Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #16
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The fact that Kobo CS suggests Ver 3.0 really is meaningless as like most CS they don't necessarily have accurate or correct information especially on more edge case issues like this (edge case currently anyway, will become a mainstream issue down the road).
It's not CS. It's a troubleshooting article. Much less likely to give out inaccurate or misleading information than a random CS rep. It probably happens a bunch and the only way an article like that is going to save money on CS is to actually work.

I'd also hope the folks at Kobo know what the DRM situation is like with Overdrive considering they are both owned by Rakuten...

Last edited by salamanderjuice; 07-25-2017 at 08:38 PM.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks for confirming a long standing question. This means that the ADE serve software in use by Overdrive is new enough to hand out the new DRM. So ADE 2.0.1 is the latest version you can use if you use Overdrive.
That would depend on whether the library system has updated their Adobe Content Server software.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I agree with you about not de-DRMing library books. To use an old fashioned word, removing DRM from library loans is immoral.
A handful of books I've gotten from the library came as epubs without drm and didn't require ADE to transfer them. It was really nice to be able to upgrade those from epub to kepub so I could zoom images...
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #19
coconutsoda
coconutsoda began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I tried the instructions on this thread and it made the situation worse. Before today, if I wanted a library book, I would get it on my laptop, open it in ADE, drag it onto my Aura One and read the book. I have done this dozens of times.

Today, I did the same thing and got a black cover and the You are not authorized. I signed out of everything, reauthorized the device and still the same. I can read it on the computer but have no interest in doing that. No idea what changed.

I deleted ADE from my computer and used the link posted to download 2.0. Now when I try to drag the book from ADE onto my device, I get a message that says "Copy Not Allowed. No Permission to Copy the Book." I went back to the Overdrive, redownloaded the book and if I try to open it in ADE it says, Error getting license.

I have come to the conclusion that both Kobo and Overdrive are the most half assed products ever. Between the glitches on the Kobo and this b.s. with Overdrive, it just ruins the reading experience because you have no idea if things are going to work or not.
coconutsoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:20 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutsoda View Post
I deleted ADE from my computer and used the link posted to download 2.0.
That would be ADE 2.0.1.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #21
Slk
Slk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo: AuraH20 Ed 1, Arc,iPadAir, iPadAir2,iPhone6,MacBookAir.OS Sierra
Unhappy ADE 2.01 and ADE 3.0 expired certificate Feb 2017-This solution no longer an option

Hello, I purchased this reader in March 2017 and have had major frustration with ADE and overdrive. I tried everything suggested everywhere with my Library, Overdrive help, Adobe ,Kobo helpsite for solutions. It has been hit and miss with success so I actually set this reader aside for several months and used my iPad instead.
It is now Oct 19,2017 and all I get now is the E-reader is Not Authorized message!
I retried all the solutions again including trying to use ADE 2.01 or 3.0 and the certificate from Adobe is no longer Valid as of Feb 2017 so that is no longer a solution for me.
I also tried installing the updates suggested elsewhere on this forum and was not successful.
Please help. I bought this device to replace my Kobo tablet that would no longer charge. The info on this device said Overdrive compatible. Since I had no issues with my previous Kobo I trusted this new Kobo Aura H20 would work as easily but it has been a nightmare.
As Hannah said, I no longer enjoy reading when hours of frustration are spent to no avail. I just joined up and this is my first post.
Thanks in advance,
Sandra
Slk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #22
Dithers
Dithers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slk View Post
Hello, I purchased this reader in March 2017 and have had major frustration with ADE and overdrive. I tried everything suggested everywhere with my Library, Overdrive help, Adobe ,Kobo helpsite for solutions. It has been hit and miss with success so I actually set this reader aside for several months and used my iPad instead.
It is now Oct 19,2017 and all I get now is the E-reader is Not Authorized message!
I retried all the solutions again including trying to use ADE 2.01 or 3.0 and the certificate from Adobe is no longer Valid as of Feb 2017 so that is no longer a solution for me.
I also tried installing the updates suggested elsewhere on this forum and was not successful.
Please help. I bought this device to replace my Kobo tablet that would no longer charge. The info on this device said Overdrive compatible. Since I had no issues with my previous Kobo I trusted this new Kobo Aura H20 would work as easily but it has been a nightmare.
As Hannah said, I no longer enjoy reading when hours of frustration are spent to no avail. I just joined up and this is my first post.
Thanks in advance,
Sandra
I have an H2O2 and I borrow Overdrive library books using a (very old and very slow) Windows 10 laptop and download for reading on my Kobo. I'm using ADE 4.5.5.173692, which was the latest version from Adobe UK as of a couple of months ago. Right now it works.

I've used ADE 3.0 and 2.0.1 in the recent past, with some success and a lot of frustration. For me, ADE 4.5.5 is a bit more stable, and a bit easier to use. I think that ADE 4.5.5 is clearer in how you:

Authorize or erase authorization for your pc (although this is hidden in ADE's Help menu)
Authorize or erase authorization for a connected device (the 'cogwheel' icon in the Devices section)

than were its predecessors.

But it's definitely one of those 'get it working and hope nothing changes' things - ADE is a comically clumsy application.
Dithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, but ADE 4.5.5 is not more stable if all you want to do is use it to download so you can move your ePub to Calibre to strip the DRM and then move to your Kobo. AE 2.0.1 is actual a lot more stable for this. With ADE 4.5.5, you might end up the new DRM that means you cannot use that ePub with your Kobo.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #24
Dithers
Dithers began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but ADE 4.5.5 is not more stable if all you want to do is use it to download so you can move your ePub to Calibre to strip the DRM and then move to your Kobo. AE 2.0.1 is actual a lot more stable for this. With ADE 4.5.5, you might end up the new DRM that means you cannot use that ePub with your Kobo.
I'm sure you're right, but if you don't want to move your ePub to Calibre to strip the DRM and then move to your Kobo - you just want to read a library book - you might find it easier with ADE 4.5.5. And I think that was Sandra's question.
Dithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:46 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
What certificate has expired? I have run ADE 2.0.1 in the last month or so, to download purchases from Kobo. I usually strip the DRM and use calibre, but I did use ADE in that time to put a book on one of my devices for testing. I don't remember there being any problems with this.

For the newer versions of ADE, sorry, I can't help. At the moment I'm not willing to change versions and lose the ability to "free" my books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #26
Slk

Smile ADE 4.56.177148 version used

Hello Dithers and JSWolf,

Thank you for your replies. Much appreciated to know that I am not alone.
I realize I did not state the ADE version I was using at 3 am or whenever I posted here so I included it above. Also my computer is a Mac with latest OS version installed.

Since then it is still Oct 19th here and I only slept a few hours this afternoon.
I tried again tonight and still had same result with one book successful transfer to e-book and one not " DRM not authorized message and will not transfer "

I called KObo support and spoke to a rep who said she could reset my DRM authorization for Kobo books and maybe that would work as she had an earlier call with same issue and this worked. She emphasized that this was not the library DRM auth. I would get response in 24-72 hours. After she reset, I again tried 1 more book with no success.

I then went to ADobe support forum to post my problem. Before I posted, I was able to successfully transfer 2 books. And lo and behold the 2 books that failed to transfer earlier today (in early AM hours), I was able to open and read although the book covers were still a blank black rectangle. Also, no indication that it was a Library book that would expire??
I now have 5 imported books that I can read. I am exhausted and afraid do connect my Kobo again.

It appears the patch worked or Kobo reset of my DRM auth while on phone worked. Not sure which. I will post an update.

YOu can read my post on the Adobe Forum Support for Kobo/Mac/OVerdrive/ADE issues. at

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2229441

I am too tired to make sure my links and use of this site in repying to you both comes across clearly. Thanks again for your support, going to bed now, too frustrated too read but I wanted to Post a Reply.

I still posted my details because I wanted Adobe to be aware how cumbersome and unreliable ADE is with my New Kobo Aura H20 purchased in March of this year!! 2017 , I do not know who to raise the issue with more, but since both Kobo and Overdrive are now both owned by Rakuten you would think they could get it together.

I wish I could get all those hours back that I have spent in frustration. Hours that I could have spent reading and not cracking up! and setting this device aside for months for my own mental health. iPad saved me but this purchase was my "treat to myself". The only reason that I purchased this e-reader was due to my Kobo Arc no longer would charge.(I was lucky to get 5 years of use considering well known issues with it) AND since I was going to be off work for a medical procedure and would actually have time to read while I recovered, I wanted to be able to borrow books and not have to purchase all new books.Over the past months, I have lost titles that I was on wait list for from Library and now have 5 titles to read 4 of which I did not really want, but I was tired of losing ability to read titles I wanted.

Thanks again,
Sandra
Old 10-19-2017, 10:04 PM   #27
Slk

Thanks davidfor too for your reply while I was still typing above reply. My Mac would not install older ADE 2.0 and 3.0 versions as certificates from Adobe Canada expired in Feb 2017.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:52 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks davidfor too for your reply while I was still typing above reply. My Mac would not install older ADE 2.0 and 3.0 versions as certificates from Adobe Canada expired in Feb 2017.
The Mac is validating a certificate during the install? I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose there is a lot more checking of software happening now. I think Windows still allows unsigned software to be installed, but I don't know what would happen with a signed application that it couldn't verify he certificate.

For the black covers, that's probably caused by the DRM not working the first time the book was seen on the device. The device generates a cover image for the books as needed and stores this. For an epub, this is done by rendering the first page. In the case of an Adobe DRM protected book on a device that isn't authorise, this produces a black cover. ADE won't be removing the generated cover when you resent the book, so the device mustn't be removing it either. Or it is using a cached version and restarting the device will fix this. Otherwise, you can use calibre with my Kobo Utilities plugin to remove the cover and let the device regenerate it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:52 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dithers View Post
I'm sure you're right, but if you don't want to move your ePub to Calibre to strip the DRM and then move to your Kobo - you just want to read a library book - you might find it easier with ADE 4.5.5. And I think that was Sandra's question.
And if Overdrive updates the DRM server software, you won't be able to read an ePub with your Kobo. That's why 4.5.5 is risk not worth taking.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #30
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
I finally got two library books to open on my H2O using the "2 books, 1 transfer" trick I saw somewhere on this forum a long while ago. I could never successfully do 1 book at a time from ADE to H2O. As I recall, the trick was said to then "fix" any subsequent transfers. Unfortunately, this didn't happen and I still can't transfer any more books, trick or no trick. I always get the same Oops! message from Kobo.

So, with the exact same firmware, ADE, and a bunch of library books, I was able to transfer 2 books successfully. None before and none since. Weird. (For test purposes, the books were all current bestsellers from the same library source downloaded the same day.)

Now, I say "successfully," but in fact both of the books that I could open ended up having a huge font size that I couldn't make smaller, publisher default notwithstanding. So, in the end, the 2 I did transfer were both unreadable anyways.

Thank heaven there are more reliable and easier ways to deal with DRM.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote