Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-17-2017, 12:05 AM   #1
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Kobo h20 stuck updating

Hi all,

I tried updating my kobo h20 tonight to the latest firmware and it's stuck on the 5 restarting squares screen after the update. Any ideas what to do next? It's plugged in and it's been like this for awhile. I tried restarting it and also using a pin to reset it, nothing changes. Still stuck on the blinking lights. No issues at all previously. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Last edited by sparklemotion; 10-17-2017 at 12:36 AM.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:12 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
The same thing just happened to me when I was attempting to update my Aura HD. I ended up having to do a manual factory reset to fix my reader (following the instructions on Kobo's help site).

After the factory reset, I had to re-register my Aura HD, which ultimately updated the firmware to version 4.59587. I then ran the 4.69995 update again, and it completed successfully.

I'm not sure why the first update attempt failed, but my guess was that I was trying to update from too old a firmware version--I think I was on firmware version 3.15. Have no idea if this was the reason or not, but my Aura HD is now working fine--but I did have to reload all my books (and lost all my reading stats--which, although I found interesting didn't really upset me.)

Good luck!

Last edited by dordale; 10-17-2017 at 01:46 AM. Reason: edited to correct version updated to to 4.69995
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 01:47 AM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, dordale! It finally let me do a factory reset. For some reason it wouldn't let me the first few tries. Eventually I received a critical error message, then it gave me the option. I'm grateful to have it back working. Like you I was on an old firmware version (3.19) so maybe that caused it. I'll reload my books tomorrow, but I really dislike the new home screen. Sigh. Also I'm not happy about losing my stats, but oh well. The positive is that everything runs smoother and faster. Highlighting seems much better. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
ElWorm
Zealot
ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.ElWorm is that somebody.

Device: Kobo H2O, Paperwhite 3, Oasis 2, Pocketbook HD, Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Like you I was on an old firmware version (3.19)
I would be interested to know if you notice a very slight reduction in page turning speed with your updated firmware. I also updated from 3.19, and the pages seemed to turn just a little slower, just enough to annoy me and make me decide to go back to 3.19

Last edited by ElWorm; 10-17-2017 at 12:35 PM.
ElWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:55 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Sparklemotion--Glad you got your H2O up and running again!

I too much prefer the old home screen, but I think I'll be able to get used to the new screen. I liked the customizability of the old screen--especially with Davidfor's excellent utilities. But I do like the new menus, and with them find I don't need to access the home page much at all.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElWorm View Post
I would be interested to know if you notice a very slight reduction in page turning speed with your updated firmware. I also updated from 3.19, and the pages seemed to turn just a little slower, just enough to annoy me and make me decide to go back to 3.19
I don't notice any slowness at all, no. Page turns are quite instantaneous for me, actually. I'm sorry it's slowed down for you. The good thing is that it's easy enough to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Sparklemotion--Glad you got your H2O up and running again!

I too much prefer the old home screen, but I think I'll be able to get used to the new screen. I liked the customizability of the old screen--especially with Davidfor's excellent utilities. But I do like the new menus, and with them find I don't need to access the home page much at all.
Thanks Dordale! I'm so happy to have it back working, I was getting worried for a bit there. After living with the new home screen for a little while, I'm starting to really like certain things about it (like you, the new menus!) so I think I'll be able to get used to it fairly quickly. I would have preferred to have kept my stats, but I'm pretty much over it already. haha.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In an experimental mood, I decided to sync my most expendable Kobo, my Glo HD. Alas but not surprisingly it didn't update to the most recent firmware, which has a few bells and whistles I would like. It turns out I dislike the new homescreen as much as I expected; being able to toggle to my (pages and pages) of collections from any page isn't nearly so useful as having my most-accessed collections on the home page.

Well, once the latest firmware loads I'll see how I feel, but I suspect my other devices will never sync again.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote