clara HD is enough. Especially since I would have to pay VAT for shipping to Germany. Then the Poke 2 would be almost twice as expensive.

From Kobo there was now first the NIA new, now I do not know whether there is a new HD Reader. I do not know what to do, wait a little longer?
Old 07-17-2020, 03:14 AM   #23
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Have the Poke2, PB Touch HD 3 and KOBO Clara HD no ambient light sensor?
Old 07-17-2020, 06:43 AM   #24
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Other than for a potential price drop (based on past trends imo unlikely), I doubt there's a reason to. Unless the big new thing is color, the noticeable difference will be minimal to nonexistent. On the flip side, there's also the used market.

PS The Libra's pretty good. My wife just bought one. It's a little faster than my 2014 H2O and it can produce weird ugly orange lighting, but the buttons and slightly better DPI are frankly the only things worth mentioning. I think @NiLuJe is wearing "ooh, ain't that a new fun toy to play with" glasses.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #25
cellaris
Addict

Quote:
I only want to read with it, then a Kobo Clara HD is enough.
It's a good decision.

I use the Tolino Shine 3 to read "exclusively" with KOReader. It has the whitest illuminated screen I've seen on a 6" e-reader, and I take advantage of the Tolino Cloud to send the books. And I also use some Android utility to send and manage other files. It's a comfortable, cheap (in Europe) e-reader with a beautiful screen, and KOReader works fine. It is my favorite e-reader to use KOReader.
Old 07-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Frenzie: .

Curious how she/you feels about the (apparently only slightly) recessed screen?

I'll admit that coming from the H2O, going to a flush screen (i.e., Forma/Oasis/PW4) was almost my top priority ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 03:23 AM   #27
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Curious how she/you feels about the (apparently only slightly) recessed screen?
Neither of us feels much of anything about it.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:23 AM   #28
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Lightbulb

UuUuUuuuhh... Hello.

I used to have a Kindle 4 in 2012, then I bought a Pw2. Recently I rediscovered the Kindle 4, it is so nice and lightweight, only the typeface is a bit rough.

The difference between K4 and PW2 was very big. The difference between PW2 and another new 6" reader is not big enough.I want automatic brightness settings with light sensor, night light and light weight. Of course a flat front would be a great thing, but not on my priority list.

So I haven't decided yet, I guess I'll wait with the update.

@cellaris: Can I install F-Droid on the Tolino?
Old 07-19-2020, 04:19 AM   #29
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur

Crazy idea...: Maybe replace the battery of the PW by a smaller one to save weight. Charging once a week is not bad for me.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #30
cellaris
Addict

Quote:

@cellaris: Can I install F-Droid on the Tolino?
I don't have it installed, but it should work. Any Android 4.4 compatible app can be installed. (Obviously, you have to access Android first).