Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #1
rboatright
rboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Mini
Smile Windows ebook reader with Text to Speech.

[Begin Rant]
On my android devices I have available excellent ebook readers with good library management tools, and which can use the wide variety of excellent android voices available from many sources.

On my windows devices, while Calibre does an absolutely freaking wonderful job of library management, no good, well featured READER app has text-to-speech capability.

Sure I can run Balaboka, and get TTS, but I can't use it as my usual reader, it just doesn't support the ability to read things the way I want to.

On Moon Reader, I can use the publisher's css, or I can set Moon to my favorite font and such and turn off most of the built in css. I get some of that with Calibre reader, some of it with Freda, but not all, and neither of them do TTS, so I can't switch back and forth between text mode and speech as I go through my day on the same device.

Of course, in an ideal world, the reader on my android device would sync with my windows reader so when I open a book, I'ld be at the same place no matter which device I was on.

Then, there's the derth of voices on Windows. Essentially all the decent ones are expensive, and all the free ones are of marginal quality, and none of them adjust pitch and speed as fluidly as the voices on android.
[End Rant]

Does anyone have offers of explanations, or suggestions about what to use?

Thanks

Rick
rboatright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #2
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
I get some of that with Calibre reader, some of it with Freda, but not all, and neither of them do TTS, so I can't switch back and forth between text mode and speech as I go through my day on the same device.
Freda does support TTS. Just select some text, and then choose 'read' from the menu, to begin read-aloud text-to-speech.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
rboatright
rboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheeserboatright can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
Freda does support TTS. Just select some text, and then choose 'read' from the menu, to begin read-aloud text-to-speech.
Really??? Thank you very much. $$ on the way.
rboatright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moon+ Pro also supports TTS. I used to use it with Ivona TTS on my Onyx T68 and it worked very well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Moon+ Pro also supports TTS. I used to use it with Ivona TTS on my Onyx T68 and it worked very well.
Does Moon+ run on Windows?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Does Moon+ run on Windows?

Shari
My apologies - I misread the initial message.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #7
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Book Bazaar Reader is another option on Windows 8.1 & 10
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 PM   #8
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
fbreader has a windows app; very old as in 2010; but claimed that a 0.99 version will be available in 2015 which hasn't been seen anywhere I could find. There is also icecream which doesn't have TTS in the free version & haven't seen any info what the paid version does & that it has TTS.

My problem with the various versions is that each app wanted the books to be in that app's own library; cannot use a common place for the books.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote