Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Koreader VS Hyphenate This!

Recently I was experiment with "Hyphenate This!" plugin of Calibre.
The results is very acceptable for my taste in both languages (Greek and English) on Nickel interface. The soft hyphens shows just right and easy to read.
I'm using the hyphen dicts from OpenOffice (for the Greek lang) and the English hyphen dict from a file I find on our forum.
Everything seems OK on Nickel, but on Koreader, the same epub files seems so messy; without spaces between the first words in some lines. This also happens in 5-7 lines of the whole page. (Pics included)
I don't have the time and knowledge for adding codes in html or styleseets CSS (or even the structure of epub files) to make those files to work acceptable in Koreader interface and the only solution I came with is to add another folder named: .Books [Koreader] and placed the same files here with NO hyphens from this plugin. The Nickel interface sees only the dir "Books" that I was sideload on my device with hyphens enabled.
On KoReader I try all the available setting, such: All render styles, enable/disable Floating punctuation and Hyphenation, but the result is the same as described above.
I use the nightly Koreader version 533, but the same problem occurs on latest nightly.

BTW, all my library is almost 360MB (446 Books) and I have a plenty of space on my internal card to store both libraries with the same files. But, I'm so curious to seek a better solution or suggestion on this.

On KoReader with Hyphenate This! enable:

On Nickel, with [also] Hyphenate This! enable:

Last edited by WolfBack; 09-02-2016 at 03:31 PM.
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You do not use soft-hyphens with ePub. For one thing, you botch searching. You use a better English hyphenation dictionary such as the one here. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=252405
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Thanks JSWolf.
I will try the this. If this works, then I have to find a better Greek hyphen dict than OpenOffice.
Thanks a lot!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBack View Post
Thanks JSWolf.
I will try the this. If this works, then I have to find a better Greek hyphen dict than OpenOffice.
Thanks a lot!
What's wrong with the OpenOffice hyphenation dictionary?

One problem with some hyphenation dictionaries is that he right/left min values are set too high to work effectively. The default Kobo hyphenation dictionaries are like that. The one I linked has the values set low enough to work effectively.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #5
WolfBack
Zealot

You think that I made a fault with the setting of Hyphenate This! ?
I was change the left and right limits with this;
LEFTHYPHENMIN: 2
RIGHTHYPHENMIN: 3

You think its too aggressive for my hyphen files?
Advert
Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I have left and right set to 2 and it works very well. No need to add in soft hyphens that don't work well.

Soft hyphens only really work well with Kindles.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
WolfBack
Zealot

Thanks a lot, JSWolf!
I will try some more changes in L/R limits.
If this works, that's fine. If not, then I leave the both library folders on my devices intact.
One folder for Koreader and the other for Nickel.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
WolfBack
Zealot

Update:
I try some changes on L/R limits on epub files.
The problem insist on Koreader and I realize that something goes wrong with the hyphens on Koreader UI...
Nothing matters. I like the hyphens on nickel, but is almost an-readable on Koreader. I will keep my first solution for this and I will keep my both folders on my devices...
Every epub without hyphens works great on Koreader.
Every hyphen epub (with Hyphenate This! plugin) works great ONLY in nickel.
I get used to this...
Old 09-04-2016, 06:27 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBack View Post
Update:
I try some changes on L/R limits on epub files.
The problem insist on Koreader and I realize that something goes wrong with the hyphens on Koreader UI...
Nothing matters. I like the hyphens on nickel, but is almost an-readable on Koreader. I will keep my first solution for this and I will keep my both folders on my devices...
Every epub without hyphens works great on Koreader.
Every hyphen epub (with Hyphenate This! plugin) works great ONLY in nickel.
I get used to this...
The English dictionary I linked in post #2 of this thread works very well. By using that hyphenation dictionary, you do not need to have two copies of the same book and you only need one copy on your Kobo. So I would not use Hyphenate This! As you don't need it because there is a very good hyphenation dictionary that does away with the need for the plugin.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #10
WolfBack
Zealot

Thanks, JSWolf!
I will try your suggestions, JSWolf, and I hope that works fine on my English epubs.
If that works, I will free a 100MB of space on my three devices! (And then I will seeking for a better Greek hyphen dict than OpenOffice one!)
Old 09-04-2016, 09:32 PM   #11
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
You don't use the dictionary in Hyphenate this, but you replace the dictionary kobo provided with it. You can in the same way exchange the greek one with a new one (or you take the existing one and just change the settings in it). Nickel can hyphenate from the get go, the rules are just set in a way they nearly never trigger, as JWolf has said.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:32 AM   #12
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
(sorry for the bump but : )

Even if we could bypass the problem shown in the OP, basically, it's a bug : when there is a lingering shy hyphen in a book and when the crengine cut the word at this shy hyphen, the following word is glue with the previous one. (this is still the case in 2017 with the nightly koreader 2017-03-08.

Regards,
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You do not use soft-hyphens with ePub. For one thing, you botch searching. You use a better English hyphenation dictionary such as the one here. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252405
Although one might argue that a good search algorithm should ignore soft hyphens.

I created an issue here to track it: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/2794
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:43 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does Koreader have good hyphenation? With ADE on a Kobo, I am using the same hyphenation dictionary with my Kobo as I am Hyphenate This! So no need for ADE to be able to deal soft hyphens.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't know how good they are but I have 28 files for 20 some languages, in my KOReader "/data/hyph" folder. The English one is the only one I need, I guess I should get rid of the rest. The English one seems to work fine, as far as I have noticed, but it's not something I pay a lot of attention to.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote