Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
Artefact2
Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
(SOLVED) Kobo Touch crashing (segfault) when loading converted epub

Hi everyone,

I am having an issue with my Kobo Touch and I have no idea how to fix it.

I downloaded a epub file from gutenberg (Le Rouge et le Noir). If I transfer the epub file as-is on my device, I can read it, as expected.

If I convert the epub with calibre (just to remove unnecessary styling, and normalize the font sizes), my device crashes: it dumps a stack log when trying to load the book, then reboots.

I have attached the original epub, the converted epub and the stack log.

Can you reproduce the issue on your device? What am I doing wrong?

I am running calibre 3.10 and my device is running firmware version 4.5.9587.

Regards
Attached Files
File Type: txt stack_04.txt (13.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: epub original.epub (445.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: epub converted.epub (552.5 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by Artefact2; 10-26-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Artefact2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I'll have a look at the books in a little bit, but the stack dump says the book is a kepub. Are you sending the book to the device using the KoboTouchExtended driver? And did you delete the book from the device before resending it after the conversion? If you didn't, try that.

The reason for the delete is that the conversion will change the internal structure of the book. When a book is added to the device, it is imported and the entries are put into the database for the ToC and internal file structure. Resending a book from calibre doesn't trigger this happening, so the database will have the file structure and ToC from the first version. The conversion will have restructured the book and rebuilt the ToC. The error looks like the device is trying to reopen the book to your last reading location and failing. That location no longer exists, and the crash happens.

That's my theory until I have a chance to test.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Can you try with this file and see what happens?

EDIT: I think davidfor is right, I assumed that the book was a converted kepub while reading the stack trace, and I have had a similar issue with converted kepubs on my kobo. If that does not work, you could still try the converted kepub below.
Attached Files
File Type: epub new.kepub.epub (558.6 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by geek1011; 10-26-2017 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Explain purpose of new book file
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
Artefact2
Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Artefact2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'll have a look at the books in a little bit, but the stack dump says the book is a kepub. Are you sending the book to the device using the KoboTouchExtended driver? And did you delete the book from the device before resending it after the conversion? If you didn't, try that.
Yes, I am using KoboTouchExtended. I deleted the book manually on the device then re-sent the book, and it worked. Thank you very much for the help (and sorry for wasting your time) !
Artefact2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
And the theory holds up.

Delete the book and send it again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The other issue is to validate the ePub before converting it to kepub. That could be an issue as ACCESS may not be expecting errors. Validate with epubckeck 4.0.2. Gutenberg ePub are made by machine and some I've seen were not all that well made.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote